Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boris Johnson stepping down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris Johnson stepping down

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/07/bor...prime-minister

He is stepping down as leader of the Conservative Party, and will step aside as PM once a replacement is good to go.

My phone kept trying to title this Boring Johnson. He may be many things, but boring is not one of them.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

His party lost faith in him and he became baggage. Now, if only something similar would happen in Canada ....

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

He is stepping down as leader of the Conservative Party, and will step aside as PM once a replacement is good to go.

My phone kept trying to title this Boring Johnson. He may be many things, but boring is not one of them.
      When his own party started talking about ousting him the fat lady was waiting for her cue.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I thought he might still try riding it out after Sunak and Javid stepped down, but after the absolute cascade of resignations yesterday, I couldn't see it anymore.

Comment

It seems he was largely done in over Covid hypocrisy -- or that at the least it started the ball rolling.

Too bad we don't see some of that around here.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's a pity we don't have this system in the US. I think Biden would have been out by now.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              It's a pity we don't have this system in the US. I think Biden would have been out by now.
              In the current environment I doubt anyone elected president would last more than a year.

Comment

He had a strong tailwind after success of Brexit, but he squandred every opportunity after that.

While Johnson will be able to claim the historic achievement of leading the United Kingdom out of the European Union, a task that his predecessor Theresa May was unable to accomplish, he nevertheless failed to capitalise on the political opportunity it afforded, by failing to govern conservatively and deliver on the promises of Brexit.

Rather than taking full advantage of the freedoms that Brexit afforded the British government, after being bound by diktats from Brussels for decades, Johnson not only failed to reduce tax burdens, his government in fact increased the tax burden on the British public to the highest level in seventy years. The promise of “taking back control” of the nation’s borders was also never realised, with record numbers of illegal migrants continuing to flood across the English Channel from France.

Despite having a pro-Brexit counterpart in President Donald Trump for the first half of his premiership, Mr Johnson also failed to secure a trade deal with the United States, which was a key pillar of the economic success strategy of the Brexit movement.

Finally, instead of aggressively pursuing energy independence, Mr Johnson’s government instead opted to continue with the green agenda goals pushed by the likes of the European Union and United States President Joe Biden, with whom he shared the Great Reset slogan “Build Back Better” with. During his three years in office, Johnson refused to lift the moratorium on fracking and has been lacklustre on nuclear power while pursuing green but inefficient energy sources such as wind and solar, leaving the UK vulnerable to the global energy price shocks experienced during the war in Ukraine.

The outgoing Prime Minster therefore may also be seen as the first major political casualty in the global cost of living and inflation crises, which were in large part a result of the coronavirus lockdown regimes instituted by leaders throughout the world, including the once self-described “libertarian” Boris Johnson.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...nited-kingdom/
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  I think the only thing saving Joe at this point is that Kamala is next in line with Pelosi right behind her. And even if all three of them were to suddenly resign, we would get Patrick Leahy with Blinkered Antony Blinken behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I think the only thing saving Joe at this point is that Kamala is next in line with Pelosi right behind her. And even if all three of them were to suddenly resign, we would get Patrick Leahy with Blinkered Antony Blinken behind him.
                    Good old Leaky Leahy.

Comment

IIRC, Kamala could select a new VP and get him/her confirmed relatively quickly. Odds are Kamala won't kick the bucket any time soon, so Pelosi is basically out of it. The prez and VP would have to be killed simultaneously for Pelosi to become a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

IIRC, Kamala could select a new VP and get him/her confirmed relatively quickly. Odds are Kamala won't kick the bucket any time soon, so Pelosi is basically out of it. The prez and VP would have to be killed simultaneously for Pelosi to become a factor.
                        Yes, but I don't think anybody wants a President Harris, not even the Democrats. But nobody wants a President Pelosi, or President Leahy, and on down the line of succession. So we're probably stuck with Joe and his puppet masters until the next election.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          When his own party started talking about ousting him the fat lady was waiting for her cue.
                          Biden?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's a shame that one wonders "could they do any worse"?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Biden?
                              Nah. You just have a few hinting about primarying him if he runs again, and more urging him not to run again.

IIRC, only one person predicted this would start before the primaries way back when.

Comment