Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Officer Kim Potter Found Guilty Of 1st & 2nd Degree Manslaugher in Daunte Wright Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Kim Potter Found Guilty Of 1st & 2nd Degree Manslaugher in Daunte Wright Case

Sad that it happened, but good to see some parts of the justice system seems to be slowly moving toward holding police responsible for their actions - a breath of fresh air from the last few decades. Still a whole lotta work that needs to be done both in police departments and the rest of the justice system.

Kim Potter trial: Minneapolis jury finds ex-police officer guilty in death of Daunte Wright

The jury has found former Minneapolis-area police Officer Kim Potter guilty of first and second degree manslaughter charges in the April 2021 death of Daunte Wright.

Kim Potter, 49, could face a maximum sentence of 15 years for the first-degree manslaughter charge, while the second-degree charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Judge Regina Chu ordered Potter to be taken into custody and held without bail. She also praised the jurors as "heroes of the judicial system." The judge rejected a request from the defense team that Potter be allowed to remain out on $100,000 bail before sentencing. They argued that it's Christmas season and Potter is a devout Catholic, but prosecutors noted that Potter's family had moved out of state.

The jury, comprised of six men and six women, had spent over 27 hours deliberating.

Outside the courtroom, staff elsewhere in the Hennepin County Government Center were instructed to stop work and exit the building before the decision was read aloud deciding Potter’s fate. The entire Minneapolis courthouse was to be cleared before the outcome was announced for security measures.

Kim Potter's husband yelled out, "I love you Kim," as she was taken into custody and Potter said it back.

Potter had 26 years of experience as a police officer on April 11 when she says she mistook her handgun for her Taser and fatally wounded 20-year-old Wright.

The 26-year police veteran and other officers, including a trainee, were attempting to arrest Wright when he tried to get back into his vehicle, video shows.

The officers had attempted to stop Wright and then tried to detain him after learning of a warrant for his arrest. Wright, 20, can be seen in a police video climbing back into the driver’s seat of a vehicle as the officers scuffle with him.

In Potter’s body camera footage from the shooting, she can be heard yelling, "I’ll tase you!" and "Taser! Taser! Taser!" before firing her handgun.

She can then be heard saying, "I grabbed the wrong f------ gun," followed by: "Holy s---, I just shot him."

Potter testified for about three hours on Friday before the defense rested its case. She has said she mistook her handgun for her Taser when she opened fire.

The 12-person jury was made up of nine White panelists and three people of color – two Asian women and a Black woman. Six jurors are men and six are women. The alternate jurors are a White man and a White woman.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/kim-potte...-daunte-wright

I feel bad for her.

Comment

Based on her testimony and the videos, I'm willing to accept she accidentally grabbed the wrong gun. Since some accidents are still criminal, I agree with the verdict.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        I feel bad for her.
        Me too. Sadly she made a mistake that she shouldn't have made (especially being not only a veteran of over a quarter of a century as a cop, but also as a trainer of other newer cops - one of her trainees was there that night), and it cost another person their life.

It's sad all around, but good to see proper justice being upheld for once. If they'd gone with something harsher like any murder charges, I'd have been against it - this seems like the proper charge and outcome.

Comment

I didn't watch any of this one to know how the trial went.

Just curious: Do officers carry their tasers and guns on the same side of their belt? Is there a universal protocol on how they should be carried?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I didn't watch any of this one to know how the trial went.

Just curious: Do officers carry their tasers and guns on the same side of their belt? Is there a universal protocol on how they should be carried?
            The "standard" is that the taser will be on the opposite side of your "gun hand", and your duty weapon will be on the side of your gun hand. You pretty much have to "cross draw" to get your taser.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The "standard" is that the taser will be on the opposite side of your "gun hand", and your duty weapon will be on the side of your gun hand. You pretty much have to "cross draw" to get your taser.
              That makes me suspicious, then. Not that she shot him intentionally, but was without proper sleep or doing drugs or something. That's pretty hard to mix up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That makes me suspicious, then. Not that she shot him intentionally, but was without proper sleep or doing drugs or something. That's pretty hard to mix up.
                It's a tough one for me, too, as the taser is much lighter, and feels completely differently in the hand.

All I can think of was that she initially believed deadly force was appropriate, then switched to taser mentality, but did not exchange weapons - holstering the handgun and drawing the taser. A COLLOSAL failure, in anybody's book.

That she clearly yelled "taser" shows that was her intent, but...
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Turley opines that the jurors probably reached the right verdict in light of the laws, but that the laws themselves need to be changed away from criminalizing simple negligence.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    Turley opines that the jurors probably reached the right verdict in light of the laws, but that the laws themselves need to be changed away from criminalizing simple negligence.
                    I'm not sure that simple negligence that results in death should be decriminalized.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I'm not sure that simple negligence that results in death should be decriminalized.
                      Did you read the article? Do you believe all cases of "wrongful death" should be removed from the "civil" realm and placed in the "criminal" realm?

I'm really not sure where I stand. Based on the way Turley described the laws --

Under first-degree manslaughter, the prosecution has to prove that Potter caused someone’s death while committing or attempting to commit a lesser crime (in this case reckless handling or use of a firearm). The second charge of second-degree manslaughter requires a showing that she causing someone’s death through culpable negligence, by creating an unreasonable risk and consciously taking chances of causing death or great bodily harm.

-- I think she should have been found not guilty. To me, the only other option would have been to also have some kind of "voluntary" manslaughter on the table, and claim she was lying and nothing about it was accidental.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Did you read the article? Do you believe all cases of "wrongful death" should be removed from the "civil" realm and placed in the "criminal" realm?

I'm really not sure where I stand. Based on the way Turley described the laws --

Under first-degree manslaughter, the prosecution has to prove that Potter caused someone’s death while committing or attempting to commit a lesser crime (in this case reckless handling or use of a firearm). The second charge of second-degree manslaughter requires a showing that she causing someone’s death through culpable negligence, by creating an unreasonable risk and consciously taking chances of causing death or great bodily harm.

-- I think she should have been found not guilty. To me, the only other option would have been to also have some kind of "voluntary" manslaughter on the table, and claim she was lying and nothing about it was accidental.
                        No, I didn't have time to read the article, so I responded to your characterization of it. I think all "wrongful death" should be reviewed for criminality.

I think we're just having a difference of opinion on the verdict. From what I saw, I think the guilty verdict is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

No, I didn't have time to read the article, so I responded to your characterization of it. I think all "wrongful death" should be reviewed for criminality.

I think we're just having a difference of opinion on the verdict. From what I saw, I think the guilty verdict is correct.
                          Manslaughter 2, yes. 1, no.
                          Even so, the laws could use some tweaking.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

If there was only 1 death, how can someone be charged with 2 levels of the same crime? That does make logical sense....
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Well then Turley needs his head examined.

Comment