Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Jeff Sessions prosecute marijuana/cannabis users, suppliers, and growers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myth View Post
    There's no good reason for marijuana to be illegal. And I'd rather deal with a pothead over a drunk or meth addict/crackhead any day. In my view, allowing people who want to get high the chance to legally purchase and consume marijuana isn't a bad thing, since practically every other drug they might chose is worse (both for society in general and for the individual user).
    So what business is it of yours what they put in their bodies? Why does crack being bad for their bodies matter to you? Why not make all substances legal, and just play responsive to crimes committed, like we do with alcohol?

Also, I'd rather potheads be able to trace the provenance of their weed and buy locally. I'd rather the money spent stay local, and the government be able to tax the sale of marijuana, rather than the money going to Mexican drug cartels and fueling the violence that our southern neighbors experience (and that is increasingly bleeding across our borders).
    They just switched gears to meth and other harsher drugs, as methamphetamine seizures at the border have quintupled since the legalization of pot in Colorado. So, legalizing has had the exact opposite effect as claimed. The money is still going to the cartels, but they are trafficking way harsher drugs, which, as you admit, are far worse for a person and society. So, legalization has backfired, and terribly so.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I wasn't offended; I was merely offering a corrective to your broad brush. There are those of just about every ideological stripe who would be willing to use federal powers as a means to justify their ends.
      Correction accepted (though not needed from my perspective); my reminder to some so-called conservatives that they should be more aware and supportive of states' rights is meant to appeal to partisans that should be naturally amenable to respecting the rights of states. I expect Democrats to quickly embrace federal power as a means to their ends, but not 'true' conservatives. Specifically, this thread is about whether or not Sessions will respect states' rights in this question or impose federal authority contrary to those states. The other thread where I've made this same facetious remark is about whether or not the federal government can or should impose concealed carry reciprocity on states.
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Correction accepted (though not needed from my perspective); my reminder to some so-called conservatives that they should be more aware and supportive of states' rights is meant to appeal to partisans that should be naturally amenable to respecting the rights of states.
        If you'd been more accurate in your initial argument, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Is it too much to ask for you to not inaccurately broad-brush when you deliver your reminders?

Specifically, this thread is about whether or not Sessions will respect states' rights in this question or impose federal authority contrary to those states.
        Irrespective of states' rights, Sessions' job is to enforce the laws as written. Immigration in particular is a mess because this is so often not done. Federal law should be adjusted by the legislative branch, not by partisan-driven selective enforcement.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If you'd been more accurate in your initial argument, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Is it too much to ask for you to not inaccurately broad-brush when you deliver your reminders?
          No, not to much to ask, but I'm relatively new to posting in political discussions so I was just trying to fit in with the manner of most posters here.

Irrespective of states' rights, Sessions' job is to enforce the laws as written. Immigration in particular is a mess because this is so often not done. Federal law should be adjusted by the legislative branch, not by partisan-driven selective enforcement.
          I suspect the administration in general, and Sessions in particular, probably need to exercise a certain degree of judgment in how laws are to be enforced, especially when there are conflicting laws and objectives to be weighed.

Comment

No, not to much to ask, but I'm relatively new to posting in political discussions so I was just trying to fit in with the manner of most posters here.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Seriously. For example, do you think that One Bad Pig seriously intended these recent statements to fairly describe all liberals and progressives?

[Liberals] don't much care how we feel inside as long as we're cowed into doing what they want.
              My priest observed that progressivism is advanced with religious fervor. I'm not sure if they're willing to change their ways even if it's not working.
              Such statements may be true of some, perhaps even many or most liberals, but they are also true of some conservatives.

Comment

Seriously. For example, do you think that One Bad Pig seriously intended these recent statements to fairly describe all liberals and progressives?

Such statements may be true of some, perhaps even many or most liberals, but they are also true of some conservatives.
                I don't doubt that blanket accusations are made in this subreddit. I've actually discussed that issue in this subreddit a few times. Posting that the reason you did it is because you are new to political discussions, and was just attempting to fit in is still worthy of an eyeroll. You know that though.

Comment

I don't doubt that blanket accusations are made in this subreddit. I've actually discussed that issue in this subreddit a few times. Posting that the reason you did it is because you are new to political discussions, and was just attempting to fit in is still worthy of an eyeroll. You know that though.
                  Not a conscious, deliberate rationale, but nonetheless it was indeed the reason.

Comment

Is a subreddit kinda like a hobbit, only maybe smaller?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Is a subreddit kinda like a hobbit, only maybe smaller?
                      Uggh. I've been on Reddit too much (which is not good for anyone's mental health). I meant subforum.

Comment

Uggh. I've been on Reddit too much (which is not good for anyone's mental health). I meant subforum.
                        Oh. I thought that was actual cool terminology I missed out on.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I stand by my statements as broadly accurate. I'm sure that there are liberals who care how others feel inside, but their voices aren't being heard.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I stand by my statements as broadly accurate. I'm sure that there are liberals who care how others feel inside, but their voices aren't being heard.
                            Just as there are some conservatives who do not care about how their political opponents feel inside.

Comment

Just as there are some conservatives who do not care about how their political opponents feel inside.
                              Sure.
                              sigpic

Comment

Sure.
                                So do you feel that by and large liberals do not care about the inner feelings of others, whereas conservatives do for the most part? Is it the conservatives whom you feel are touchy-feely group?

Comment