Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

University of Wisconsin stands by 'Problem of Whiteness' course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    How'd you manage to read that sentiment in to the course description?
    And you tell me I don't understand conservatives ;)

Comment

• The 'Problem of Whiteness' course could be reworded; The 'Problem of White Privilege' course.

I have found problems of prejudice among all races and ethnic groups, and recently some more than I expected. For example recently I had the opportunity to work more with, and supervise Hispanic laborers, and found an overwhelming prejudice to the point of hatred against the Chinese among most of the laborers. They did not realize that I spoke Spanish well at first and the venom flowed unabated at first. There was also strong prejudice against blacks, but not as strong as against the Chinese. When it was found out my wife was Chinese, and I spoke fluent Spanish the conversation ended in my presence. These laborers are for the most part citizens and legal immigrants with work permits.

I do consider the 'Whiteness Problem,' or as I call it 'White Privilege' a serious problem that is dominant through out our entire society.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-26-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        The 'Problem of Whiteness' course could be reworded; The 'Problem of White Privilege' course.

I have found problems of prejudice among all races and ethnic groups, and recently some more than I expected. For example recently I had the opportunity to work more with, and supervise Hispanic laborers, and found an overwhelming prejudice to the point of hatred against the Chinese among most of laborers. They did not realize that I spoke Spanish well at first and the venom flowed unabated at first. There was also strong prejudice against blacks, but not as strong as against the Chinese. When it was found out my wife was Chinese, and I spoke fluent Spanish the conversation ended in my presence.

I do consider the 'Whiteness Problem,' or as I call it 'White Privilege' a serious problem that is dominant through out our entire society.
        Why did you let them know you spoke/understood Spanish? That could have been very informative. Or, had you just had your fill?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Nope. There are plenty of problems with blackNess or whiteness. You need to provide something specific if you want to have an intelligent discussion.
          What would you say some of these problems are?
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Why did you let them know you spoke/understood Spanish? That could have been very informative. Or, had you just had your fill?
            In the beginning I was doing the farm plumbing and they were just digging the trenches and preparing things for me like laying out the Farm hydrants, roles of water pipe and irrigation equipment. Another other guy I was working with was their supervisor. I did the connections and installation after everything was layed out and worked with the well driller, and plumbing the well. After pressure testing they covered up. We are working on large farms, and at first did not have a lot of direct contact. We did communicate in simple Spanish especially the immigrant laborers that did not know English well. Than for other jobs I was he supervisor and things changed.

Comment

If they can't take a little postmodernism, maybe those special snowflakes aren't ready for college.

oh maybe because the professor himself wrote in is description that whites unconsciously or consciously are guilty of racism t see below and what was bolded.
              Source: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/12/22/wisconsin_republicans_want_problem_of_whiteness_class_cancelled_professor.html

whiteness studies considers how race is experienced by white people. It explores how they consciously and unconsciously perpetuate institutional racism

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Only in that it is a false perception that it is actually a thing...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In the beginning I was doing the farm plumbing and they were just digging the trenches and preparing things for me like laying out the Farm hydrants, roles of water pipe and irrigation equipment. Another other guy I was working with was their supervisor. I did the connections and installation after everything was layed out and worked with the well driller, and plumbing the well. After pressure testing they covered up. We are working on large farms, and at first did not have a lot of direct contact. We did communicate in simple Spanish especially the immigrant laborers that did not know English well. Than for other jobs I was he supervisor and things changed.
                  Interesting. I have several friends who own tree farms, and Mexicans seem to be drawn to that. They have a whole vocabulary placard with Spanish words for common irrigation and arbor terms.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If they can't take a little postmodernism, maybe those special snowflakes aren't ready for college.

How did you fail to?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      What would you say some of these problems are?
                      I don't want to go into great detail so I will just pick one 'problem of blackness' and one 'problem of whiteness'. As for a 'problem of blackness', from a sociological perspective I think that perhaps the biggest one is the failure to take responsibility for enforcing law and order within their own communities. From the perspective of this particular professor and the sources he cites, this is a failure of black communities to understand and use their own power to initiate proper relationships with the local police departments and individual officers, including but not limited to, assuming their own proper membership and leadership roles in local police departments. As for a 'problem of whiteness', from a sociological perspective, I would point to a general lack of interest in understanding and addressing societal problems with an end toward creating a more just and fair society, especially in response to having benefited from a legacy of unjust oppression and slavery.
                      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I don't want to go into great detail so I will just pick one 'problem of blackness' and one 'problem of whiteness'. As for a 'problem of blackness', from a sociological perspective I think that perhaps the biggest one is the failure to take responsibility for enforcing law and order within their own communities. From the perspective of this particular professor and the sources he cites, this is a failure of black communities to understand and use their own power and to initiate proper relationships with the local police departments and individual officers, including but not limited to, assuming their own proper membership and leadership roles in local police departments. As for a 'problem of whiteness', from a sociological perspective, I would point to a general lack of interest in understanding and addressing societal problems with an end toward creating a more just and fair society, especially in response to having benefited from a legacy of unjust oppression and slavery.
                        If more blacks were to grasp the concept you discussed in your example of the problem of blackness, more white people would be interested in understanding and addressing.....

I think we lack good solid black leadership who can "rally the troops" - we only seem to have black leadership who can drive wedges and profit from the racism.

Comment

If more blacks were to grasp the concept you discussed in your example of the problem of blackness, more white people would be interested in understanding and addressing.....

I think we lack good solid black leadership who can "rally the troops" - we only seem to have black leadership who can drive wedges and profit from the racism.
                          Ironically perhaps, if more people were willing and able to listen to and grasp the sociological and specific perspective of this particular professor, and his sources, more white (and black) people would be interested in understanding and addressing.

Comment

Ironically perhaps, if more people were willing and able to listen to and grasp the sociological and specific perspective of this particular professor, and his sources, more white (and black) people would be interested in understanding and addressing.
                            I've hired plenty of blacks in my day, and the only two that I eventually had to let go BOTH told me quite angrily that "the only reason you fired me is because I'm black". That gets so old.

Comment

I've hired plenty of blacks in my day, and the only two that I eventually had to let go BOTH told me quite angrily that "the only reason you fired me is because I'm black". That gets so old.
                              And that relates to this discussion how exactly?

Comment

And that relates to this discussion how exactly?
                                Attitudes.

Comment