Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Does Anyone Else See The Humor Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

You are mixing all sorts of apples and oranges here. Nowhere have I advocated censorship.
    Then why post links to what two individuals did in their private lives?

The point I made was simple: The BBC has been identified with anti-Israel sentiments for many years now - unlike other international news agencies. It is the preponderance of complaints that is the issue, and I am not interested in debating each case listed by the Times of Israel.
    And the point I made is that the behaviour of those two journalists in their private lives was not something that could be monitored by the BBC and what they tweeted was not a reflection of BBC policy. Hence it was not "BBC bias"

The criticisms against a drama series that was premised on information from a non-fiction work appear to be an attempt to whitewash all Israeli Russian businessmen despite the fact that there are plenty of Russian organised crime syndicates and other shady individuals operating in Israel. That again hints at the "No criticism of Israel or Israelis will be tolerated" attitude.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Then why post links to what two individuals did in their private lives?
      I answered that in the portion you edited.

And the point I made is that the behaviour of those two journalists in their private lives was not something that could be monitored by the BBC and what they tweeted was not a reflection of BBC policy. Hence it was not "BBC bias"

The criticisms against a drama series that was premised on information from a non-fiction work appear to be an attempt to whitewash all Israeli Russian businessmen despite the fact that there are plenty of Russian organised crime syndicates and other shady individuals operating in Israel. That again hints at the "No criticism of Israel or Israelis will be tolerated" attitude.
      Again, you are focusing on two specific issues. The preponderance of BBC articles on Israel is my point.

Your defense of the BBC is admirable. If you wish to use them as your primary news source, so be it. The history of the BBC was not the point of this thread and I'm just not interested in taking that detour.

Comment

I answered that in the portion you edited.

Again, you are focusing on two specific issues. The preponderance of BBC articles on Israel is my point.

Your defense of the BBC is admirable. If you wish to use them as your primary news source, so be it. The history of the BBC was not the point of this thread and I'm just not interested in taking that detour.
        You have not produced anything to suggest that there is, at the BBC, an "anti Israel slant".

I listen to the World Service and I use the BBC news website which are included among my sources for news.

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I will add one final [and light-hearted] comment.

The preponderance of BBC articles on Israel is my point.
          Just consider the plethora of documentaries the BBC has made and/or broadcast on the rise of Nazism and various aspects of WW2; including major documentary series' like Lawrence Rees' The Nazis: A Warning from History, or Rise of the Nazis

Then there are the dramas it has produced over the decades, Colditz, Secret Army, Fortunes of War, even a sit-com - Allo Allo. There was of course also Jack Pulman's brilliantly hilarious Private Schulz.

Perhaps I should allege the BBC has an "anti German slant"?

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I will add one final [and light-hearted] comment.

Just consider the plethora of documentaries the BBC has made and/or broadcast on the rise of Nazism and various aspects of WW2; including major documentary series' like Lawrence Rees' The Nazis: A Warning from History, or Rise of the Nazis

Then there are the dramas it has produced over the decades, Colditz, Secret Army, Fortunes of War, even a sit-com - Allo Allo. There was of course also Jack Pulman's brilliantly hilarious Private Schulz.

Perhaps I should allege the BBC has an "anti German slant"?

Do they have an anti-German slant in their news coverage?

And did Private Schulz later become a sergeant at a P.O.W. camp?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

putin-arrest-fake-news-cnn-fleeing.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Do they have an anti-German slant in their news coverage?
                The BBC has no anti any country slant in its news coverage.

And did Private Schulz later become a sergeant at a P.O.W. camp?
                Schulz is the master forger.

And the writer of that series was Jack Pulman - you may have seen his other well known BBC work I Claudius on Masterpiece or some similar US series. He also wrote several episodes of both the 1974 series Fall of Eagles and the 1975 production Poldark.

Pulman was Jewish and Private Schulz was broadcast two years after he died at the tragically young age of 53. There were complaints made to the BBC at the time for portraying Nazis as incompetent fools .
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The BBC has no anti any country slant in its news coverage.

Schulz is the master forger.

And the writer of that series was Jack Pulman - you may have seen his other well known BBC work I Claudius on Masterpiece or some similar US series. He also wrote several episodes of both the 1974 series Fall of Eagles and the 1975 production Poldark.

Pulman was Jewish and Private Schulz was broadcast two years after he died at the tragically young age of 53. There were complaints made to the BBC at the time for portraying Nazis as incompetent fools .
                  Yeah I realized they weren't the same (not even spelled the same).

John Banner starred as Sgt. Schultz, the bumbling, not-too-bright, yet lovable POW guard in Hogan's Heroes (1965-71) famous for when he happened upon one of the prisoner's plots[1], panicking and quickly leaving as he proclaimed "I hear nothing. I see nothing. I know nothing!"

All of the actors who played Nazis or German soldiers (including Banner) were all Jewish with several having fled the Nazis and lost family members in concentration camps. In fact, the French prisoner, "Corporal Louie LeBeau" (Robert Clary) was a concentration camp survivor with the tattoo to prove it. IIRC, he is the only surviving original cast member.

1. constantly sneaking out of Stalag 13 -- the "toughest POW camp in all of Germany" (never a successful escape) to engage in acts of espionage and sabotage before returning.

Comment

Yeah I realized they weren't the same (not even spelled the same).
                    Which questions why you included those gifs from a US television series?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Which questions why you included those gifs from a US television series?
                      To illustrate Sgt. Schultz of course.

It seems impossible that a mere two decades after the end of WWII that there could be a show about a bunch of zany inept Nazis running a P.O.W. camp -- but they pulled it off for six years.

Comment

To illustrate Sgt. Schultz of course.
                        But you have acknowledged that your Sgt. Schultz from the television comedy series was not Private Schulz of the Jack Pulman BBC series.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

But you have acknowledged that your Sgt. Schultz from the television comedy series was not Private Schulz of the Jack Pulman BBC series.
                          Banner's performance deserved recognition, as does the show he was on.

Comment

Banner's performance deserved recognition, as does the show he was on.
                            As you have acknowledged that my reference to Private Schulz had nothing to do with your television series, your remark [and its references] had no relevance.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As you have acknowledged that my reference to Private Schulz had nothing to do with your television series, your remark [and its references] had no relevance.
                              Exactly as much relevance as your initial reference to Private Schulz did.

Thank you for playing.

Comment

Exactly as much relevance as your initial reference to Private Schulz did.

Thank you for playing.
                                That reference was included with other BBC dramas including a comedy as well as various documentaries. I therefore fail [again] to see what relevance this comment has.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment