Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Betsy DeVos Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if most of them were unacceptable? What do you propose their options would be?

I grant that out of those I've seen, DeVos is probably one of the worst. To the extent that I honestly have no idea why she was put forward, let alone confirmed.

Perhaps someone here can speak on her or her parties behalf? I've seen several reasons in this thread why she wasn't the obvious choice (phrasing it nicely), but not many defending it? Some comments about how bad many of you think the US education system is, but that doesn't explain why DeVos is the best choice?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      What if most of them were unacceptable? What do you propose their options would be?
      Focus on the worst.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        You and your endless lies about the Clintons...Charity Navigator has rated The Clinton Foundation at a four out of four stars rating: Overall Score & Rating 94.74 Financial 97.50 Accountability & Transparency 93.00.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ry&orgid=16680
        To which I replied to the exact same thing you regurgitated 4 weeks ago:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post408485
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          I wonder how Trumps slush fund/charity has been rated? Not that it would matter to the hypocrites on the right.
          You're an idiot.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...cism.html?_r=0
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

I grant that out of those I've seen, DeVos is probably one of the worst. To the extent that I honestly have no idea why she was put forward, let alone confirmed.

Perhaps someone here can speak on her or her parties behalf? I've seen several reasons in this thread why she wasn't the obvious choice (phrasing it nicely), but not many defending it? Some comments about how bad many of you think the US education system is, but that doesn't explain why DeVos is the best choice?
            Apart from serving as chairperson of the investment business she owns with her husband, DeVos' work experience has revolved around*philanthropy and political advocacy, though much of that pertained to educational issues. She wouldn't be the first Secretary of Education to take office without a degree in the subject, however. Margaret Spellings, George W. Bush's education secretary from 2005 to 2009, had a degree in political science. Bill Clinton's education secretary, Richard W. Riley, had a law degree.

http://www.snopes.com/betsy-devos-education-secretary/
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Comment

Just when I think the stupid can't get any more asinine than it was... First Floor to the rescue!!
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It was the tactic of screaming "the sky is falling" with every nomination that did them in. If they had focused on only a couple they truly thought were unacceptable rather than attacking everyone they would have stood a good chance.
                  Balonga, republicans were intent on confirming all the nominees regardless of character, experience, knowledge, ethics or what have you, becuae basically they are an unprincipled lot themselves.

Comment

Balonga, republicans were intent on confirming all the nominees regardless of character, experience, knowledge, ethics or what have you, becuae basically they are an unprincipled lot themselves.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The DeVos family has considerable interest in the Windquest group and they're making substantive investments in technology.

How do you square their anti-science agenda with the fact much of their wealth is built upon scientific endeavors?
                      How do you square their anti-science agenda with the fact they invest heavily in scientific research?

The New York Times just isn't a very good source.
                      They'll leave you in a bad spot like that.
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                        The DeVos family has considerable interest in the Windquest group and they're making substantive investments in technology.

How do you square their anti-science agenda with the fact much of their wealth is built upon scientific endeavors?
                        How do you square their anti-science agenda with the fact they invest heavily in scientific research?

The New York Times just isn't a very good source.
                        They'll leave you in a bad spot like that.
                        I don't bother correcting FF any more. I just point, remark "Dear God, what is that thing?", and move on.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Rogue, look at the vote tally. Democrats, many democrats, the majority of democrats, voted along with republicans to confirm those nominees already confirmed. As far as Gorsuch is concerned, if republicans had not blocked Merrick Garland from the process then democrats wouldn't be trying to block Gorsuch. The nominees that democrats are putting up a fuss over, they are doing so for legitimate reasons. Pruitt for instance is a climate change denier, Pudzner has disdain for the working man, and hasn't even turned in his documents to the committee yet, Price has ethical questions, insider trading violations, same with Mnuchin. Thats what these hearings are supposed to be for, its supposed to be a vetting process, not a dog and pony show.

Comment

Balonga....
                            Is that Italian gangsterspeak? "I belonga to the Mafia"
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Just when I think the stupid can't get any more asinine than it was... First Floor to the rescue!!
                              FF's fears seem reasonable to me. DeVos is on record as holding Creationist beliefs and wanting less oversight of charter schools. And we know from the Dover fiasco that Creationists are prepared to perjure themselves in order to push their religious ID agenda, so strongly do they feel about it. So yes, DeVos is entirely the wrong choice for education secretary.

Comment

Rogue, look at the vote tally. Democrats, many democrats, the majority of democrats, voted along with republicans to confirm those nominees already confirmed. As far as Gorsuch is concerned, if republicans had not blocked Merrick Garland from the process then democrats wouldn't be trying to block Gorsuch. The nominees that democrats are putting up a fuss over, they are doing so for legitimate reasons. Pruitt for instance is a climate change denier, Pudzner has disdain for the working man, and hasn't even turned in his documents to the committee yet, Price has ethical questions, insider trading violations, same with Mnuchin. Thats what these hearings are supposed to be for, its supposed to be a vetting process, not a dog and pony show.
                                In some cases Democrats participated in boycotts refusing to vote. The insider trading charges against Price were silly. He put his investments into the hands of an outside firm (typical for politicians in office) and wasn't aware that they had put a small amount of his millions in a company that would benefit from legislation he later proposed until several months later. And IIRC he made a little over a whopping $2000 (again note the man is a multi-millionaire).

And it is interesting that you seem to want to justify the smears against Gorsuch like Pelosi's over-the-top invectives because Republicans blocked Garland.

Comment