Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Carrier air to stay in Indiana, at tax payors expense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Interesting that the preferred mode of response among certain theists on this board is to denigrate the opponent and/or focus on spelling errors rather than engage in constructive argument.
    Actually, we can do both.

Why is that, one wonders.
    When one of your liberal heroes begins a tirade by calling somebody else "el stupido", then massacres the English language in doing so, it's what he deserves.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Actually, we can do both.

When one of your liberal heroes begins a tirade by calling somebody else "el stupido", then massacres the English language in doing so, it's what he deserves.
      I guess he is forgetting the years of LPOT having to put up with liberals denigrating her spelling instead of paying attention to her arguments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Like everything else, (in spite of it's implication that it is examining the issue in depth), this article takes the same, (albeit opposite side of the coin) basic one-sided simplistic approach. Citing all the benefits that individuals, small and medium size companies that gain from the lower prices. Nothing is said about all the outlying jobs that are affected when a company moves to another jurisdiction. As someone who lives in an area that was devastated by NAFTA, I can tell you it's much worse than most people imagine. I lost my job (our whole service center was shutdown) because 2 companies we serviced moved their factories to Mexico. This was a high-tech job making good money and benefits...This type of tale was very common in our area and felt all over. I still hear from small businesses that service(d) several factories in our area that never recovered because of the loss of business. One man I know owned a Welding company. He biggest customer was a raw dough products company that moved their factory to Canada. (believe it or not). He had to fire pretty much his whole staff...including his own son. I ran into an old friend the other day, he owned a wholesale supply company. He was telling me he went bankrupt and almost lost everything when most of the factories in the area left. He is working for a security company now...he's in his 50's...and says he doubts he'll ever recover enough to retire. Free trade has as many losers as it does winners IMHO...
        The article doesn't fail to recognize the particular jobs that are moved. The point is that most people are looking at only that (the "seen"), and will ignore the counter effects. That's the reason he focuses on those counter effects. Because they are the thing usually ignored.

Second, if the winners and losers are equal, then it's still not the case that the move is bad overall. But there is positive reason to think that the gains are greater than the losses. A business doesn't move for the fun of it. Moving is costly to a business. It moves because the economical gains outweigh the costs. Productivity overall increases as businesses move to where the conditions are the most economical. Mankind gets a net economic gain.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
          It's funny, while you have liberals like Cenk praising the move, you have conservatives like Palin and Courtier admonishing it. The reverse is also true, evident by this thread. Both opinions seem to be bipartisan.
          I'm shaking my head as it seems like I'm seeing Republicans become an anti-free-market party.

Comment