Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexism

So I see all these feminists upset that a majority of women voted for Trump.
    They seem to be saying that a majority of women cannot be trusted to make the correct choice at the ballot box.

Sounds kind of... sexist.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Warning potty mouth alert in the video...

Female shaming, the loving liberal way.

Comment

It is true that a majority of people cannot make a responsible choice at the polls. This has nothing to do with this week's election, just a general statement.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        It is true that a majority of people cannot make a responsible choice at the polls. This has nothing to do with this week's election, just a general statement.
        Yes indeed.

Who has properly and fully investigated the viewpoint and actions of the politicians so as to vote wisely? One problem with the popular vote is that people are so easily guided by marketing skills and party lines rather than by finding the most reasonably reliable information.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Warning potty mouth alert in the video...

Female shaming, the loving liberal way.
          hmm. did this woman vote for Bill Clinton? Was she smart enough not to vote for Bill back in the day?

The next woman is reacting to the view of her parents and assuming this is the view of everyone who voted for Trump -- i.e. assuming that everyone is saying that a woman is unskilled to run the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            So I see all these feminists upset that a majority of women voted for Trump.
            They seem to be saying that a majority of women cannot be trusted to make the correct choice at the ballot box.

Sounds kind of... sexist.
            A majority of WHITE women voted for Trump. A majority of women voted for Clinton. Why are you erasing the bodies and experiences of people of color?
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Considering how much viewpoint, experience, priorities, etc. goes into a choice at the polls, I'm not sure how you can make this statement.

Everybody thinks they're making a responsible choice, then insist that any dissenters are not.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                Considering how much viewpoint, experience, priorities, etc. goes into a choice at the polls, I'm not sure how you can make this statement.

Everybody thinks they're making a responsible choice, then insist that any dissenters are not.
                Really, it was just a joke, but I do see the nearly complete lack of debate questions on issues related to energy, environment, inflation, national debt, etc. symptomatic of a failure of republicanism (not that I have any better suggestion).
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Really, it was just a joke, but I do see the nearly complete lack of debate questions on issues related to energy, environment, inflation, national debt, etc. symptomatic of a failure of republicanism (not that I have any better suggestion).
                  Yeah, the debates are a waste of time. Information about where a candidate stands on various issues is still available, though.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    Yeah, the debates are a waste of time. Information about where a candidate stands on various issues is still available, though.
                    I don't know how much this matters when the issues do not even enter into the wider discussion. There is no mandate for certain issues even to be addressed if they barely register as a blip on the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      A majority of WHITE women voted for Trump. A majority of women voted for Clinton. Why are you erasing the bodies and experiences of people of color?
                      Not technically true. Of the white women who voted in the election, a majority of them voted for Trump. A subtle difference, but too many distortions are made with statistics. As for the sexism of it, I'd wager that some of those women voted for Trump did so because they were told they "ought" to vote for Hilary by the left... People don't tend to appreciate having their intelligence insulted, whether male or female.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                        Not technically true. Of the white women who voted in the election, a majority of them voted for Trump. A subtle difference, but too many distortions are made with statistics. As for the sexism of it, I'd wager that some of those women voted for Trump did so because they were told they "ought" to vote for Hilary by the left... People don't tend to appreciate having their intelligence insulted, whether male or female.
                        This is pedantry, it's obvious we're talking about women who voted given that the subject is who voted. Not everything needs to be explicitly laid out.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I don't know how much this matters when the issues do not even enter into the wider discussion. There is no mandate for certain issues even to be addressed if they barely register as a blip on the radar.
                          I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There are always hot-button issues, with the rest not really being part of the discussion.

The philosopher in me would greatly prefer axiomatic statements bolstered by examples of how they interact in practice. I'm too cynical to hope for that outcome.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            This is pedantry, it's obvious we're talking about women who voted given that the subject is who voted. Not everything needs to be explicitly laid out.
                            I did say "technically", which implies I'm about to be pedantic. But, since that point was still more important than the other I mentioned, I'll decline from further comment.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for turning my excellent thread into a semantic hissy-fit.
                              *sigh*

Why do I have to do all the work around here?
                              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment