Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dakota Access Pipeline Debacle - and those Durned WHITE Men!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still not sure I understand the protest. Is it that the pipeline is crossing a lake, or passing through an indian reserve, or at least a place that's a historical site recognised by a tribe? I mean there's got to be a reason why the indians are there and protesting this.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I'm still not sure I understand the protest. Is it that the pipeline is crossing a lake, or passing through an indian reserve, or at least a place that's a historical site recognised by a tribe? I mean there's got to be a reason why the indians are there and protesting this.

Part of the untold story is that there is a company that has been TRUCKING oil across these same lands that stands to lose MILLIONS of dollars if that same oil is piped instead of trucked. And it becomes a "cause" that leftists can be drawn to like moths to a flame. Chaos draws liberal activists, resulting in more chaos.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Part of the untold story is that there is a company that has been TRUCKING oil across these same lands that stands to lose MILLIONS of dollars if that same oil is piped instead of trucked. And it becomes a "cause" that leftists can be drawn to like moths to a flame. Chaos draws liberal activists, resulting in more chaos.
        Then why are the indians there? They can't all be hired goons.

Comment

Then why are the indians there? You think they're all hired goons, spouting off false stories?
          You mean the Native Americans? No, they probably have legitimate concerns - unfounded or otherwise. The SWP (Stupid white people), I'm guessing in an attempt to look "noble" or something, go there to "support them", but end up being a distraction. I think it's the loony left looking for a cause and unintentionally (I hope) perverting it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You mean the Native Americans? No, they probably have legitimate concerns - unfounded or otherwise. The SWP (Stupid white people), I'm guessing in an attempt to look "noble" or something, go there to "support them", but end up being a distraction. I think it's the loony left looking for a cause and unintentionally (I hope) perverting it.
            I have no stake in it. I'm quite suspicious of any technical evaluation done by a company with a stake in it being reliable. Oil pipelines aren't known for being perfect and never-leaking. There's plenty of embarrassing spills flooding lakes and rivers from all over the world.

Is the pipeline going through a native american... some place? Do they have any graves there? Or historical sites?

And why can't the pipeline company just redirect the pipeline around the contented area?

Comment

I have no stake in it. I'm quite suspicious of any technical evaluation done by a company with a stake in it being reliable. Oil pipelines aren't known for being perfect and never-leaking. There's plenty of embarrassing spills flooding lakes and rivers from all over the world.

Is the pipeline going through a native american... some place? Do they have any graves there? Or historical sites?

And why can't the pipeline company just redirect the pipeline around the contented area?
              The goal in these protests is typically not "make them build it somewhere else" but "throw up any roadblock possible in hopes that it will never be built at all."
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                The goal in these protests is typically not "make them build it somewhere else" but "throw up any roadblock possible in hopes that it will never be built at all."
                But surely it wouldn't be impossible to move around the lake. Ostensible the only reason they're doing it is to save on construction costs by making it shorter. That's the only motivation I can see for why they would do it like that, and hire whatever draconian security force to firehose the protesters, set off attack dogs and blow off a protesters arm with a flash grenade. All excused by there being 'thugs'.

Would they really have rerouted the pipeline if this particular tripe had a chat with them? They don't seem all that intent on doing it ever since the protests started.

Comment

Here's a Time article that discusses Environmental Activism....

The Dakota Access Pipeline Fight Is the Future of Environmental Activism

Again - full disclosure, I helped start (15 years ago, and worked for them for 10 years til being bought out) one of the natural gas compression companies that is now part of Energy Transfer - I personally know a lot of the principals in this, and am privy to some background information not yet made public.

Remember when the environmental anarchists were destroying brand new SUVs in dealerships? This is akin to that, IMOHBAO.

It's amazing how gullible people can be, getting duped into destroying property, affecting the lives of local businesses, inconveniencing their fellow man and causing general mayhem with no real solution in mind - just "I'm mad and I'm acting out".

Comment

But surely it wouldn't be impossible to move around the lake. Ostensible the only reason they're doing it is to save on construction costs by making it shorter. That's the only motivation I can see for why they would do it like that, and hire whatever draconian security force to firehose the protesters, set off attack dogs and blow off a protesters arm with a flash grenade. All excused by there being 'thugs'.
                    Not impossible, but one does not simply shift the route. They would have to spend years performing studies of the potential impact the revised route might have.
                    Would they really have rerouted the pipeline if this particular tripe had a chat with them? They don't seem all that intent on doing it ever since the protests started.
                    As the article in the OP states, there were hundreds of opportunities to meet, including several dozen with the particular sub-tribe; the sub-tribe gave every indication that it wasn't particularly interested in chatting.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      EGGzackly -- environmental terrorism. I wonder how much carbon Jaecp's bus will spew getting him there to protest, and what carbon footprint this anarchy produces.

Comment

according to CP's opening post, the reason they are putting the pipe there is because there is already another pipeline there. This makes the environmental impact LESS than having to reroute it.

It is basically a protest against fossil fuels altogether, by environmentalists. And the trucking company. I bet trucking the oil is a lot harder on the environment than piping it!

Comment

It's amazing how gullible people can be, getting duped into destroying property, affecting the lives of local businesses, inconveniencing their fellow man and causing general mayhem with no real solution in mind - just "I'm mad and I'm acting out".
                          But there is a solution, the pipeline company could have redirected the pipeline. The only reason they're building it there despite protests is because it saves them some money. I doubt it would make the difference between affordable, and not affordable.

This isn't exactly local business either, unless you mean the local people hired temporarily to build the pipeline (jobs that will disappear as soon as the pipeline is built). And the company is also inconveniencing their fellow men, namely these native americans. And again, they're protesting for some reason. And I doubt they were just hired by an oil trucking company. Even if that is true, a focus on that is simple diluting the message of their protest.

The solution is simple, tear down the pipeline back to some junction, and redirect. But that costs money, and whenever something costs money companies basically don't care, unless you have a government putting its shoe against their throat.

Comment

repeat from the OP:

Comment

EGGzackly -- environmental terrorism. I wonder how much carbon Jaecp's bus will spew getting him there to protest, and what carbon footprint this anarchy produces.
                              Isn't that kind of a chicken before the egg accusation. Just because we haven't transitioned entirely to renewable energy, doesn't mean it's hypocritical in the slightest to use whatever infrastructure we have now.

I've always argued, and so has anyone sensible, that any transition logically requires a mix of things for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                repeat from the OP:
                                Is this your permission from you as a moderator, for me to begin spam posting articles?

Comment