Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Destroying the Electoral College: The Anti-Federalist National Popular Vote Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I am guessing Trump has changed his mind about it after going on a rant against it in 2012.
    Not necessarily. Remember, if it had been abolished beforehand, he and his campaign would have focused on different states and the popular vote could very well be different than what we have now. He may not like the electoral college, but that's what he would have to win to become president so he worked to try to win it and succeeded.

Now, if the system had been changed to a popular vote, he lost it, but he would have won had the electoral college remained, then perhaps that would have been another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      If they want. They're allowed to under the electoral college, after all.
      In theory, yes, but they would be going against hundreds of years of tradition.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's not very charitable to assume anybody who disagrees with you is stupid. I would suggest that in the past century in particular, the boundaries between the states have blurred significantly and that at this point in time, individual states are not the disparate entities they once were.

I don't buy the argument that "rural, smaller town voters" would be ignored. As it stands now, most of these voters already can be ignored because they don't live in swing states.
        I didn't say they were stupid, I said they were ignorant. And rural states aren't ignored even if candidates do tend to focus on swing states. They're mathematically required for an electoral college win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I didn't say they were stupid, I said they were ignorant.
          Either way, the attitude that "any thinking person must agree with me" is simply arrogant.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Either way, the attitude that "any thinking person must agree with me" is simply arrogant.
            Oh, so now you're going to criticize me for your interpretation of my "attitude".

How about instead you just admit you were wrong and that I never said they were stupid. I chose the word "ignorant" for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              In theory, yes, but they would be going against hundreds of years of tradition.
              And said tradition includes a fair number of faithless electors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                So tell me, how many times has a president won the electoral college during the election but ultimately lost because faithless electors went against the will of the people?

Comment

I don't buy the argument that "rural, smaller town voters" would be ignored. As it stands now, most of these voters already can be ignored because they don't live in swing states.
                  Apparently Hillary laughed at Bill when he said she should try to appeal to rural voters. And then she lost the election. Maybe she should have taken Bill's advice

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/11/13/aps-pace-2/

Comment

It's not very charitable to assume anybody who disagrees with you is stupid. I would suggest that in the past century in particular, the boundaries between the states have blurred significantly and that at this point in time, individual states are not the disparate entities they once were.

Lot of rural areas in places like Iowa, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Not necessarily. Remember, if it had been abolished beforehand, he and his campaign would have focused on different states and the popular vote could very well be different than what we have now. He may not like the electoral college, but that's what he would have to win to become president so he worked to try to win it and succeeded.

Now, if the system had been changed to a popular vote, he lost it, but he would have won had the electoral college remained, then perhaps that would have been another matter.
                      EGGzackly - BOTH sides knew the rules 'going in' - and BOTH sides campaigned strategically for "the 270", not for the popular vote.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                        Not since 1972 has a faithless elector cast for a different party. Most of the time when there is a block of "faithless electors", it was because the candidate died before the EC votes were cast.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A lot of electors would have to change their votes for the election to change. And that would cause an outroar that would put the current sissy protests to shame. It would be we could no longer trust our electors. The snowflakes would be happy of course, THIS time. but what about the next time it could happen? So I think both sides would revolt against such a thing.

So theoretically it could happen, but not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Not since 1972 has a faithless elector cast for a different party. Most of the time when there is a block of "faithless electors", it was because the candidate died before the EC votes were cast.
                            A quick check of Wikipedia suggests the opposite - that there have only been two instances when multiple "faithless electors" voted differently because of a candidate's death, but six instances of a block of "faithless electors" voting against their pledge because they did not like the candidate (1896, 1836, 1832, 1828, 1801 and 1796).

The 1796 election was bizarre, with some faithless electors conspiring to change the electoral victor from Adams to Pinckney, only to be thwarted by a different group of faithless electors who declined to vote for Pinckney (as they had pledged) at all, with the result that Pinckney, who would have become vice-president if the electoral college had all voted as they had pledged to, lost the vice-president post to Jefferson.

Why do y'all still permit such shenanigans???
                            Last edited by Roy; 11-14-2016, 10:57 AM.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I'm all for destroying the electoral college. The popular vote is what we need. Elections should be determined by the will of the majority, not the minority. The electoral college is insanity.
                              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                A quick check of Wikipedia suggests the opposite - that there have only been two instances when multiple "faithless electors" voted differently because of a candidate's death, but six instances of a block of "faithless electors" voting against their pledge because they did not like the candidate (1896, 1836, 1832, 1828, 1801 and 1796).

The 1796 election was bizarre, with some faithless electors conspiring to change the electoral victor from Adams to Pinckney, only to be thwarted by a different group of faithless electors who declined to vote for Pinckney (as they had pledged) at all, with the result that Pinckney, who would have become vice-president if the electoral college had all voted as they had pledged to, lost the vice-president post to Jefferson.

Why do y'all still allow such shenanigans???
                                I think this is actually the way the founding fathers wanted it, to prevent uninformed voters from electing an idiot president. The electors are supposed to be well informed and will usually vote the way the people do, but they don't have to. So if the popular vote decided to vote in a complete moron, then the electors have a choice to not vote that person it. But states were also afraid that the electors could do the opposite and vote in someone else despite the informed will of the people, so they made sure that the electors were dedicated men and women that swore to vote the way the people in the state wanted and not to vote their own will instead.

So it was another "check and balance"

So legally they can change the vote to Clinton if they want and that is the actual vote that counts. But if you think the riots now are bad, just wait if they do something like that.

Comment