Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

George H. W. Bush voting for Clinton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I want to see Xena, the Warrior Princess.
    Isn't she an Amazonian?
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Definitely on my bucket list.
      Mine too - have wanted to go there for a long time,* but while I've managed to tour parts of the US via extending business trips, I've never worked with a NZ company.

*in both senses
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

The majority of those US overseas installations are in Germany (218), Japan (115) and Italy (68). There are also 16 in Afghanistan, and a particularly notorious one in Cuba.

Do you really think that the US was invited to those countries?
        My dear Roy, what are you counting as an 'installation'...
        I'm using the same list that you were commenting on.
        ... and even than, you are aware that Germany, Japan, and Italy are allies of the US today, right?
        Of course I am. So what? US military presence in Germany, Japan and Italy is largely the result of invading/conquering those countries at the end of WWII. Your suggestion that the US was invited in to establish military bases in those countries is laughable.
        Our one in Cuba was established back before the current government came into power and yes, the US was invited there, by that previous government.
        In this universe, they weren't invited - the US navy invaded during the Spanish-American war and never left. But since you don't know about the Allied occupation of Germany, what chance is there of you getting that right?
        The current Afghanistan government also allows us there too (you do know what a SOFA is and that we have these with Germany, Japan, Italy, and Afghanistan, right?). So you have what.... one example (that even at that, was something we established with the previous Cuban government) out of hundreds because you don't understand what you're talking about.
        One example? Are you still trying to pretend that US military bases in Germany and Japan were established by invitation???
        You really should stop trying to have these conversations with those who know better than you do Roy. I've already embarrassed you on other topics, do you really need to be schooled on US military agreements too?
        I'm not trying to have a conversation with you, I'm pointing out that your claim that foreign US military bases were the result of the US being invited in to those countries is total bollocks - not that you'll ever admit it - and shows that once again you are making fatuous claims about the US in relation to the rest of the world.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I'm using the same list that you were commenting on.Of course I am. So what? US military presence in Germany, Japan and Italy is largely the result of invading/conquering those countries at the end of WWII. Your suggestion that the US was invited in to establish military bases in those countries is laughable.In this universe, they weren't invited - the US navy invaded during the Spanish-American war and never left. But since you don't know about the Allied occupation of Germany, what chance is there of you getting that right?One example? Are you still trying to pretend that US military bases in Germany and Japan were established by invitation???I'm not trying to have a conversation with you, I'm pointing out that your claim that foreign US military bases were the result of the US being invited in to those countries is total bollocks - not that you'll ever admit it - and shows that once again you are making fatuous claims about the US in relation to the rest of the world.
          If I may.

You do know that she would rather chew glass than admit she was wrong about anything, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            I know how to use a map, know how to read, and a factbook before I open my mouth (unlike you). You should learn to do these things yourself. It would keep all that egg off your face.
            ...says the person who just claimed that the US was invited to set up foreign military bases in countries they invaded.
            Last edited by Roy; 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              If I may.

You do know that she would rather chew glass than admit she was wrong about anything, right?
              Yup. Been here before.

Comment

Yup. Been here before.
                It's like arguing with a teenager, isn't it?

Comment

It's like arguing with a teenager, isn't it?
                  Most teenagers I know are aware of their shortcomings.

Comment

Most teenagers I know are aware of their shortcomings.
                    I used to excuse her by believing she was one but now, she's gotta be in her 20's.

Comment

...says the person who just claimed that the US was invited to set up foreign military bases in countries they invaded.
                      When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, that was our engraved invitation to come visit their wonderful country. It took a while, of course, but we got there.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, that was our engraved invitation to come visit their wonderful country. It took a while, of course, but we got there.
                        Yep, use an act of war seventy five years ago to excuse staying in a country that's been peaceful for decades.

Damn.

Comment

Certainly was. I understand you "worked closely with them" in Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, near Midway Island and eventually Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Comment

Yep, use an act of war seventy five years ago to excuse staying in a country that's been peaceful for decades.

Damn.
                            Ummm.... that was a bit tounge-in-cheek. Our nations get along fine, though there's obviously tension over our military bases there.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Certainly was. I understand you "worked closely with them" in Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, near Midway Island and eventually Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
                              I did?

Comment

I dont know about Japan, but the general German public were very happy that the Nazi's were defeated and welcomed the Americans. I know, my mom was German and lived through it. Once the Nazi's were defeated, the German citizens welcomed the Americans in, and arrested the remaining Nazi's and even ran some of them out of town on rails. Good old tar and feathering. Especially the Nazi school teachers. She specifically remembered that. Same in Italy. I have some Italian friends who told me similar stories.

At first the US Army was an occupying army but by 1949 both Italy and Germany were members of NATO and were US Allies. The US bases were instrumental in keeping the Soviets out of the rest of Europe after the war. The US military bases in Germany and other European countries were there more for protection than keeping Germany from starting up again. I lived on 3 different military bases in Germany growing up in the 70's. Their primary purpose were as Pershing Missile bases to protect Germany and Europe from Soviet threats during the cold war.

Comment