Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are the Left champions of personal liberty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Left champions of personal liberty?

It often seems like it is treated as common knowledge that in modern United States, the Left are the champions of personal liberty, while the Right are the defenders of economic liberty (and so libertarians are often described as something like economically conservative and personally/socially liberal). (And vice versa, the Left is thought of as being restrictive of economic freedom, while the Right as being restrictive of personal/social freedom).

As I've thought about it more recently, I'm finding it difficult to think of areas in which the Left are champions of personal liberty. The only case that is coming to mind is defense of the liberty of consenting adults to engage in whatever sexual acts they want. I'm sure I'm just forgetting some, but no others are coming to mind. Can someone help me out?

This pretty much describes the Left's view of personal liberty:

prochoice_only_counts_for_abortion.jpg
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You can sum up the rights view of government and freedom like this.

Comment

Even one of the alleged achievements of the left, reproductive rights, is a completely an utter failure.

Once a woman is pregnant the man loses all rights over the child.

The woman can declare the child a 'mass of cells' and kill it.
        The woman can declare the child a 'baby' and enslave the man to child payments for 18 years.

That isn't reproductive rights, that is reproductive slavery.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          This pretty much describes the Left's view of personal liberty:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19812[/ATTACH]
          Hmmm. I think I saw that somewhere recently.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
            It often seems like it is treated as common knowledge that in modern United States, the Left are the champions of personal liberty, while the Right are the defenders of economic liberty (and so libertarians are often described as something like economically conservative and personally/socially liberal). (And vice versa, the Left is thought of as being restrictive of economic freedom, while the Right as being restrictive of personal/social freedom).

As I've thought about it more recently, I'm finding it difficult to think of areas in which the Left are champions of personal liberty. The only case that is coming to mind is defense of the liberty of consenting adults to engage in whatever sexual acts they want. I'm sure I'm just forgetting some, but no others are coming to mind. Can someone help me out?
            So, unless you want this thread to be nothing but a bunch of people bitching about abortion you're probably going to want to focus this thing, fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              So, unless you want this thread to be nothing but a bunch of people bitching about abortion you're probably going to want to focus this thing, fast.
              If you think the point of the cartoon is "bitching about abortion," you're reading it all wrong.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                You can sum up the rights view of government and freedom like this.

Oh look, another strawman meme.

If you think the cartoon is a stawman, why?
                sigpic

Comment

Oh look, another strawman meme.

If you think the cartoon is a stawman, why?
                  You posted one so I joined in with mine.

Comment

If you think the point of the cartoon is "bitching about abortion," you're reading it all wrong.
                    Did I quote you?

Comment

The left are champions of personal freedom as long as you don't hinder their ability to stomp on yours.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Dense as ever. The point of that Peanuts strip was that some liberals like to self-righteously boast of being "pro-choice" when in fact they are anything but.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Anybody want to jump in and give some examples? So far we only have people who say there aren't any examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                            You posted one so I joined in with mine.
                            Let me try this again. Why do you think the cartoon is a strawman?
                            sigpic

Comment

Did I quote you?
                              No?
                              sigpic

Comment