Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Leftists Hide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Picking frog hairs for political correctness. My wife is Chinese and NOT offended by the term.

What term would you suggest?
    Ah, the old, "but I have black friends defense"

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

H_A used the term "Oriental" and I mentioned that the term is archaic. She said that it wasn't in Europe, so I pecked around online and concluded she was correct.

My objection to terms is when they are vague. Is a "Native American" what used to be called "American Indian" or is it anyone born in America? Should be the latter. Or is someone here who is from Egypt or Libya an "African American"? Or only sub-Saharan black Africans? An "Asian American" could be anyone with roots from Japan all the way to Lebanon. I'm not crazy about categorizing people (that's the Leftist's game) but if we're going to do it then it should make sense.

Growing up, my interpretation of "the Orient" was that of central eastern Asia, centered around the Great Wall. That made sense to me, identifying a region of Asia. But in the European sense it covers pretty much all of Asia.
      Shuny is a he and is American living in North Carolina. Not sure how what they do in Europe is pertinent, and FWIU, Orient also includes the Mid East and at one time North Africa.

As for "Native American" it is similar to African-American. Technically Elon Musk, born in Africa, is an African-American but it isn't what we typically think of when we use the term.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The point is extreme racism and religious prejudice is universal ingrained in USA culture and everyone is in denial.
        It's not so much in denial as that there are certain points that people are missing:

1. It's hard to defeat the heavy prejudice in America when one party insists everything be centered around taking race into consideration, and dividing races into oppressed and oppressors. That division exacerbates the problem, it doesn't help solve it. On the part of the "oppressed" it creates animosity, and for the "oppressors" it creates defensiveness, neither of which is conducive to a situation that will overcome that prejudice. In addition, since there are multiple "oppressed" groups, each being taught to value their group and be on the lookout for people attacking it, it creates a fractured group that is looking our for their own group, and looking at the others in suspicion.

2. The redefinition of racism also causes more harm than good. Take a look at the situation this thread is about. Everyone clearly agrees that this is (old term) "racist". Yet, since this is a person of color, it's merely 'prejudiced' because in the power dynamic, latino's don't have power in the united states. It creates a situation where identical behaviors have different terms, and yet, one term is considered objectively worse than the other, often causing perpetrators of the other term to be given an free pass. It didn't happen this time, but often it does.

Comment