Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Yikes. Just watched a video on TMZ of a Russian tank in Kyiv that intentionally veered and ran over a civilian car driving by, crushing it. After the tank left, the driver was rescued by onlookers.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/02/25/man-s...kraine-russia/

I'd call that a war crime, if that tank driver is ever identified.
    Yeah. I mean, it's not a case of "Oops, OMG that car drove right in front of our tank!" The car was trying to flee the area, and the tank deliberately turned to run over it and crush it.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      A moving account from the Black Sea. I will not post the article's title or a link to it as it contains an offensive word.

The article may be found in today's Guardian newspaper but those of a sensitive nature be warned!

Thirteen border guards died in air and sea bombardment on Snake Island in Black Sea after refusing to surrender.

There were 13 border guards stationed on Snake Island, a roughly 16-hectare (40-acre) rocky island owned by Ukraine that sits about 186 miles (300km) west of Crimea, when Russian troops bombed the island on Thursday.

All 13 soldiers died after refusing to surrender, Ukrainian officials announced.

In his address after the first day of the invasion of his country, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced he would posthumously award all of the soldiers the Hero of Ukraine award.

“All border guards died heroically but did not give up,” Zelenskiy said.

Audio has emerged that is purported to have captured an exchange between Ukrainian border guards on Snake Island and an approaching Russian navy vessel, in which a Russian officer told the Ukrainian forces on the island to “lay down your weapons”.

“This is a military warship. This is a Russian military warship. I suggest you lay down your weapons and surrender to avoid bloodshed and needless casualties. Otherwise, you will be bombed,” the Russian office was recorded as saying on a naval radio channel.

After a short period of silence in the recording, a Ukrainian officer reportedly responded "** **** ********"

The audio has been published by multiple media outlets including the Ukrainian online newspaper Ukrayinska Pravda, and was shared on social media by Anton Herashchenko, an adviser to the Ukrainian interior ministry.

It's okay. Old Joe gave his seal of approval to this "minor incursion." They were all probably unvaxxed any way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Joe asked if he underestimated Putin. His response: stare blankly for several seconds followed by a goofy grin and picking his teeth.

Probably couldn't remember who that Putin guy is.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And for anybody who tries to defend him by saying that the press conference was over, Joe clearly heard the question and could have easily responded if he wanted to. Instead, he stared blankly followed by a goofy grin and picking his teeth.
          Better than eating boogers from off his face.

Comment

After Putin's ominous threats to Finland and Sweden it does seem he is displaying the symptoms of paranoia and appears to blame the west for the collapse of the USSR. In a translation of an article by Michel Eltchaninoff in today's Guardian Eltchaninoff notes Putin's fixation on Russian "victimhood". https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sia-victimhood

this perpetual sense of victimhood that allows the Russian president to artificially create situations in which Russia appears humiliated and insulted. Are these the actions of a rational leader? The answer is both simple and worrying. Putin has developed, over decades, a vision of the world that is paranoid but coherent. According to this vision, Russia has for centuries been the victim of an attempt to contain and dismember it. These attempts must be resisted.

The article notes:

The contemporary “west”, in this vision, battles to contain Russia out of jealousy. Europe has collapsed into decadence, crushed by the weight of its humanism and political liberalism: tired, divided, at the mercy of every passing wind. The United States, mired in an instrumental, materialist culture and the contradictions of its own history, is in the process of losing its pre-eminence. Russia, by contrast, like its emerging ally, China, is on the rise in civilisational terms.

The article ends with this rather disturbing comment.

For Putin – in stark contrast to the tired westerner, lost in the search for profit and material comfort, “the Russian man thinks first of all … in relation to a superior moral principle”. And he is prepared to die for it. Putin often cites a well-known Russian saying: for Russians, “even death is beautiful”. There may, therefore, be no limits to the quest to avenge perceived humiliation. The president’s worldview paves the way to extremism.

One wonders if we have a 21st century version of Hitler but with a nuclear capability.

Obsessed with victimhood, huh. Sounds like most leftists.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Probably couldn't remember who that Putin guy is.
              If ever the word "feckless" had its own NFT...

Biden.gif

That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I think it will be a real life version of "Red Dawn" but in Ukraine instead of the US.
                One can hope that will be the case. Another Afghanistan for them.

Russia facing more resistance than it expected in Ukraine- U.S. official

Ukraine says it has inflicted one of Russia's heaviest ever day of losses with more than 1,000 casualties: Putin's losses now stand at 2,800 troops, 80 tanks and 516 armoured vehicles as fightback continues

‘HEROIC ACT’ Hero Ukrainian soldier ‘blows himself up to destroy bridge’ and stop Russian invasion forces storming in from Crimea

Putin's biggest supporters in Eastern Europe, Czech President Milos Zeman and Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban, have forcibly denounced Putin's invasion with the former calling it "an unprovoked act of aggression." Of course, both countries have experience being invaded by Russia -- Czechoslovakia in 1968 and Hungary in 1956.

Comment

• Strange. Just saw a Jeep-type vehicle drive by a live-stream camera in Kyiv. It was pulling a heavy gun and flying a US flag (along with some other flag). Don't know what that's about because it sure wasn't an official American vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAVnHn2LTiA

ETA: Never mind. I'm thinking now it was a Ukrainian flag.
                  Last edited by Ronson; 02-26-2022, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Yeah. I mean, it's not a case of "Oops, OMG that car drove right in front of our tank!" The car was trying to flee the area, and the tank deliberately turned to run over it and crush it.
                    Unfortunately nothing will ever be done about it. Moreover, even if he was held accountable, all he'd have to do is say he heard a report of a vehicle matching that description carrying a load of RPGs. He could also claim he ran over the car in a way to put the driver in the least risk (and point to the guy surviving as evidence).

Comment

Of course, both countries have experience being invaded by Russia -- Czechoslovakia in 1968 and Hungary in 1956.
                      At the time both countries were in the Eastern bloc. They had both been effectively invaded by Russia some years earlier.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• I thought I'd mention this YouTube channel for Ukraine updates. They're pretty good. Politics kept at bay, mostly just logistical reporting.

Comment

At the time both countries were in the Eastern bloc. They had both been effectively invaded by Russia some years earlier.
                          Talk about your oversimplifying a complex topic.

Comment

Talk about your oversimplifying a complex topic.

You apparently do not consider this to have been an over-simplification!

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Of course, both countries have experience being invaded by Russia -- Czechoslovakia in 1968 and Hungary in 1956.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Zelinsky opens negotiations with Russia to end the conflict. Joe's State Department says, "Not so fast, Volodymr!"

Responding to reports that the US government had ordered [Ukrainian] officials to stop most contacts with Russia, [State Department spokesperson Ned Price] said the invasion of Ukraine had "fundamentally changed" Moscow's relationship with Washington and other nations.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...a/#more-228569

The arrogance and controlling attitude by the U.S. State Dept tells us all we really need to know.

The Biden administration has created this crisis between Russia and Ukraine for a convenient purpose, and the White House is not about to let Zelenskyy screw it up and create peace.

The U.S. wants President Zelenskyy to leave Ukraine, so the State Department can take full control over the narrative. Zelenskyy is refusing to leave.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...a/#more-228569
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• In what appears to be a snub to the US State Department, Zelinsky asks Israel to serve as mediator.

https://www.allisrael.com/report-ukr...ct-as-mediator
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment