Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI, DHS release report on Russia hacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Nobody here believes you're interested in the integrity of US elections because you sweep aside proof of tampering by the media and the DNC while chasing after *possible* connections of an email hack with the Russian government.

It is fine that you want to be a Kool-Aid drinking partisan.
    Just don't expect it to come across as credible.
    I'm pretty sure no one has mistaken JimL for a credible poster in a long time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      I take it, then, that you have no significant objections to the rest of what I said?

As for pinning it on Russia, again not a computer science type, but there is a lot more I've seen referenced than simply IP addresses and the tools. The Yara thing on page 5 is one of them I had thought. The way its been explained to me has been someone similar to reading body language. You don't look for a single thing like an IP address, but a whole cluster of activity. Crowdstrike has a blog post about it that you might find interesting. Literally old news, but it does give you some context on how cybersecurity experts think and how wide ranging these activities are and it is additionally valuable because this was written by a the company's CTO long before the disinformation campaign and Trumps victory politicized this. From Alperovitch's perspective, he's just writing down what happened and not engaging in anything partisan. Scroll down and you'll start seeing a bunch of technical stuff that I have no particular way to parse.

Cheers
      In post #37 you said this...

It's not about the tactics, but some sort of technical stuff that I'm not qualified to talk about regarding how our government tracks IP addresses and other stuff
      When MG argued that the IP addresses are meaningless in accurately identifying the hacker, it sounds like you switched back to the tactics...

but there is a lot more I've seen referenced than simply IP addresses and the tools.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        In post #37 you said this...

When MG argued that the IP addresses are meaningless in accurately identifying the hacker, it sounds like you switched back to the tactics...
        Yes, like the yara code.

Just to be clear, this is a cluster of things. No one thing is evidence in cyber security.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I'm pretty sure no one has mistaken JimL for a credible poster in a long time.
        I asked Jim to not post like this, please don't do it yourself, too.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Who should we trust on this MG, you, or the government intelligence agencies? So now you don't trust the press or the intelligence agencies, but you trust Trump, a guy that lies just about every time he opens his mouth. Great, its no wonder this country is in such political turmoil at this time.
          I don't believe Trump either.
          I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking partisan.

Try it sometime.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I don't believe Trump either.
            I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking partisan.

Try it sometime.
            MG, even if Jim is a kool aid drinking partisan, why does that matter here? That Russia did this isn't partisan when Republican senators are pushing for investigations and at least some of them also want sanctions on Russia over this.

Comment

I'll allow that you may be right here.
              However, I'm skeptical because the Senate, which is 99% globalist, is united against a Trump presidency.
              They don't like the house cleaning he might be able to effect with the help of a populist uprising.
              Can you start another thread to explain this or PM me, please?
              אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

MG, even if Jim is a kool aid drinking partisan, why does that matter here? That Russia did this isn't partisan when Republican senators are pushing for investigations at least some of them also want sanctions on Russia over this.
                They don't want sanctions on Russia over this, they want sanctions on Russia because they're neocons with an endless vendetta against anything and anybody that opposes their ideology.

And it most certainly is a partisan issue for democrats:

Ogabe only became concerned with Russian hacking now that he needs to squirt some squid ink to provide cover for his buddies at the DNC.

This non-issue is only on the news because Trump humiliated Hillary and the entire establishment and they now need to deflect blame from their own incompetence.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  They don't want sanctions on Russia over this, they want sanctions on Russia because they're neocons with an endless vendetta against anything and anybody that opposes their ideology.

And it most certainly is a partisan issue for democrats:

Ogabe only became concerned with Russian hacking now that he needs to squirt some squid ink to provide cover for his buddies at the DNC.

This non-issue is only on the news because Trump humiliated Hillary and the entire establishment and they now need to deflect blame from their own incompetence.
                  AKA - It became an issue when Russia actually did something

@MG or others,

More technical detail about how we know this is here. Far warning that, again, it is highly technical.

https://www.threatconnect.com/blog/t...nal-committee/

Comment

Oh please, Russia (and everybody else) have been doing far worse stuff for years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9d62bd88fcfc

Over 20 MILLION people had their personal info stolen by China. Government workers and people related to them too, not private organizations like the DNC. No saber rattling, no sanctions, no wall to wall media coverage.

Leak some emails exposing democrat corruption and shameless backroom dealing, though, and you better watch out.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

@MG or others,

More technical detail about how we know this is here. Far warning that, again, it is highly technical.

Actually the Russian hacking threat wasn't a threat to Obama even more recently than when he campaigned against Romney. His admin is on record assuring us that the elections were legit just weeks after the election. It was like a sudden turn around from the time of the election to now. Obama has even recently bragged that he could have beaten Trump himself, which further confuses why we should believe it was the Russians that affected the election results. So either Obama is just really freaking dumb and can't assess intelligence info, or he doesn't really believe Russians affected the election anymore than we do, but is just a PR front-man for the con being orchestrated by the left in this regard.

Comment

Paper contains no actual explanation for why they think it was [b]russian intelligence servers[b], in case someone looking for that thinks it's worth wasting time reading. It is a good summary of cyber-security incompetence and neglect (until Hillary lost the election and the DNC needed a distraction from their own incompetence).
                        You make a very good point in saying there is no trace back to a Russian server.Though I can't see that happening. If I was a hacker-spy I'd use the dark-net which makes tracing impossible...Actually, I'd use the dark-net to hack into a some "Clinton friendly" server and control the hack remotely through that...someone needs to be blamed...

The paper does indicate that the modus operandi of server access is typical of other known Russian hacks. Which makes me wonder: Would a professional spy leave his/her finger prints everywhere if they intended a malicious action.

It all makes for a good conspiracy theory. I reckon Obama got his staff to do it ;-) After all, there was a time that Trump supported the Democrats. It is all a plot ;-)

One thing that did occur to me, applying the principles of the OP contents: If the hack was a "national threat", then Hillary having a vulnerable private server (which was hacked) is guilty of criminal negligence...

The Op contents do indicate that at the moment the Russian theory is just innuendo. There is no explicit proof, thus Obama has ordered a full report before he leaves office. All up, I think he has acted prematurely in his latest actions...
                        Last edited by elam; 12-30-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          Can you start another thread to explain this or PM me, please?
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Oh please, Russia (and everybody else) have been doing far worse stuff for years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9d62bd88fcfc

Over 20 MILLION people had their personal info stolen by China. Government workers and people related to them too, not private organizations like the DNC. No saber rattling, no sanctions, no wall to wall media coverage.

Leak some emails exposing democrat corruption and shameless backroom dealing, though, and you better watch out.
                            And the Chinese action was far more attributable to the Chinese government itself, given how vigilantly it patrols the internets. I don't recall Jaecp, who could've potentially been someone whose information was stolen (I have a letter warning of the possibility in my case upstairs), being at all concerned about it.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

@MG or others,

Given its highly technical nature, why should we trust the interpretation of a psychology major over someone who actually works in the field? It seems logical to me to, e.g., trust Sea of Red over Sparko when they're disputing something in the field of astronomy.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

During the year, here in Oz, there was a reality programme on TV that weekly rode along with border patrol. From what I gather, the USA authorities go to great effort to track & round up the illegal immigrants (often on quad bikes), call in a van, take them to where ever, process them and take them back to Mexico. Takes a lot of man power, a fence is useless, a wall might be a good idea...

But (it might have been trhe same show) in places there are walls between towns on either side of the border. The drug smugglers just tunnel under the wall (very long well constructed tunnels). In one episode the tunnel went from a warehouse in Mexico, under the wall and onto a warehouse on the other side of the border. Special equipment is used to search for the tunnels, when one is found they dig down and fill it with cement.

Seems to me that the illegals problem helps reduce the unemployment rate in the border towns :-}

The white guy with his wife who are obviously on vacation have to have the car checked for drugs while convoys of drugs manage to cross the Rio Grande every freakin' night? There is NOTHING about any of this that makes sense unless it is deep rooted corruption. It isn't a Democrat vs. Republican issue - it is corruption vs. what is right.

Comment