Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

University of Wisconsin stands by 'Problem of Whiteness' course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    I apologize if I was confusing about something and hope you will always feel you can ask for clarification. By the way, I presume you're not referring to our previous exchange about the Cracker Barrel Indicator.
    Must've been the one before that, then. You and Adrift had a short exchange regarding your use of the Socratic method.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      Here's the key difference. Any other Baptist church (or any church, really, but the Baptists are the ones stuck with the similar name) can easily say that the Westboro Baptist Church isn't part of their organization and do not represent them. It's easy to repudiate them because, again, you have a clear organization and group so you can point out that the bad eggs aren't a member of yours, and if they are, you can kick them out if necessary.

Black Lives Matter doesn't have that. This is the inherent problem with hashtag movements. There's no clearly defined group or organization so you can't ever say they're not a member of your group because there is no coherent group! You can't kick someone out for bad behavior! It's the exact same problems that plagued Occupy Wall Street and Gamergate. Without structure and coherency in the movement, you can't get anything done because you (1) aren't able to offer up specific demands, only complaints, and (2) have no way of properly repudiating people who could give you a bad name.
      That is an excellent point.

I think that social media really wrecks things a lot of time in more ways that I can count. I now sound like an old man but social media is not good for society.

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
        That is an excellent point.

I think that social media really wrecks things a lot of time in more ways that I can count. I now sound like an old man but social media is not good for society.
        In the summertime, do you ever go outside wearing shorts, sandals and dark socks and yell at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn?
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          In the summertime, do you ever go outside wearing shorts, sandals and dark socks and yell at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn?
          No... so far I have resisted the urge. : )

Comment

No... so far I have resisted the urge. : )
            It is pointless to resist.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Dude! Where do you live?!?
              Houston Texas, I do believe he's said in the past. Funny that if this was happening in the biggest city in Texas CP himself would have probably made a thread about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                Houston Texas, I do believe he's said in the past. Funny that if this was happening in the biggest city in Texas CP himself would have probably made a thread about it.
                I've already referred to it in the past, Juvie. And I don't live in Houston.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I've already referred to it in the past, Juvie. And I don't live in Houston.
                  Is that so? You aren't in the Houston metro area? No points for technically being in a suburb

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                    Is that so? You aren't in the Houston metro area? No points for technically being in a suburb
                    I am not.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment