Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republicans vs Disney Free Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    The other day, I heard him called Ron DeFascist.
    I prefer Ron DeSatanis

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Florida Man Bad
      Florida Man Hates Free Speech

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        The other day, I heard him called Ron DeFascist.
        I'm not surprised. The left loves the word these days as a catch-all insult.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'm not surprised. The left loves the word these days as a catch-all insult.
          As opposed to "Sleepy Joe, "Odumbo", etc.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

As opposed to "Sleepy Joe, "Odumbo", etc.?
            No. :) I mean "fascist" as a catch-all insult.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

No. :) I mean "fascist" as a catch-all insult.
              Ah. Like the right with 'woke', used to the point that it is now meaningless.

Comment

Ah. Like the right with 'woke', used to the point that it is now meaningless.
                Pretty much.

Comment

Florida Man Hates Free Speech
                  Exactly. There is no way to interpret DeSantis' actions other than as an attack on free speech. The other explanation (that DeSantis is "shocked, shocked, to discover that the Reedy Creek Improvement District exists") is difficult to believe.

All in all, DeSantis has had better weeks, as the following article explains:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...f1aec93e&ei=15

The following quotation is taken from the above article:

Ron DeSantis' Terrible Week

"The mouse should teach a law school class in playing chess with DeSantis, While the board will certainly try to rescind Disney's fascinating maneuver to work the levers of government to negate DeSantis' putting a board in place to oversee its district, it will most likely lose this battle because we hear that the mouse has attorneys with real chops, who know how to follow procedural requirements." - Andrew Lieb, lawyer with the Lieb at Law firm
                  Last edited by Reepicheep; 04-02-2023, 02:14 PM.
                  "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                  "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• All in all, I'll bet Disney wished they never jumped into Florida politics with both feet. They thought they'd get rewarded for virtue signaling and anything but that was the result.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

Exactly. There is no way to interpret DeSantis' actions other than as an attack on free speech. The other explanation (that DeSantis is "shocked, shocked, to discover that the Reedy Creek Improvement District exists") is difficult to believe.

All in all, DeSantis has had better weeks, as the following article explains:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...f1aec93e&ei=15

The following quotation is taken from the above article:

Ron DeSantis' Terrible Week

"The mouse should teach a law school class in playing chess with DeSantis, While the board will certainly try to rescind Disney's fascinating maneuver to work the levers of government to negate DeSantis' putting a board in place to oversee its district, it will most likely lose this battle because we hear that the mouse has attorneys with real chops, who know how to follow procedural requirements." - Andrew Lieb, lawyer with the Lieb at Law firm
                      It'll be interesting. I believe that there is likely issue with the fact that a board appointed by Disney, gave Disney these benefits in a clear conflict of interest. I believe that there is definitely room to challenge, but, as has been said, Disney's lawyers aren't stupid. But that doesn't mean that their hail mary is necessarily going to stand.

Comment

As a Disney nut (I visited Disney World in Aug/2022, again in Feb/2023, and have two trips to Disneyland planned for May and Sept this year), I've been following this story closely, I don't know if anyone else here is interested in the developments of the past year, but in brief...

There was no way to eliminate Reedy Creek without passing a billion dollars in debt onto local taxpayers, so DeSantis instead renamed the "Reedy Creek Improvement District" to the "Central Florida Tourism Oversight District" and replaced the directors with five new directors whose only qualification seems to be that they are DeSantis supporters (one board member is a pastor who believes that estrogen in tap water is turning men gay, but I digress...).

Surprisingly, Disney seemed quite meek and went along with the changes. As it turns out, though, the last act of the old board was to hand over all their authority to Disney, so the new board is essentially powerless (it took the new board a couple of weeks to realize what the old board had done). There are many articles online (I'll give one example below) about how DeSantis was outplayed, so those of you who are interested will find it easy to find out further details. The new board is probably going to be suing Disney in an attempt to get their power back, but according to most legal experts Disney did everything by the book, so it isn't clear if a lawsuit will be successful.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...cial-district/

EDIT: below is a more detailed article:

https://news.yahoo.com/disney-thwart...151743050.html
                        Apparently, the Florida takeover of the Walt Disney Co. Reedy Creek special development zone has run into a snag. As normally happens in such events, within the battle of wits the government will always lose; that’s ultimately why they need guns.

DeSantis-Mickey-Mouse.jpeg

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...d/#more-244936
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-03-2023, 03:38 PM.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          All in all, I'll bet Disney wished they never jumped into Florida politics with both feet. They thought they'd get rewarded for virtue signaling and anything but that was the result.
                          I think DeSantis has more to regret at this point, because he's the one who ended up looking like a chump.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• DeSantis is considering ways that he can strike back at Disney, to punish Disney for making him look like a fool. Neither of the two punishments he is currently considering makes much sense.

First, he is considering turning all roads leading into Disney World into toll roads. This will no doubt anger hundreds of thousands of daily visitors and employees who use private vehicles to drive to the parks, but it won't cost Disney a penny.

Second, he is considering imposing a special hotel tax on all hotels owned by Disney. Putting aside the issue of legality (i.e., would it be legal to tax hotel rooms at different rates, based upon who owns the hotel?), this will also not cost Disney a penny, since it is room occupants and not Disney who pay the tax.

I'm starting to think that DeSantis may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.
                            "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                            "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

DeSantis is considering ways that he can strike back at Disney, to punish Disney for making him look like a fool. Neither of the two punishments he is currently considering makes much sense.

First, he is considering turning all roads leading into Disney World into toll roads. This will no doubt anger hundreds of thousands of daily visitors and employees who use private vehicles to drive to the parks, but it won't cost Disney a penny.

Second, he is considering imposing a special hotel tax on all hotels owned by Disney. Putting aside the issue of legality (i.e., would it be legal to tax hotel rooms at different rates, based upon who owns the hotel?), this will also not cost Disney a penny, since it is room occupants and not Disney who pay the tax.

I'm starting to think that DeSantis may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.
                              I agree with you. As much as I dislike Disney these days, this not only hurts the employees and customers more than the company it sets a bad precedent legally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I agree with you. As much as I dislike Disney these days, this not only hurts the employees and customers more than the company it sets a bad precedent legally.
                                Yep it really only help a build a pattern of harassment and targeting on his part that can be used by Disney in any future cases.

Comment