Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

OK Groomer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

If you are going to tell your child that if he "does not embrace the Christian faith that he is hell bound" and that he will then be thrown "into the fiery furnace" to suffer torment and torture for eternity, then I would say that is emotional and psychological abuse on your part.
    Yet I believe if that it helps save his soul, then it is perfectly justified and morally necessary.

It is a coercive tactic involving fear to manipulate your child into obeying you.
    No, I want him to obey the teachings of Christ. And clearly setting forth the consequences of disobedience is of benefit to him.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Yet I believe if that it helps save his soul, then it is perfectly justified and morally necessary.
      I am sure that those who beat the devil out of a child feel the same way.

Originally posted by seer View Post

No, I want him to obey the teachings of Christ. And clearly setting forth the consequences of disobedience is of benefit to him.
      That is coercive.

Furthermore, what will you do if he defies you? What is the next step for you?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I am sure that those who beat the devil out of a child feel the same way.
        I'm sure they do. But I was generally not a hitter.

That is coercive.

Furthermore, what will you do if he defies you? What is the next step for you?

I really don't care what you think, their eternal fate is of utmost importance. And there is no next step. They grow up and make their own choices.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I'm sure they do. But I was generally not a hitter.
          It is a minor distinction between physical and psychological/emotional abuse.

Originally posted by seer View Post

I really don't care what you think, their eternal fate is of utmost importance
          At the expense of the child's emotional and psychological well-being? Do you want a child that lives in fear of you and your God?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That is just brain dead. Don't they think that the other students might mention it to their parents?
            In many instances, children are encouraged to keep the perverted indoctrination a secret from their parents.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It is a minor distinction between physical and psychological/emotional abuse.
              But I'm not teaching my child really anything different than what most Christian parents or churches teach. Or what Muslim parents teach for that matter. Or different than what I was taught growing up. This is all emotional abuse by your lights?

At the expense of the child's emotional and psychological well-being? Do you want a child that lives in fear of you and your God?
              I want my child to experience everlasting life, which far surpasses any temporary emotional distress.

Comment

If you are going to tell your child that if he "does not embrace the Christian faith that he is hell bound" and that he will then be thrown "into the fiery furnace" to suffer torment and torture for eternity, then I would say that is emotional and psychological abuse on your part.

It is a coercive tactic involving fear to manipulate your child into obeying you.
                And if you tell a child that he should wear a helmet while riding his bicyle or he could suffer a severe head injury, or that he could be killed in a vehicle accident if he doesn't wear his seatment, or that he should be careful when crossing the street or he could get flattened by a dump truck, or that he shouldn't play with matches or he might burn the house down, that would also constitute "emotional and psychological abuse on your part", right? It's nothing more than "a coercive tactic involving fear to manipulate your child into obeying you", right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And if you tell a child that he should wear a helmet while riding his bicyle or he could suffer a severe head injury, or that he could be killed in a vehicle accident if he doesn't wear his seatment, or that he should be careful when crossing the street or he could get flattened by a dump truck, or that he shouldn't play with matches or he might burn the house down, that would also constitute "emotional and psychological abuse on your part", right? It's nothing more than "a coercive tactic involving fear to manipulate your child into obeying you", right?
                  Those mundane [i.e. of this world] situations are hardly comparable to being threatened with an eternity of agony and torture if the child does not do what its parent wishes.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I like the comparison to someone standing along the side of the road waving his arms and shouting a warning that the bridge is out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Those mundane [i.e. of this world] situations are hardly comparable to being threatened with an eternity of agony and torture if the child does not do what its parent wishes.
                      There are things that I don't want my grandchildren to learn. Among them; that a woman is not entitled to an education, or that or that should not be permitted to teach men, that people are lesser if they do not accept the same lifestyle, that a failure to endorse different lifestyles is hatred, that accepting conclusions based on faulty premises is reasonable, that using things associated with other cultures is wrongful cultural appropriation, that a person is lesser or greater depending on race or gender.

Nor do I wish to shield them from the fact that such teachings are promoted but rather to give them the skills they need to identify and resist attempted indoctrination into and adoption of such teachings.

Of course, doing so involves indoctrination and it does take work. Ideally, when someone tells a class full of children that being transgender is "super cool," ideally the children in that class should be able to meet the claim with the derision it deserves, and offer reasoned counter argument.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I'm not certain you actually know what Christian parents teach their children.

Comment

Michigan middle school hides student's transgender status from parents

Richards Middle School in Fraser, Michigan directed teachers not to inform a parent of a student's changing gender identity

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-...sgender-parent
                          (and that's a prime example of why I no longer support the whole "let's arm teachers" proposal)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

(and that's a prime example of why I no longer support the whole "let's arm teachers" proposal)
                            I contemplate that college professor, a while back, running around with steering wheel locks and using them to clock people who were expressing ideas that he found unacceptable.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• 6inuodmykt491.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cd888f8104e43bb795098c9d33113124d0b30955.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

There are things that I don't want my grandchildren to learn. Among them; that a woman is not entitled to an education, or that or that should not be permitted to teach men, that people are lesser if they do not accept the same lifestyle, that a failure to endorse different lifestyles is hatred, that accepting conclusions based on faulty premises is reasonable, that using things associated with other cultures is wrongful cultural appropriation, that a person is lesser or greater depending on race or gender.

Nor do I wish to shield them from the fact that such teachings are promoted but rather to give them the skills they need to identify and resist attempted indoctrination into and adoption of such teachings.
                                A highly commendable attitude. Yet in your very next sentence you admit to using indoctrination. The exact thing from which you wish to shield your grandchildren.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Of course, doing so involves indoctrination and it does take work.
                                Perhaps you could explain in what regard your method of indoctrination [a term generally accepted today to refer to the process of inculcating certain ideas or beliefs in an individual until they accept them without criticism or question] differs from any others?

Mountain Man also confuses indoctrination with teaching a child things for their own safety. He gave perfectly valid examples of wearing cycling helmets, playing with matches, and wearing a seatbelt and accompanied those with sound reasons as to why the child should comply with parental wishes in those situations.

However, that is not the same as telling a child that if s/he does not comply with an abstract concept and belief system to which her/his parents adhere s/he will suffer post mortem eternal agony and torture in some fiery furnace. And that verse was the one selected by seer [Matthew 13.42] Although that verse and those preceding it refer to sin and evildoers and have nothing to do with punishing those who refuse to accept a very much later [by several centuries] particular belief system and its alleged post mortem punishments.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Ideally, when someone tells a class full of children that being transgender is "super cool," ideally the children in that class should be able to meet the claim with the derision it deserves, and offer reasoned counter argument.
                                Who is this "someone" ? And for what purpose would they go into "a class full of children" and announce that transgender is "super cool"?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment