Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An obstetrician's opinion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Correct. Unlike you, I fess up to my biases and actions.
    Once again you are acknowledging you have engaged in trolling something of which you regularly accuse me. That is rather hypocritical of you, would you not agree?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    For the purposes of mocking your continuous ing, yes.
    Oh I see. So now you are engaging in tactics of which you like to accuse me?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm done with this little ing exercise of yours -- the readers will come to their own conclusions.
    What a pity you did not make all your various excuses crystal clear in your initial reply to me where you acknowledged you had engaged in behaviours associated with "trolling".
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Once again you...
      How bout we set that aside while you explain to me how the law works in Texas.

How would a "mercenary" obtain a "reward" in this Texas law situation?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How bout we set that aside while you explain to me how the law works in Texas.

How would a "mercenary" obtain a "reward" in this Texas law situation?
        Well first he would hunt down the varmint. Then shoot it. Then turn in the tail for the $5 bounty. Right?

Comment

• Back to the actual topic....

and, note, it shows the quote from H_A, but it's actually part of the OP she cited...

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          If I worked in Texas, anyone could sue me under the new law. But not just me. Anybody could also sue you, should you be the secretary who made the appointment; or the neighbor who watched other kids to make the appointment possible; or the Uber driver who took the patient to the clinic. The payout is at minimum $10,000 per defendant, with no upper limit.
          The Uber driver?

The language of S.B. 8 says people who perform the abortion — as well as anyone who “knowingly engages in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion” — can be legally liable. The assistance includes the “paying for or reimbursing the costs of an abortion.”

The "Uber driver" would have to "knowingly engage in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion".

This is how silly the OP is - making dumb claims totally ignorant of the actual law.

The "neighbor wo watched the kids" would need to "knowingly engage in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion".

In this way, the law creates a mercenary and adversarial relationship between a community and its medical providers. ...
          "mercenary"?

Gross misrepresentation of the law.

Why?

Bias.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course I do not but I am not the one censoring Dr Karkowsky or questioning her motives.
            Who has censored her?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Who has censored her?
              She subsequently claims she meant "censured".

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Why didn't you say so in the first place? A simple answer to the question I asked you. You should just have stopped after "of course I do not".

So, therefore, everything you have stated here about the doctor's patient records are only your opinion.
                But expressing your opinion without seeing patient records is only wrong for others. It's perfectly fine acceptable when she does it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Back to the actual topic....

and, note, it shows the quote from H_A, but it's actually part of the OP she cited...

The Uber driver?

The language of S.B. 8 says people who perform the abortion — as well as anyone who “knowingly engages in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion” — can be legally liable. The assistance includes the “paying for or reimbursing the costs of an abortion.”

The "Uber driver" would have to "knowingly engage in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion".
                  This is how silly the OP is - making dumb claims totally ignorant of the actual law.

The "neighbor wo watched the kids" would need to "knowingly engage in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion".

"mercenary"?

Gross misrepresentation of the law.

Why?

Bias.
                  It could be argued in a court that the taxi driver or neighbour assisted in a woman obtaining an abortion by driving her to a clinic or taking care of her other children while she went for her abortion.

Of course these are all potential test cases given that this law permits private citizens to bring civil suits. How those will be decided is of course up to the courts.

However, that the possibility exists potentially puts medical staff and anyone tangentially involved in a woman obtaining an abortion in jeopardy, and of course that is the underlying motive for this Bill, intimidate by the possible risk of being sued.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Plaid! Plaid, I say!

And a great big Kevorkian!
                    Well, it's official. This thread has now...

Comment

She subsequently claims she meant "censured".
                      Yeah. Just saw that. No reason to doubt it was just a spelling mistake.

Comment

It could be argued in a court that the taxi driver or neighbour assisted in a woman obtaining an abortion by driving her to a clinic or taking care of her other children while she went for her abortion.
                        No, you're, again, exposing your ignorance --- there needs to be the "knowingly" factor. That would have to be proven.
                        Have you ever used Uber? You request a ride on the app, you get in the car, they take you to your location, and they're gone.
                        Nobody in their right mind would cite the Uber driver (that was the example) OR a taxi driver.

Of course these are all potential test cases given that this law permits private citizens to bring civil suits. How those will be decided is of course up to the courts.
                        And I have said all along that this law appears to be (and I got a partial confirmation from the Attorney General last night) to hasten this issue to SCOTUS.

However, that the possibility exists potentially puts medical staff and anyone tangentially involved in a woman obtaining an abortion in jeopardy, and of course that is the underlying motive for this Bill, intimidate by the possible risk of being sued.
                        How?

How would this work?

How would the case get into court? What's the process? How does a "mercenary" obtain this "reward"?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Who has censored her?
                          Wake up at the back. I corrected that typo earlier today.

Post # 392

Inadvertent Typo

Of course I do not but I am not the one censoring Dr Karkowsky.

Should have read:

Of course I do not but I am not the one censuring Dr Karkowsky

Post # 395 to Cow Poke and Gondwanaland :

See my correction at post #392. It seems I either mistyped an "o" for a "u" or my tablet's predictive text did not recognise the word censured.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well first he would hunt down the varmint. Then shoot it. Then turn in the tail for the $5 bounty. Right?
                            We used to get something like 2 cents for each prairie dog tail we brought in up in South Dakota in the 60s. Pretty much just enough to pay for the .22 ammo you used back then.

Comment

Are mercenaries [if you are referring to military personnel] paid in advance?

Er, yes. They're usually paid weekly or biweekly like any other employee, usually with a starting expense payment for equipment or supplies needed for the mission.

One assumes the courts would award in their favour.
                              on what basis does "one assume" that?
                              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 09-15-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Wake up at the back. I corrected that typo earlier today.

Post # 392

Inadvertent Typo

Of course I do not but I am not the one censoring Dr Karkowsky.

Should have read:

Of course I do not but I am not the one censuring Dr Karkowsky

Post # 395 to Cow Poke and Gondwanaland :

See my correction at post #392. It seems I either mistyped an "o" for a "u" or my tablet's predictive text did not recognise the word censured.
                                Wake up in back. I already noted that at post #145

Comment