Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Haven't We Shot Down Spy Balloon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Because I think this whole balloon thing is an overreaction, it's CCP propaganda? That doesn't leave much that's acceptable except for the current hysteria.
    FWIU, the Chicoms are already using our fumbling as propaganda.

Vietnam has been making overtures to the U.S. about increasing our relations diplomatically and commercially. Why? Because China is once again approaching on their territories (they also have experience with Chinese spy balloons), interested in some of the minerals the country has.

But China is telling them to forget it because, not only look at the series of cluster FUBARs that was the Afghan bugout as evidence that we'll abandon them, but now also our handling of the spy balloon to show that we cannot even defend our own airspace so why would you think they can defend you sitting on the other side of the Pacific Ocean? They are using it to pressure Vietnam into making a deal with them while their is still time to do so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        FWIU, the Chicoms are already using our fumbling as propaganda.

Vietnam has been making overtures to the U.S. about increasing our relations diplomatically and commercially. Why? Because China is once again approaching on their territories (they also have experience with Chinese spy balloons), interested in some of the minerals the country has.

But China is telling them to forget it because, not only look at the series of cluster FUBARs that was the Afghan bugout as evidence that we'll abandon them, but now also our handling of the spy balloon to show that we cannot even defend our own airspace so why would you think they can defend you sitting on the other side of the Pacific Ocean? They are using it to pressure Vietnam into making a deal with them while their is still time to do so.
        I'm not particularly interested in the US getting into some sort of protection plan with Vietnam anyway. I think we are too much into that sort of game as it is, doing the "world cop" thing.

By the way, has anyone explained how the Yukon UFO got into the center of that territory without first being detected in Alaska first? Or did it come in from the arctic?

Comment

I'm not particularly interested in the US getting into some sort of protection plan with Vietnam anyway. I think we are too much into that sort of game as it is, doing the "world cop" thing.

By the way, has anyone explained how the Yukon UFO got into the center of that territory without first being detected in Alaska first? Or did it come in from the arctic?
          No like all the balloons it simply followed the jet stream. The decisions were made in cooperation with Canada. Some possible considerations are: Avoid areas with population. The ballon was, of course moving and the jet stream air speed velocities way be up to 275 mph, and whether the balloon represented a security threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

No like all the balloons it simply followed the jet stream. The decisions were made in cooperation with Canada. Some possible considerations are: Avoid areas with population. The ballon was, of course moving and the jet stream air speed velocities way be up to 275 mph, and whether the balloon represented a security threat.
            I'm not sure how any of that relates to my post.

Comment

I'm not sure how any of that relates to my post.
              It basically answered what the path of the balloon was and obvious likely reasons why it was shot down where it was.

For example; it could not have come from over the Arctic. It had to follow the jet stream from the West
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-12-2023, 12:22 PM.

Comment

It basically answered what the path of the balloon was and obvious likely reasons why it was shot down where it was.

For example; it could not have come from over the Arctic. It had to follow the jet stream from the West
                I agree with that. What I am curious about is why there was no mention of it until it was shot down over the Yukon. Judging by the reports, it wasn't detected until it was OVER the Yukon, suggesting it got all the way through Alaska undetected.

Comment

Considering our history I suspect the absolute last thing they want are American troops in their country. Rather they want to strengthen commercial ties and to buy arms.

I'm always still in trouble again

Comment

I agree with that. What I am curious about is why there was no mention of it until it was shot down over the Yukon. Judging by the reports, it wasn't detected until it was OVER the Yukon, suggesting it got all the way through Alaska undetected.
                    One of the reasons that leaves the discovery time open to question is that it took time to negotiate the shooting down the balloon in heading toward Canada. Also note the potential speed of the Jet Stream the balloon was following. It could have been a matter of hours to cross Alaska.

Nothing I have read so far 'suggested' anything as to when it was discovered. There is also the consideration to avoid areas that were populated.

Comment

Which part of 'balloons are not easy to detect' have you failed to grasp after 33 pages of this thread???

Comment

Latest info indicated that his object was detected tracked and monitored when it entered US air space. The reasons I cited are still likely

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/12/politics/unidentified-object-canada-alaska-military-latest/index.html

‘A cylindrical object’

The unidentified object that was shot down in Canadian airspace had been tracked since Friday evening, according to a statement from Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder.

The object was detected by North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), and two F-22 fighter jets from Joint Base Elemendorf-Richardson, Alaska, were sent up to monitor the object with the help of the Alaska Air National Guard.

The object appears to be a “cylindrical object” smaller than the Chinese surveillance balloon that was shot down previously, Canadian Defense Minister Anita Anand said at a news conference on Saturday.

“Monitoring continued today as the object crossed into Canadian airspace, with Canadian CF-18 and CP-140 aircraft joining the formation to further assess the object,” Ryder’s statement said.

Eyre said Saturday that “the instructions that were given to the the team was whoever had the first best shot to take out the balloon had to go ahead.”

US President Joe Biden and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau both approved the shoot-down on Saturday, according to a statement from the White House.

“President Biden authorized US fighter aircraft assigned to NORAD to conduct the operation and a US F-22 shot down the object in Canadian territory in close coordination with Canadian authorities,” the White House statement said. “The leaders discussed the importance of recovering the object in order to determine more details on its purpose or origin.”

The object was shot down with a AIM-9X missile from a US F-22 – the same missile and aircraft that shot down an unidentified object on Friday, and the Chinese surveillance balloon on February 4.

“The object was flying at an altitude of approximately 40,000 feet, had unlawfully entered Canadian airspace and posed a reasonable threat to the safety of civilian flight. The object was shot down approximately 100 miles from the Canada-United States border over Canadian territory in central Yukon,” she said.

Ryder’s statement said that while Canadian authorities conduct recovery operations, the FBI will be “working closely with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.”

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Which part of 'balloons are not easy to detect' have you failed to grasp after 33 pages of this thread???
                          The object shot down over the Yukon is reportedly some sort of cylinder travelling at around 40,000 ft. Not a balloon at 65,000 ft.

Comment

Latest info indicated that his object was detected tracked and monitored when it entered US air space. The reasons I cited are still likely

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/12/politics/unidentified-object-canada-alaska-military-latest/index.html

‘A cylindrical object’

The unidentified object that was shot down in Canadian airspace had been tracked since Friday evening, according to a statement from Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder.

The object was detected by North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), and two F-22 fighter jets from Joint Base Elemendorf-Richardson, Alaska, were sent up to monitor the object with the help of the Alaska Air National Guard.

The object appears to be a “cylindrical object” smaller than the Chinese surveillance balloon that was shot down previously, Canadian Defense Minister Anita Anand said at a news conference on Saturday.

“Monitoring continued today as the object crossed into Canadian airspace, with Canadian CF-18 and CP-140 aircraft joining the formation to further assess the object,” Ryder’s statement said.

Eyre said Saturday that “the instructions that were given to the the team was whoever had the first best shot to take out the balloon had to go ahead.”

US President Joe Biden and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau both approved the shoot-down on Saturday, according to a statement from the White House.

“President Biden authorized US fighter aircraft assigned to NORAD to conduct the operation and a US F-22 shot down the object in Canadian territory in close coordination with Canadian authorities,” the White House statement said. “The leaders discussed the importance of recovering the object in order to determine more details on its purpose or origin.”

The object was shot down with a AIM-9X missile from a US F-22 – the same missile and aircraft that shot down an unidentified object on Friday, and the Chinese surveillance balloon on February 4.

“The object was flying at an altitude of approximately 40,000 feet, had unlawfully entered Canadian airspace and posed a reasonable threat to the safety of civilian flight. The object was shot down approximately 100 miles from the Canada-United States border over Canadian territory in central Yukon,” she said.

Ryder’s statement said that while Canadian authorities conduct recovery operations, the FBI will be “working closely with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.”

© Copyright Original Source

One can only guess they actually tracked it earlier than that, but didn't report it publicly.

Comment

The object shot down over the Yukon is reportedly some sort of cylinder travelling at around 40,000 ft. Not a balloon at 65,000 ft.
                              And....?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

And....?
                                And what? Authorities as of yet haven't identified it as a "balloon."

Comment