Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"It’s dehumanizing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How interesting that most of the responses so far have been from those who will never find themselves pregnant.

The view that banning abortion entirely will also "make it go away" is another ludicrously naive belief. However, at least on this thread it seems that patriarchy rules!
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

That is way over the top Sparko. Especially wrt a secular government. There is no way to justify - in terms of secular, scientific reasoning, considering the early phases of pregnancy as more than a developing but as yet unrealized human being.
      Show me a secular, scientific reasoning justifying the prohibition of murder.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That is way over the top Sparko. Especially wrt a secular government. There is no way to justify - in terms of secular, scientific reasoning, considering the early phases of pregnancy as more than a developing but as yet unrealized human being. This view is strictly a religious perspective, just as the Jewish view that the baby is not a soul until it takes it's first breath is strictly a religious view, since there is no physical justification for it either.
        You are wrong Ox. It is a purely scientific view. A new human organism starts at conception. Biology 101. You are the one trying to make it religious bringing up souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          How interesting that most of the responses so far have been from those who will never find themselves pregnant.

The view that banning abortion entirely will also "make it go away" is another ludicrously naive belief. However, at least on this thread it seems that patriarchy rules!
          I identify as pregnant.

Comment

It's not the baby's fault for having an evil father.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

It's not surprising at all.

You posted this in a forum that, from all accounts, is populated by a likely vast majority of people who cannot get pregnant.

You might as well get surprised that most of the responses so far will be from Americans or Christians...

Comment

I probably couldn't even if I tried. I'll just mom the kids at church.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The way I see it is that the talk about "rape/incest" is really emotional cudgels trying to argue for the whole based on the exception.
                  I see no legitimate argument that does not consider them valid and legitimate exceptions to any moral imperative in that it make the woman a victim twice over. What is perhaps the 'emotional cudgel' is trying to extend those legitimate exceptions into justifying abortion as birth control throughout the complete pregnancy.

What talk of rape/incest does do is give us a window into the rationality of of the person (or lawmaking body) that is advocating against abortion (just as late term abortion debate give us a window into the rationality of those that are pro-choice). Since these are legitimate exceptions worthy of discussion, and since a woman pregnant by incest or rape is the victim of a violent crime, people willing to dismiss them out of hand are not fully rational wrt their position, and likely have lost most or all empathy for said victim.

You might ask what would I do faced with such a tradgedy? At this point in my life, I would not abort the child. But that does not mean I would take away that possibility for someone else not able to bear such a consequence. It means living every single day for the rest of you live with a reminder of a horrible crime. And not everyone is equipped to do that.

You might ask what about adoption? And I would ask back these things - are you and others like you willing to bear the cost of that adoption - e,g, the cost of the emotional and psychological care the woman will require, and the cost of restoring to the victim the life and educational possibilities or work opportunities lost by being forced to carry the baby to term, the cost of care for the child until someone adopts it?
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-03-2021, 10:49 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The patriarchy does rule, the way nature intended.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I would submit that is because you can not be threatened with a rape event or incest that can produce a pregnancy. They are valid and legitimate exceptions to any moral imperative in that it make the woman a victim twice over. What is the 'emotional cudgel' is trying to extend that legitimate exception into justifying abortion as birth control.

What talk of rape/incest does do it give us a window into the rationality of of the person (or lawmaking body) we are talking about. Since these are legitimate exceptions worthy of discussion, and since a woman pregnant by incest or rape is the victim of a violent crime, people willing to dismiss them out of hand are both not fully rational and also have lost most or all empathy for said victim.
                      And there's the cudgel I just mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

The patriarchy does rule, the way nature intended.
                        There is nothing "natural" about patriarchy however much you may wish it was so.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Show me a secular, scientific reasoning justifying the prohibition of murder.
                          That is an emotive contention. It also ignores the fact that killing is accepted [and sometimes even condoned] within other circumstances.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The pro-abortion crowd loves to play the men-shouldn't-have-a-say-in-this-because-they-don't-get-pregnant card except when a nearly all male Supreme Court legalized abortion. Suddenly they didn't mind men having a say at all.

Moreover, the polls have been shown that women favor tighter restrictions on abortions at a higher rate than men, so I'm all for letting the women hash it out

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• rogue06
                              rogue06 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Correction: the all-male SCOTUS

There is nothing "natural" about patriarchy however much you may wish it was so.
                            Why is that? If we do it, it is "natural" isn't it? Just like in the animal world. We are not different are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You are wrong Ox. It is a purely scientific view. A new human organism starts at conception. Biology 101. You are the one trying to make it religious bringing up souls.
                              That potential life begins at conception is not really the issue. The issue is whether a woman should be told what she can and cannot do with her body if she is raped or if her contraception fails.

And as a matter of interest how many men replying to this thread have volunteered to adopt upward of five or more unwanted babies to rear as their own? You all have millions to save, don't you?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment