Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Left tries racism to push gun control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left tries racism to push gun control

Apparently the liberals in New York are fighting against concealed-carry laws by appealing to some old, blatantly racist and unconstitutional laws of the past for support.

Attorney General Letitia James is citing early laws in some states, including New York, that prohibited Native Americans, blacks and Catholics from owning and possessing firearms to justify not allowing people the right to carry a gun in the state after the Supreme Court struck down the state’s similarly subjective “good reason” clause earlier this year in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen.

This stinks of desperation. For them to resort to such examples of openly racist or bigoted laws as analogs strongly suggests that they realize that they don't have much standing, and to appeal to laws that discriminated against Catholics might not be the wisest course given that 5 of the SCOTUS justices are Catholic.

But more than that, sinking to relying on such blatantly illegal and discriminatory laws for support seems to say an awful lot about the gun control crowd. Well, at least those up in New York.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Apparently the liberals in New York are fighting against concealed-carry laws by appealing to some old, blatantly racist and unconstitutional laws of the past for support.

Attorney General Letitia James is citing early laws in some states, including New York, that prohibited Native Americans, blacks and Catholics from owning and possessing firearms to justify not allowing people the right to carry a gun in the state after the Supreme Court struck down the state’s similarly subjective “good reason” clause earlier this year in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen.

This stinks of desperation. For them to resort to such examples of openly racist or bigoted laws as analogs strongly suggests that they realize that they don't have much standing, and to appeal to laws that discriminated against Catholics might not be the wisest course given that 5 of the SCOTUS justices are Catholic.

But more than that, sinking to relying on such blatantly illegal and discriminatory laws for support seems to say an awful lot about the gun control crowd. Well, at least those up in New York.
    That does sort of indicate that racists like gun control, does it not? Maybe by extension, other ~ists as well. Maybe I'm an ~ist.

For all that I like the way gun control laws work here.

I'm not sure that I would be so much in favour of similar laws if I lived in America.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I assume they're trying to show legal precedent for arbitrarily denying the right to bear arms. But, yeah, choosing such blatantly racist laws that will never survive a legal challenge as your precedent is a brain dead maneuver.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Just par for the course that they'd resort to something they're familiar and comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I assume they're trying to show legal precedent for arbitrarily denying the right to bear arms. But, yeah, choosing such blatantly racist laws that will never survive a legal challenge as your precedent is a brain dead maneuver.
          To quote (and alter a little):

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

His Their choice of orator Law was somewhat unfortunate.

Comment

Is there any hope at all for New York?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              Is there any hope at all for New York this country?
              FIFY n/c

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hey if we can use denying guns to blacks and native americans in the past to bring back gun bans in NY, I wonder if they will use the fact that blacks were enslaved once to bring back slavery? That way liberals can just force blacks to vote for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Hey if we can use denying guns to blacks and native americans in the past to bring back gun bans in NY, I wonder if they will use the fact that blacks were enslaved once to bring back slavery? That way liberals can just force blacks to vote for them.
                  If you can use denying guns to blacks and Native Americans in the distant past as justification for denying them now, then the same logic can be used to prohibit them from voting now.

Comment