Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Stands Behind the New Palestinian War Against Israel? | Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And yet the military has both missiles and rockets. Go figure.

Do you remember those pods that hung from the sides of military helicopters? Those held and fired rockets. Like in the attack scene in Apocalypses Now where they played "Flight of the Valkyries." Those are rockets.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Dang. These clips make me so want to whip something up for Independence Day like I used to do before 9/11. smiley rub hands.gif

I haven't made anything that can break a window from a half mile away in a looooooong time

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Technically a missile, but better thought of as a projectile.
        yup
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

yup
          It was a rock(et)

Comment

The boat/ship analogy is probably a good one but don't ever tell anyone who was in the Navy or even Merchant Marines that a boat and ship are essentially the same thing. You will be disabused of that notion.
            And, again, in the old days, a ship was anything with 3 or more masts.

And a submarine, well.... you've got the COB -- the Chief of the BOAT, so....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I thought the primary distinction was guidance. Rockets were dumb projectiles which went where they were pointed, and missiles could be steered after launch.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                I thought the primary distinction was guidance. Rockets were dumb projectiles which went where they were pointed, and missiles could be steered after launch.
                Today, I believe that's true --- the rockets were aimed (from a helicopter, for example) then fired by positioning the nose of the helicopter toward the target, where missiles developed into the "fire and forget".

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It was a rock(et)
                  can'tdisagree.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                    That's what I meant when I wrote

Rockets tend to be Play n' Spray (or Spray n' Pray), whereas missiles tend to have some sort of guidance.

Comment

Today, I believe that's true --- the rockets were aimed (from a helicopter, for example) then fired by positioning the nose of the helicopter toward the target, where missiles developed into the "fire and forget".
                      Or maybe earlier?

war_rocket.gif
                      Those aim and fire in the direction of the enemy rockets have been around for awhile. The "rocket's red glare" in the National Anthem refers to Congreve rockets invented in 1804 by Sir William Congreve. While most Congreve rockets used in battle weighed in at around 30 lbs., some were ten times that size.

And going back much earlier, you have the Chinese and their "Fire Arrows" which kind of looked like a large weaponized bottle rocket.

They used these for centuries, likely as far back as the time when William invaded England and became known as the Conqueror, although their first recorded use was during the battle of Kai-Keng, in which the Chinese repelled the Mongols with a barrage of "arrows of flying fire" in 1232.

In fact that had a variety of multiple rocket launcher ranging from basket-like hand-held ones in the 11th cent.

As well as larger cart-drawn ones called Hwacha in the 12th cent.

Comment

Or maybe earlier?

war_rocket.gif
                        Those aim and fire in the direction of the enemy rockets have been around for awhile. The "rocket's red glare" in the National Anthem refers to Congreve rockets invented in 1804 by Sir William Congreve. While most Congreve rockets used in battle weighed in at around 30 lbs., some were ten times that size.

And going back much earlier, you have the Chinese and their "Fire Arrows" which kind of looked like a large weaponized bottle rocket.

They used these for centuries, likely as far back as the time when William invaded England and became known as the Conqueror, although their first recorded use was during the battle of Kai-Keng, in which the Chinese repelled the Mongols with a barrage of "arrows of flying fire" in 1232.

In fact that had a variety of multiple rocket launcher ranging from basket-like hand-held ones in the 11th cent.

As well as larger cart-drawn ones called Hwacha in the 12th cent.

Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned that "fire and forget" was because of the guidance system that would track the target and take the missile to it without operator intervention.

I remember when they were debuting the F15-E and it's ability to simultaneously track and "fire and forget" 16 targets (or as many missiles as it was carrying).

Comment

On the rockets --- you know those metal folding chairs we use in Church - with the "heel bar" between the front legs?

Sometimes those 'tubes' would fall off, and they made PERFECT mobile launching platforms for bottle rockets!!!

Insert bottle rocket into one end leaving the fuse hanging out, light fuse, aim and ..... right on target!

Comment

On the rockets --- you know those metal folding chairs we use in Church - with the "heel bar" between the front legs?

Sometimes those 'tubes' would fall off, and they made PERFECT mobile launching platforms for bottle rockets!!!

Insert bottle rocket into one end leaving the fuse hanging out, light fuse, aim and ..... right on target!
                            The narrow tubes or even the old thick bottled Coke bottles worked the best unless you were intending to set off a fusillade...

Comment

Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned that "fire and forget" was because of the guidance system that would track the target and take the missile to it without operator intervention.

I remember when they were debuting the F15-E and it's ability to simultaneously track and "fire and forget" 16 targets (or as many missiles as it was carrying).
                              So you do agree that there is a difference between rockets and missiles.

Comment

So you do agree that there is a difference between rockets and missiles.
                                I've been pretty ambivalent about it all along --- generally, missiles are "smart rockets".

Comment