Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

When do you think it's justified to rise up against government?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you think it's justified to rise up against government?

I pretty much already know what the left will say, but I oftentimes see certain conservatives here at least implying the justification of taking up arms against government tyranny, and then saw the reactions of the "Great Capital Coup of the Century" that were mostly critical. I'm not saying that's a juxtaposition, nor am I giving any opinion about that incident, just sort of curious where that line is for most of you.

I understand if you don't want to vote because that might be kind of dangerous, but I'd love to hear opinions.
    Never!
    20.00%
    Only when nonviolent action is absolutely futile
    70.00%
    Any signs of government unconstitutional intrusion
    10.00%

Option D: "I don't know right now, but I'll know when it is justified."

We still have a representative government. It's just that a few states perpetrated fraud that affected national elections. I want to see reform.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

We still have a representative government. It's just that a few states perpetrated fraud that affected national elections. I want to see reform.
      What fraud? You mean voter purges, closing polling places where the opposition lives, gerrymandering?

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

What fraud? You mean voter purges, closing polling places where the opposition lives, gerrymandering?
        Pulling ballots out of suitcases hidden under floor-length tablecloths. Irregularities like stopping counting from rural districts for 12 hours for reasons never stated. Blocking windows from viewers. Waiting for observers to go home before restarting ballot counting. Those sorts of things.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          I pretty much already know what the left will say, but I oftentimes see certain conservatives here at least implying the justification of taking up arms against government tyranny, and then saw the reactions of the "Great Capital Coup of the Century" that were mostly critical. I'm not saying that's a juxtaposition, nor am I giving any opinion about that incident, just sort of curious where that line is for most of you.

I understand if you don't want to vote because that might be kind of dangerous, but I'd love to hear opinions.
          Never. At least almost always.

The Constitution, Article 1 Section 8, gives Congress the right and duty to put down armed insurrections. The Founders did not think this would be a good way to resolve disputes, and thought that having 3 branches of govt with checks and balances and having citizens vote for their leadership would be sufficient to iron out most disagreements.

It is no longer working as intended.
          Not when McConnell can refuse to even consider Obama's SCOTUS appointment with no consequences.
          Not when the Senate can refuse to hold an actual impeachment trial, with witnesses.
          Not when people called to testify before Congress can ignore subpoenas.
          Not when POTUS can ignore a SCOTUS decision as Trump did on DACA.

I think if Trump had somehow succeeded in getting Congress to toss out Biden's win, that might have justified a major upheaval. But that did not come close to happening.

Comment

Pulling ballots out of suitcases hidden under floor-length tablecloths. Irregularities like stopping counting from rural districts for 12 hours for reasons never stated. Blocking windows from viewers. Waiting for observers to go home before restarting ballot counting. Those sorts of things.
            None of that happened.

Comment

Note to anti-Trump posters, please abstain from TDS derailments. I know it's extremely hard, but at least try, thanks.

Comment

None of that happened.
                Just another expertly executed conspiracy carried out by bumblers in plain sight. Just like all the evidence the moon landing was faked but evidence of it being faked was left out all over the place. Ronson is an expert at "discernment."

Comment

The closest to my position was "Only when nonviolent action is absolutely futile" so that's how I voted.

However, I want to make it clear that I mean "Only when nonviolent action by the majority is absolutely futile." A minority might become very frustrated by being consistently outvoted by the majority, but that does not mean violence is justified.

Comment

None of that happened.
                    Must have been all faked videos

Comment

We still have a representative government. It's just that a few states perpetrated fraud that affected national elections.
                      Or so it has been baselessly alleged.

I want to see reform.
                      I'd like to see reform, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        Or so it has been baselessly alleged.
                        I judge it by what I witnessed.

I'd like to see reform, too.
                        Agreed. Even assuming there was no fraud or only a tiny amount last November, the appearance of it has obviously shaken confidence in the system.

National elections need a standard - a national standard - and not laid out by the whims of individual states.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                          Ronson is an expert at "discernment."
                          Yes, I am. Thank you for acknowledging it.

Comment

Not last Wednesday.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Can't really say.

We booted the english rats out, that involved some violence. We fought the south, that was really violent.

I guess I would leave it up to any man to decide for himself. Or any self to decide for thier self, for those offended.

If it ever came to it, I guess I would know the time to act.
                              Last edited by Maranatha; 01-08-2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment