Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dozens fired after "Day with no Immigrants" protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    So, if you need petrol on Christmas morning, who is working the station to set the pump?
    The chap who is being paid time and a half for working on a public holiday in additional to taking an alternative day off.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
      Leaving businesses shorthanded is exactly what's going to happen to many businesses if all the illegal immigrants are round up and deported.

Irony.
      As a legal immigrant to my country I have zero sympathy for illegal immigrants. Deport the lot of them and allow them to come over via legal means.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Impotent Man View Post
        Businesses shouldn't rely on illegal immigrant labor any more than they should rely on the mob to put pressure on their competition.

The real irony here is that you call yourself "The Thinker" while saying some of the dumbest stuff on the forum.
        No they shouldn't rely on illegal immigrant labor. But the Republican establishment loves cheap labor, and legal Americans are not going to do those crappy jobs for those crappy wages and zero benefits. And so illegal immigrants do them. Deport them en masse, and you will inadvertently leave those same businesses who you think shouldn't be left shorthanded, left shorthanded!

That's the irony impotent man.
        Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          well, gorsh! then maybe those companies shouldn't rely on illegal immigrants and should hire actual Americans and pay them a decent wage, instead of expecting to line their pockets with the sweat of slave labor. Because that is what it is, they treat illegals like slaves, paying them squat because they know they have to take what they can get. The companies pocket the profits. I thought you liberals were all about wanting to make the corporations pay a fair wage and not screw over the workers? So this would be a good thing. It would force these companies to do right and pay a fair wage. If they went out of business, then that is great too, right? getting rid of an evil corporation that enslaves illegals?
          Really? Wait, you think we should actually have standards when it comes to paying and treating workers? Wow. How compassionate of you. I'm impressed.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            As a legal immigrant to my country I have zero sympathy for illegal immigrants. Deport the lot of them and allow them to come over via legal means.
            Well then, as a native born American I have zero sympathy for legal immigrants. Stay in your own damn country and learn how to make a living without depending on other countries.

See how that feels?

Comment

Originally posted by The Stinker View Post
              No they shouldn't rely on illegal immigrant labor. But the Republican establishment loves cheap labor, and legal Americans are not going to do those crappy jobs for those crappy wages and zero benefits. And so illegal immigrants do them. Deport them en masse, and you will inadvertently leave those same businesses who you think shouldn't be left shorthanded, left shorthanded!

Man you're stupid.

By eliminating cheap, illegal labor, businesses will have to start hiring legal workers at competitive wages.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Impotent Man View Post

Man you're stupid.

By eliminating cheap, illegal labor, businesses will have to start hiring legal workers at competitive wages.
                But you will leave them shorthanded perhaps for months and many small businesses would go out of business with even just 1 month of no revenue.

Man you're stupid.

And many businesses will not be able to survive without cheap illegal labor. Now I'm for legal workers with competitive wages, but are you ok with many businesses going out of business who cannot survive on paying legal workers decent wages?

Comment

If businesses are breaking the law by hiring illegal immigrants then they'll be getting what they deserve, you idiot. You only think my position is ironic because you don't understand what my position actually is, and I have no inclination to explain it to you.

I'll just say there is a difference between trying to harm a law abiding business versus a business being hurt by its own illegal activities.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Not irony - justice.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Well then, as a native born American I have zero sympathy for legal immigrants. Stay in your own damn country and learn how to make a living without depending on other countries.

See how that feels?
                      Not really because you:

1) Are just posturing, you don't mean it
                      2) No amount of kvetching is gonna impose an obligation on legal immigrants to support all illegal immigration (or even all legal immigration). An immigrant's duty is to do what is best for his adoptive country, not help everybody who wants to get in get in.
                      3) A law abiding immigrant is not the same thing as an invader.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Retard View Post
                        If businesses are breaking the law by hiring illegal immigrants then they'll be getting what they deserve, you idiot. You only think my position is ironic because you don't understand what my position actually is, and I have no inclination to explain it to you.

I'll just say there is a difference between trying to harm a law abiding business versus a business being hurt by its own illegal activities.
                        The illegals not showing up for work for protest will have the same effect as them not showing up because they were deported. In each case businesses are left shorthanded, and will be hurt. Some may go out of business entirely. That's the irony you retard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Not irony - justice.
                          The two are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Not really because you:

1) Are just posturing, you don't mean it
                            2) No amount of kvetching is gonna impose an obligation on legal immigrants to support all illegal immigration (or even all legal immigration). An immigrant's duty is to do what is best for his adoptive country, not help everybody who wants to get in get in.
                            3) A law abiding immigrant is not the same thing as an invader.
                            I wasn't talking to you.

Comment

Really? Wait, you think we should actually have standards when it comes to paying and treating workers? Wow. How compassionate of you. I'm impressed.
                              So you agree then that we should get rid of illegal aliens so that businesses will have to fight fair and pay decent wages and give actual benefits in order to get Americans to do the job? Build that wall Mr. Thinker!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                So you agree then that we should get rid of illegal aliens so that businesses will have to fight fair and pay decent wages and give actual benefits in order to get Americans to do the job? Build that wall Mr. Thinker!
                                I have no problem with a wall.

But I think that some of the illegals who have not committed additional crimes here, and who can prove they've paid taxes, should be allowed to have legal status. And if they want to become citizens, they have to leave the country and apply like everyone else. Is that not fair?

Comment