Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lawmaker Wants Teachers Punished for Lessons Contradicting Students’ Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawmaker Wants Teachers Punished for Lessons Contradicting Students’ Religion

Well usually when I have to post something about the insanity of Public schools it has to do with liberal policies destroying education for kids. But it appears in Oklahoma at least, Republicans decided to say Hold My Beer.
    https://truthout.org/articles/lawmak...-religion/?amp

Lawmaker Wants Teachers Punished for Lessons Contradicting Students’ Religion

An Oklahoma state lawmaker is proposing a new bill that could levy fines on teachers whose lessons promote positions that are in opposition to a student’s religious beliefs.

Senate Bill 1470 is sponsored by state Sen. Rob Standrige (R), who describes himself as having been “raised with strong Christian values.”

The bill would allow parents and guardians of students in Oklahoma’s public schools to file complaints against teachers whose lessons are “in opposition to closely held religious beliefs of students.” Because the language of the legislation is incredibly vague, it essentially allows parents to file complaints if they disagree with a lesson’s content for any reason.

The bill would give teachers and schools the chance to respond to parental complaints, but if a teacher chooses not to adjust the curriculum according to the complaint, they could be fined $10,000 for every objectionable lesson they teach.

Standridge’s legislation places extreme limits on how these fines can be paid, forcing teachers to pay any fines imposed on them using “personal resources.” If that teacher receives outside help to pay the fine — say, from a crowdfunding campaign, or from a family member or friend — it would violate the terms of the statute, resulting in the teacher automatically being fired from their position. The teacher would also be barred from teaching in the state for the next five years.

The vague nature of the bill could empower parents to file complaints for nearly any reason at all, explained atheist author and journalist Hemant Mehta:
    A biology teacher who explains evolution could be ratted out by a Creationist who’s failing science class. A health teacher who educates students about different forms of birth control won’t be in that classroom for very long if an abstinence-promoting teenager is on the roster. A history teacher who correctly describes the Founding Fathers as a mix of religious and non-religious individuals could be a target of conservative evangelicals.

“Give it time and the students would find reason to oppose math, too. The bill is vague enough to give them that leeway,” Mehta added.
    But given Standridge’s own religious background – and the burgeoning right-wing movement to restrict educators across the country from teaching about issues like race and social justice in classrooms – it appears that the proposed legislation is meant to further empower white Christian families.

This isn’t the first time Standridge has introduced controversial legislation. Late in 2021, he proposed a bill that would ban public school libraries in Oklahoma from carrying any books that a parent might complain about. Under Standridge’s proposal, schools would be fined $10,000 per day if they failed to act after a complaint was made. The school librarian would also be fired and prohibited from working in a public school setting for the next two years

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    Well usually when I have to post something about the insanity of Public schools it has to do with liberal policies destroying education for kids. But it appears in Oklahoma at least, Republicans decided to say Hold My Beer.
    Oh my aching ...

Has anyone checked his drinking water?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yes this is stupid...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Beyond dumb. What happens when 2 students have conflicting beliefs regrading a specific subject? I'm pretty sure the sponsor of this bill is imagining Christianity would take precedent, he can't say so because of the 1st Amendment.

Comment

Someone with even only two working brain cells should realize that aside from being a bad idea it would be impossible to do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah that's stupid.

...He forgot to specify the CHRISTIAN religion!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah that's stupid.

...He forgot to specify the CHRISTIAN religion!
              Or...

bacon

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Given the variety of religious belief including atheism, I agree that this looks unenforceable. I can't see how this would survive a court challenge including our current SCOTUS.

On the other hand, I do have to admit that one of my few memories from High School was having to read an anti-Christian story in English class. The anti-Christian piece was subtle, and it took me a couple years to realize it.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Yes this is stupid...
                  I haven't looked at the bill itself, but the bill, as described by the author, seems to be anti-CRT, which is good. The "Christian values" fearmongering (espoused by an atheist) looks like just the opinion of the author and his personal bigotry. I don't know the author's political leaning, but it wouldn't surprise if he was a a CRT proponent and just using the Christian propaganda argument to oppose the bill (looking at the other articles, the site looks pretty left leaning).
                  Last edited by seanD; 02-04-2022, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I haven't looked at the bill itself,
                    I have.
                    but the bill, as described by the author, seems to be anti-CRT, which is good.
                    There's literally nothing good about the bill.

The "Christian values" fearmongering (espoused by an atheist) looks like just the opinion of the author and his personal bigotry. I don't know the author's political leaning, but it wouldn't surprise if he was a a CRT proponent
                    This has nothing to do with CRT and everything to do with a religious lawmaker trying to punish teachers for teaching anything beyond what he assumes will be a majority Christian population's desires. Literally I would be unable, under this legislation, to be a teacher and teach basic freaking geology because all it would take is a single creationist child and their parents, and I'd be facing a 10k fine (one that I would be barred from getting any sort of crowdfunding help from others to pay which is its own set of violations of basic rights like freedom of association - in fact the way it is worded I would not even be able to accept assistance from any family member or even my spouse if we had separate finances/bank accounts), and potentially not be able to be a teacher for at least 5 years. All because some creotard decided to use the law to punish me for teaching BASIC OBSERVABLE SCIENCE.

There's nothing intelligent, nor good about this bill. Nor is this fearmongering to point out these basic observations of how the bill could and will be used in practice.

and just using the Christian propaganda argument to oppose the bill (looking at the other articles, the site looks pretty left leaning).
                    That looks like an incredibly lazy well poisoning attempt to me.
                    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 02-04-2022, 10:43 PM.

Comment

There's literally nothing good about the bill.

This has nothing to do with CRT and everything to do with a religious lawmaker trying to punish teachers for teaching anything beyond what he assumes will be a majority Christian population's desires. Literally I would be unable, under this legislation, to be a teacher and teach basic freaking geology because all it would take is a single creationist child and their parents, and I'd be facing a 10k fine (one that I would be barred from getting any sort of crowdfunding help froom others to pay which is its own set of violations of basic rights like freedom of association), and potentially not be able to be a teacher for at least 5 years. All because some creotard decided to use the law to punish me for teaching BASIC OBSERVABLE SCIENCE.
                      There's nothing intelligent, nor good about this bill. Nor is this fearmongering to point out these basic observations of how the bill could and will be used in practice.

The author is not just an obvious Christian bigot, but a woke leftist, and this is the dead giveaway in the article...

Give it time and the students would find reason to oppose math, too. The bill is vague enough to give them that leeway,” Mehta added.

But given Standridge’s own religious background – and the burgeoning right-wing movement to restrict educators across the country from teaching about issues like race and social justice in classrooms – it appears that the proposed legislation is meant to further empower white Christian families.
                      The fact he underscores this clearly suggests that he's a CRT proponent, and using anti-Christian fearmongering against the bill.

Comment

The author is not just an obvious Christian bigot, but a woke leftist, and this is the dead giveaway in the article...

The fact he underscores this clearly suggests that he's a CRT proponent, and using anti-Christian fearmongering against the bill.
                        So says the person who hasn't even read the bill. (I see you couldn't even manage to actually address any of my points - no surprise there)

Just a pathetically lazy well poisoning attempt. How sad.

Comment

So says the person who hasn't even read the bill.

Just a pathetically lazy well poisoning attempt. How sad.
                          I don't think it's that serious, because I doubt the bill will pass.

I just didn't understand why conservatives were so quick to jump on the condemnation bandwagon when it's obvious the author is a woke leftist with an anti-Christian bent.

Comment

I don't think it's that serious, because I doubt the bill will pass.

I just didn't understand why conservatives were so quick to jump on the condemnation bandwagon when it's obvious the author is a woke leftist with an anti-Christian bent.
                            Because they understand that it's a crap law that violates basic rights, and is utterly idiotic. But then you didn't read it, and all you have is well poisoning.

Comment

Because they understand that it's a crap law that violates basic rights, and is utterly idiotic. But then you didn't read it, and all you have is well poisoning.
                              The bill won't pass, so who cares? Not only would there be an uproar with like-minded anti-Christian bigots on the secular front in government, but the woke left would go to war. So it's much ado about nothing.

Comment