Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ivan Provorov; Off With Head!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Excellent point!
    This man is a complete idiot...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What this thread shows, again, is that seer never misses a chance to hate gays. My advice is simply to ignore this type of deliberately divisive news coverage attacking gays, etc.

Once again, religion is being used as a weapon. Abandon this tactic before it is too late.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        What this thread shows, again, is that seer never misses a chance to hate gays. My advice is simply to ignore this type of deliberately divisive news coverage attacking gays, etc.

Once again, religion is being used as a weapon. Abandon this tactic before it is too late.
        Did I say anything about gays? How about Ivan Provorov, a Christian, being vilified for NOT doing something?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Did I say anything about gays? How about Ivan Provorov, a Christian, being vilified for NOT doing something?
          Nobody is complaining about Ivan Provorov. What you should resist is the impression that your brand of Christianity is becoming a gay bashers club by focusing so much on this sort of story setting up a clash between religion and gays +.

Comment

Nobody is complaining about Ivan Provorov. What you should resist is the impression that your brand of Christianity is becoming a gay bashers club by focusing so much on this sort of story setting up a clash between religion and gays +.
            Yes, the sports media is in fact attacking him along with gay groups. They are setting up the conflict...

Comment

The only thing that is being used "as a weapon" is diversity, inclusion, and equity nonsense. "Be affirming or else" is not inclusion nor tolerance.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

That is why I stopped watching after 50+ years...
                Gotta be honest, never understood the appeal. If I want to watch cars turning left for 3 hours I'll get a lawn chair and sit out at a busy intersection.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Gotta be honest, never understood the appeal. If I want to watch cars turning left for 3 hours I'll get a lawn chair and sit out at a busy intersection.
                  Bumper to bumper, side swiping at180 MPH + - I loved it...

Comment

Nobody is complaining about Ivan Provorov.
                    Wrong. The MSM is besides itself with outrage

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bumper to bumper, side swiping at180 MPH + - I loved it...
                      You've never been to Denver- at the right intersection you can get that too

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You've never been to Denver- at the right intersection you can get that too
                        Mexico City.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nobody is complaining about Ivan Provorov.
                          You say such blatantly false things that are so easily proven untrue. Below is just a small sample of outrage from news and websites. It doesn't even bother to touch those up in arms on social media.

Source: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/19/nhl-is-offside-for-not-benching-provorov-who-skipped-pride-night-warm-ups.html

The NHL is the first to say hockey is for everybody. Tuesday night proved otherwise.

Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Ivan Provorov did not take part in the Flyers Pride Night warm-ups, citing his religious beliefs. He was the only Flyer to not participate in the warm-ups. Provorov claimed he “respects everyone’s choices” and his choice is “to stay true to myself and my religion.”

Head coach John Tortorella doubled-down on Provorov’s decision, stating that he had no intention of removing Provorov from the roster. Provorov played the most minutes out of all of the Flyers during Tuesday’s game.

“It’s one thing I respect about (Provorov), he’s always true to himself,” Tortorella said post-game. The NHL also released a statement Wednesday morning, saying players were free to support whatever initiatives they liked.

The integrity of the league — and the sport — is being called into question. For a league that prides themselves as trying to make the game “more welcoming, inclusive, accessible and socially conscious,” its response undermines these intentions.

Protests are an integral part of sporting history because they’ve changed the face of sport. We’ve seen it with the likes of Colin Kaepernick in 2016 kneeling for the national anthem and Billie Jean King in the 1970s boycotting tournaments for equal pay to play. The difference is that Provorov is using his protest to diminish equality for all — not promote it.

Provorov is using his Russian Orthodox religion as a way to justify his homophobia — in 2017, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church compared gay marriage to Nazism. We see “textjacking” — taking Bible verses out of their original context to explain a belief system — used to defend discrimination. But loving your neighbour is a universal theme in all religions, which is mysteriously left out in these conversations.

Who you love is not a choice, unlike Provorov suggests. Being accepting of all, regardless of their sexuality, ethnicity or religion, is not a major ask.

It’s not that Tortorella and the NHL don’t punish their athletes — they do. The NHL will punish players for much smaller infractions, including suspending players if they skip the All-Star Game. In 2016, Tortorella threatened to bench players who knelt for the national anthem, fuelled by the fact that his son was a United States Army Ranger. He reversed his stance in 2020. If nothing else, this is a failure on the coaching staff as well as the organization for facilitating Provorov’s behaviour.

The question is whether or not the league reserves the right to bench and suspend players because of their belief system. You cannot punish someone into becoming more compassionate. Whether the NHL believes its message of inclusivity internally, its should still practice what its preaches externally.

The United States and Canada promote freedom of speech and religion for all of its citizens. But freedom of speech does not — and should not — equate to freedom from consequences.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/ivan-provorov-flyers-pride-night-lgbtq-20230118.html

So, let’s not complicate the issue. Provorov refused to warm up Tuesday night against Anaheim because he does not support the right of LGBTQ+ people to even exist. He cites his devotion to the Russian Orthodox Church; in his eyes, their life is a sin. About that: Patriarch Kirill, the church’s leader in Russia and reportedly a former KGB agent, in May justified Russia’s invasion of Ukraine because Ukraine allows Gay Pride parades, and if Russia and other homophobic states do not oppress LGBTQ+ persons, “then human civilization will end there.”

Source: https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/opinion/2023/01/18/thanks-ivan-provorov-for-showing-us-why-we-need-to-keep-fighting.html

Thanks, Ivan Provorov, for showing us why we need to keep fighting

The Flyers defenceman’s refusal to wear a rainbow-themed Pride Night jersey during warm-ups reminded us where everyone really stands.

I, personally, think we should thank Ivan Provorov. You might disapprove of the Philadelphia Flyers defenceman today after he refused to wear a rainbow-coloured Pride Night jersey before Philly’s game Tuesday, and you might deplore that the Flyers played him nearly 23 minutes anyway. That’s fine.

That’s super, actually. You should disapprove of those things. Flyers coach John Tortorella might try to smear lipstick all over this pig by saying, “With Provy, he’s being true to himself and to his religion (and) that’s one thing I respect about Provy — he’s always true to himself.” But just as bigots often remain bigots, a pig remains a pig.

Source: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/john-tortorella-doubles-down-in-defense-of-ivan-provorov-he-did-nothing-wrong-201421397.html

You Can Play [NHL Activism Partner] issued a statement via Twitter on Thursday that defended Provorov's decision to not participate in Pride Night, which they later deleted after receiving backlash.

"There is plenty of room in hockey, & sport for those in the LGTBQ+ community & allies & advocates. There is also room (and must be) for those who do not wish to participate as an ally," the statement read. "There is no room, however, for those who hate & exclude anyone; and we must know the difference."

Source: https://deadspin.com/ivan-provorov-john-tortorella-flyers-pride-night-lgbtq-1850000020

Ivan Provorov, John Tortorella once again show that hockey can’t move forward [Updated]

This is becoming, sadly and infuriatingly, a familiar story in sports. The NHL wants you to believe that “hockey is for everyone,” except that it never seems to filter down to anyone in the game below the tagline.

Ivan Provorov, on Pride Night in Philadelphia, refused to wear the rainbow-themed jerseys the Flyers sported for warmups. So he wasn’t on the ice for warm-ups. But he played in the game. (“My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion. That’s all I’m going to say,” Provorov said afterward.)

And his coach, John Tortorella, didn’t seem to care all that much. Which is certainly a departure from how Tortorella used to feel about players respecting beliefs (in fairness to Torts, he did walk that back years later).

Hockey is for everyone

But what Tortorella and Provorov don’t realize, or do and just don’t care about, is that they are the reason that teams have Pride nights, that there have to be these dedicated campaigns to show support for the LGBTQ+ community and to let them know they are as welcome in hockey as anyone else. Because hockey, as much if not more than any other sport, has not made any of that community feel welcome for pretty much its entire existence.

The move here, the only correct one, would have been to not let Provorov play. To tell Flyers fans, especially LGBTQ+ Flyers fans, that the organization has their back and will not accept homophobia in any form. Because that’s what it is, no matter how shrouded in his religion Provorov wants to make it and Tortorella wants to wimp out and hide behind too. Torts is a hardass until it really matters. If your religion teaches that some people are less worthy of rights, inclusion, and care because of who they are, your religion is a steaming pile of shit. Plain and simple.

What should be pointed out to both of these dumbfucks is that there’s likely an LGBTQ+ player in their dressing room, who very well might feel like he can’t live openly and comfortably as an NHL player because this kind of crap flows so freely within the league and game. Someone should ask them about that. Provorov is making a statement that he thinks that individual is beneath him, and Tortorella is essentially sanctioning it.

Gary Bettman should take action, but he won’t

The next move should be Gary Bettman stepping in and suspending both, but don’t sit on a hot stove waiting for that to happen. Much like Rob Manfred was buried somewhere in his scumbag hovel when the Tampa Bay Rays pulled this horseshit this past summer. One can’t help but feel they opened the doors for this kind of thing on these shores, when none of those players were punished for camouflaging themselves as servants of the Bible while being bigots. And also being completely oblivious to what Jesus’s message actually was. Idrissa Gueye, then of PSG and now of Everton, refused to wear the pride jersey the club was featuring once and wasn’t allowed to play.

Provorov can spew whatever drivel he can think of about respecting choices or people all he wants, but he did the exact opposite. His actions, and the Flyers’ inaction, make it clear that he agrees that the LGBTQ+ not only have no place in hockey but in the world, and simply ignores if not pisses on the struggles they’ve had to even feel comfortable being a hockey fan.

Provorov is allowed to be an idiot, but his coach and team certainly don’t have to sanction it. It’s certainly not like the Flyers have a lot to lose, given the rate their season, and direction, have furiously dug themselves into a crater. We keep ceding ground to those claiming “religion” in lieu of being honest about their hate, ignorance, and insecurity, and those of us who want everyone accepted and with the same rights and freedoms are the ones who keep losing things. This was an easy place to declare it would stop, and everyone whiffed.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You say such blatantly false things that are so easily proven untrue. Below is just a small sample of outrage from news and websites. It doesn't even bother to touch those up in arms on social media.
                            Do you think facts are going to sway FF? Good research BTW...

Comment

Do you think facts are going to sway FF? Good research BTW...
                              No, but disproving such blatant untruths is worth it on its own.

Comment

Yes, the sports media is in fact attacking him along with gay groups. They are setting up the conflict...
                                The controversy is mainly being stirred up in the right wing press. They like to promote ‘culture war’ issues because they know they will get clicks from folks like you. They and you keep things like this going, and you get to play victim, your favorite role.

Comment