Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another court decision...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    But they cover the same areas.
    It's the intent of the wearer. If the wearer intends to display her (or his) body, that's their business ... within certain limits that vary state to state. The photographer took that decision away from his victims.

(I'm playing devil's advocate here... I think the guy is a slime ball who would have eaten that cell phone)
    I assumed so, but thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      No, Sparko. The reference to "government" is another way of saying "providence"--God's purported governance of the earth, and of the circumstances of life.

I despise arguments based on ambiguity. They are irritating under the best of circumstances.

Comment

Be as stupid as you wish, Sparko. When you wish to discuss real issues instead of your idiocy, let me know.

Comment

Be as stupid as you wish, Sparko. When you wish to discuss real issues instead of your idiocy, let me know.
          well I was being facetious to begin with Outis.

But the "government" referred to is the actual government because they believed that God gave them the authority to rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            well I was being facetious to begin with Outis.
            Did you not see earlier where I noted that I can't tell the difference? Or do you just not give a damn about other people so long as you have your fun?

Comment

Did you not see earlier where I noted that I can't tell the difference? Or do you just not give a damn about other people so long as you have your fun?
              actually no I didn't see that. sorry to spit in your oatmeal. sheesh.

Comment

Um, you're both mistaken. From the context it's referring to God's governance (the way God governs) not to a specific type of government or administration. It clearly does not refer to providence - that means God's provision whereas government refers to authority.

Sparky's argument can be made for the time period (since government was, as per the Roman's citation, viewed as being ordained by God any given government must necessarily be His - might well have been the law's intent, actually). In modern law, probably not. Since he's being sarcastic, I doubt it matters...

Seriously, Out, you gotta learn to tell the difference between serious and sarcastic. You're missing out on a lot of fun - and tilting at a lot of windmills - by assuming serious all the time.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I like this law they have on the books...

Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.
                  IIRC Massachusetts requires that all men carry a rifle to church on Sunday (I guess they don't trust the wimmenfolk to do so) and that you must take a bath before going to bed (whereas in Boston you need a prescription to take more than one bath per week).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You shoot ONE guy for being annoying...
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Amen.

We REALLY need 'amens' back....
                      Amen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Amen.

We REALLY need 'amens' back....
                        Amen.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Massachusetts already passed a new law: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/06/us/mas...ban/index.html
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Massachusetts already passed a new law: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/06/us/mas...ban/index.html
                            And the governor signed it today. Makes it a crime punishable by up to 2 years in prison.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A man has become the first person charged under the law. His defense was that he heard on the radio a few months ago that it was now legal to do this.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/06/26/boston-...ng-upskirting/
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment