Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And Republicans are the racists, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    She specified whites. And the discussion was framed as whites are racists. Why you are fighting so pedantically to excuse her blatant bigotry... I am at a loss...
    The discussion is among those vying for leadership of the Democratic Party and makes reference to some prior discussion relating to Black Lives Matter and some kind of supposed attempt to interrupt that discussion, a discussion which the current speaker thinks needs to take place and which should not be interrupted by those whom she is implicitly accusing of thinking that they cannot possibly be prejudiced because they are Democrats. It's impossible to know how fairly she is characterizing the other speakers in the conversation because we do not have the full context of the earlier discussions, but that much is fairly obvious. I am not defending bigotry but am merely trying to understand and accurately characterize the discussion as best we can from the recording.
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      The discussion is among those vying for leadership of the Democratic Party and makes reference to some prior discussion relating to Black Lives Matter and some kind of supposed attempt to interrupt that discussion, a discussion which the current speaker thinks needs to take place and which should not be interrupted by those whom she is implicitly accusing of thinking that they cannot possibly be prejudiced because they are Democrats.
      Spin it however you want, Rob, but it was plainly obvious who she was talking to, and who she specifically called out. Whites.

It's impossible to know how fairly she is characterizing the other speakers in the conversation because we do not have the full context of the earlier discussions, but that much is fairly obvious. I am not defending bigotry but am merely trying to understand and accurately characterize the discussion as best we can from the recording.
      She was pandering. Plain and simple. Pandering to the minorities in attendance by playing on their blatant anti-white sentiments.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Spin it however you want, Rob, but it was plainly obvious who she was talking to, and who she specifically called out. Whites.

She was pandering. Plain and simple. Pandering to the minorities in attendance by playing on their blatant anti-white sentiments.
        I am not trying to 'spin' anything; that would be a form of dishonesty. As I have already said, I am merely trying to understand and accurately characterize the discussion as best we can from the recording. As for pandering, sure, I expect that from most politicians when running for office, regardless of their race or political party.
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          That doesn't even make sense, PM.
          Racial bias is just like any other bias. When I said that people are biased against other races, your evidence against that was that people of different races marry. That is no different from saying the gambler's fallacy doesn't exist because people can choose not to bet on a due result. In other words, you have no idea what a bias is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            Racial bias is just like any other bias. When I said that people are biased against other races, your evidence against that was that people of different races marry. That is no different from saying the gambler's fallacy doesn't exist because people can choose not to bet on a due result. In other words, you have no idea what a bias is.
            You said "it's totally true that everyone has a bias against people not of their race."

If that were true then why would someone fall in love with someone from another race? Maybe you should explain what YOU mean by "bias?"

Comment

You said "it's totally true that everyone has a bias against people not of their race."

If that were true then why would someone fall in love with someone from another race? Maybe you should explain what YOU mean by "bias?"
              Okay Sparko, I'll explain what a bias is to you. A bias is just an inclination. In some people it is stronger or weaker, and it's very common for people to go against their bias for a variety of reasons. However, taking a large population as a whole, a bias that influence a significant number of people will result in some wider collective effect.

Comment

Even if she wasn't, it's totally true that everyone has a bias against people not of their race.
                Not even remotely true. In fact most white liberals visibly hate white people. I suspect it's a side-effect of self loathing.

IE: Psychic Missile has a bias against blacks. Psychic Missile recognizes it and concludes he is an evil filthy racist. Psychic Missile begins to hate himself for it. Psychic Missile begins to hate other white people by association.

There are a lot of these out of control feedback loops operating in the mind of the liberal, frying xir brain and amplifying allegiance to Progress until it reaches a terminal state. IE:

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Not even remotely true. In fact most white liberals visibly hate white people. I suspect it's a side-effect of self loathing.

IE: Psychic Missile has a bias against blacks. Psychic Missile recognizes it and concludes he is an evil filthy racist. Psychic Missile begins to hate himself for it. Psychic Missile begins to hate other white people by association.

There are a lot of these out of control feedback loops operating in the mind of the liberal, frying xir brain and amplifying allegiance to Progress until it reaches a terminal state. IE:

Racism is embracing or consistently acting upon your bias. You should lay off the internet echo chambers.

Comment

Okay Sparko, I'll explain what a bias is to you. A bias is just an inclination. In some people it is stronger or weaker, and it's very common for people to go against their bias for a variety of reasons. However, taking a large population as a whole, a bias that influence a significant number of people will result in some wider collective effect.
                    Really? according to the dictionary, a bias is more than "just an inclination"

1. prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

Comment

1. prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
                      I looked up bias in my dictionary and it said "see Psychic Missile".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I looked up bias in my dictionary and it said "see Psychic Missile".
                        He has a bias against common sense.

Comment

Right, and a prejudice is a "preconceived judgment or opinion" and an inclination is "a particular disposition of mind or character". Your running away from the discussion so you can pretend to know what words mean is noted.

Comment

Right, and a prejudice is a "preconceived judgment or opinion" and an inclination is "a particular disposition of mind or character". Your running away from the discussion so you can pretend to know what words mean is noted.
                            So you think everyone is prejudiced against other races then. Which is wrong. Which is what I said.

You are trying so hard to walk it back. Just admit you said something untrue and stupid.

Comment

So you think everyone is prejudiced against other races then. Which is wrong. Which is what I said.

You are trying so hard to walk it back. Just admit you said something untrue and stupid.
                              Prejudice can have the connotation of active racism. I think everyone has a biological inclination to associate their race with familiarity and other races with oddity and has ideas put into their head about other cultures based on society and media that are opposed to association-based ideas. Which is right. Which is what I said.

Comment

Prejudice can have the connotation of active racism. I think everyone has a biological inclination to associate their race with familiarity and other races with oddity and has ideas put into their head about other cultures based on society and media that are opposed to association-based ideas. Which is right. Which is what I said.
                                yeah keep trying to spin it PM. Nobody believes you at this point, you are just rationalizing a stupid statement you made and making yourself look even worse.

Comment