Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Debate Malpractice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate Malpractice

I wanted to post what I see are common bad or disingenuous debate tactics. These are tactics that are designed to avoid debate as opposed to engage in it.

I want to avoid most fallacies. While fallacies are poor tactics, they are not often used disingenuously. They are made when arguing for/against a point, but may not have strength. What I'm talking about are the tactics that attempt to shut a debate down, or avoid points altogether.

There's not a commonly used name on this one, but the one I've seen most often is "Fallacy of the perverted analogy". This tactic is done by expressing outrage at the analogy subject, as if comparing two things along one axis means that you are saying they are exactly alike. (I.E. "Did you just compare <X> to <Y>?") The general answer is "Yes, along the axis of comparison then X and Y perform the same role."

The next one is malicious use of "Apples and Oranges". While analogies can be right or wrongly comparative, malicious use of apples and oranges complains that two things simply cannot be compared, usually because of something entirely unrelated to the comparison being made. I.E. You can't compare those two cars speed, one is red and one is yellow. Apples and oranges, Churchill came from England, you can't compare him to Washington. Not all apple/orange defenses are wrong, but if the comparison is wrong you should be able to define what the differences are that make the comparison invalid.

Then there's Source Dismissal. I see this one most commonly used here by those on the "lefti-ish" side of the forums. Here, an argument is dismissed entirely by simply saying it came from a particular source, regardless of the news story being reported on. The mere fact that it came from, say, the daily beast is enough to dismiss without engagement, even if the article is coming from various other "legitimate" sites, and is widely known about.

Whataboutism vs Notasbadism. These two are commonly used, I have to say I engage in the first, as do most. I would say it's poor debate tactic, but not malicious. It engages with the points being made. "If you think <A> is bad, should you not concede that it was bad when <someone else> did it?" It's not great, but it at least engages in the debate. On the otherhand, Notasbadism seeks to shut debate down. The most common way I've seen it used is to simply say "You can't complain about <A> because <your guy> did it worse." That doesn't engage in the debate, it attempts to shut it down.

Finally I'll stop with "Answer Question B when asked Question A". This is a common evasion tactic where you answer a different question as opposed to the one asked of you during a debate. It's malicious because it again avoids engaging in the question asked. This is generally done because answering question A makes the person uncomfortable or exposes a difficult trade-off they don't care to acknowledge.

What are the malicious debate tactics you've seen. Remember, we are talking about tactics designed to avoid the discussion/points, not just those that are poorly made.

Elsewhere ...

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I remember when she decided to go to bat for a fellow comrade of the other boards and tried to use pedantic tricks and claim he didn't tell a racist joke against the chinese when he very clearly did.
    I have seen posters that I normally agree with go off the rails, and post something that I completely disavow. Posters from the opposing political spectrum have then challenged me to condemn the first poster. Sometimes I have, sometimes not.

It's difficult to condemn someone that normally fights alongside with you. If it is something really egregious then I'll say something, otherwise I ignore it and move on. One must always choose their battles wisely.

The situation you describe sounds like defending one's tribe at all costs. Yuck.

Comment

"Source dismissal" is formally known as the genetic fallacy.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        "Source dismissal" is formally known as the genetic fallacy.
        Not quite. Genetic fallacy is more about attributing meaning based on it's history/source. So, when BLM want to defund the police, and justify it by saying that police originated as slave patrols, that's a genetic fallacy. Beyond that, source dismissal is really less about a logical fallacy and more about trying to shut down a discussion. Source dismissal isn't poisoning the well or ad hominem. Those tend to say "Your source is bad therefore is false" whereas dismissal is "Your source is bad, therefore no discussion is going to happen." I've seen it on other threads where the origin came from a "bad source", but even when the same article/story is provided by a logical source, the discussion doesn't go forward because it was dismissed due to the original link used.

Comment

Then there's Source Dismissal. I see this one most commonly used here by those on the "lefti-ish" side of the forums. Here, an argument is dismissed entirely by simply saying it came from a particular source, regardless of the news story being reported on. The mere fact that it came from, say, the daily beast is enough to dismiss without engagement, even if the article is coming from various other "legitimate" sites, and is widely known about.
          As far as I can tell only one "side" completely dismisses the mainstream media. I can recall reporting even from Fox and WSJ which was dismissed because it was inconvenient. I generally read the far right sources when they are presented for the purpose of understanding what the have to say even when I'm pretty confident their claims won't pan out. Look at how quickly the Russia hack story was attacked from all angles until it proved to be 100% accurate. Look at how many insane flaws there were with the Hunter Biden "laptop" story and, now that the election is over, has been essentially dropped by even Rudy. (Not trying to derail the thread but these seem like notable examples). And no, Mountain Man, as I have explained no it is not the genetic fallacy to assume past results indicate future results until genuine changes in performance have been demonstrated.

I appreciate you making this thread though because I had in mind doing something similar for the purposes of commenting on this item: the instant dismissal of what certain people have to say using simply "OMB" (or OMG or the soon to be Biden equivalents).

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

As far as I can tell only one "side" completely dismisses the mainstream media. I can recall reporting even from Fox and WSJ which was dismissed because it was inconvenient. I generally read the far right sources when they are presented for the purpose of understanding what the have to say even when I'm pretty confident their claims won't pan out. Look at how quickly the Russia hack story was attacked from all angles until it proved to be 100% accurate. Look at how many insane flaws there were with the Hunter Biden "laptop" story and, now that the election is over, has been essentially dropped by even Rudy. (Not trying to derail the thread but these seem like notable examples). And no, Mountain Man, as I have explained no it is not the genetic fallacy to assume past results indicate future results until genuine changes in performance have been demonstrated.

I appreciate you making this thread though because I had in mind doing something similar for the purposes of commenting on this item: the instant dismissal of what certain people have to say using simply "OMB" (or OMG or the soon to be Biden equivalents).
            Oh I agree that OMB is a debate killer. Having said that though, the well poisoning fallacy isn't the same as source dismissal. They are related, but source dismissal is a bit more extreme. Where well poisoning is about calling the claim into doubt because the source is questionable (which depending on the source is an entirely valid position to take, even if not valid by pure logical standards), source dismissal seeks to end the discussion entirely by simple dismissal. The biggest way I can describe when you see one and not the other is this:

When you see well poisoning, you tend to see questions about the validty, but there is still engagement with the debate, even if it's not fully about the topic.

When you see source dismissal, the comments are usually 1-2 sentences, or even something short like "Daily Beast, Lol". There is no actual attempt to engage with the points brought up, even to question their validity

Most of the "mainstream media" comments I see are of the well poisoning variety, not the straight dismissal due to sourcing.
            Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 12-24-2020, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Oh I agree that OMB is a debate killer. Having said that though, the well poisoning fallacy isn't the same as source dismissal. They are related, but source dismissal is a bit more extreme. Where well poisoning is about calling the claim into doubt because the source is questionable (which depending on the source is an entirely valid position to take, even if not valid by pure logical standards), source dismissal seeks to end the discussion entirely by simple dismissal. The biggest way I can describe when you see one and not the other is this:

When you see well poisoning, you tend to see questions about the validty, but there is still engagement with the debate, even if it's not fully about the topic.

When you see source dismissal, the comments are usually 1-2 sentences, or even something short like "Daily Beast, Lol". There is no actual attempt to engage with the points brought up, even to question their validity

Most of the "mainstream media" comments I see are of the well poisoning variety, not the straight dismissal due to sourcing.
              I think source dismissal is reasonable if the source has proven to be completely unreliable (like Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, or Donald Trump). It only ends the discussion if there is no more reliable source for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I think source dismissal is reasonable if the source has proven to be completely unreliable (like Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, or Donald Trump). It only ends the discussion if there is no more reliable source for the information.
                I do not think source dismissal is reasonable at all. To tell someone that because you don't like the source, their points deserve no actual discussion or or attention at all is bad form. You could, instead engage them and challenge them and their source. Question the logic behind their assertions and source. It's one thing to say "Trump said that does he, lets see if that actually makes any sense....<discussion> nope, makes no sense at all." And your entire post being "Lol, Trump said, NWRT"

Comment

Not quite. Genetic fallacy is more about attributing meaning based on it's history/source. So, when BLM want to defund the police, and justify it by saying that police originated as slave patrols, that's a genetic fallacy. Beyond that, source dismissal is really less about a logical fallacy and more about trying to shut down a discussion. Source dismissal isn't poisoning the well or ad hominem. Those tend to say "Your source is bad therefore is false" whereas dismissal is "Your source is bad, therefore no discussion is going to happen." I've seen it on other threads where the origin came from a "bad source", but even when the same article/story is provided by a logical source, the discussion doesn't go forward because it was dismissed due to the original link used.
                  The genetic fallacy refers to dismissing a statement of truth based solely on its source. For instance:

"Frank says he has scientific proof that the earth is spherical."
                  "Yeah, but Frank is a liar, so that claim must be false."

In this case, the claim is being rejected not on the merits of the evidence but on the basis of the claimant's reputation. Note that this reasoning is logically fallacious even if it's true that Frank is a known liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Wrong.

"President Trump says that George Washington was the first of the United States."
                    "Yeah, but Orange Man Bad, so you can't believe a word he says."

Genetic fallacy.

Comment

Wrong.

"President Trump says that George Washington was the first of the United States."

Genetic fallacy.
                      Genetic fallacy is a logical fallacy, but it's not necessarily bad debate. It's reasonable to treat some sources with skepticism in their claims. While it is true that just because it was reported in the Weekly World News, that the story about Bat Boy saving the president isn't guaranteed to be false, it is true that it is more likely than not to be false and it's reasonable to treat it skeptically.

However, that's entirely different than trying to pretend the discussion shouldn't happen at all.

Comment

Wrong.

Genetic fallacy.
                        That's just not what the genetic fallacy is and you're obscuring that by using an example with an obviously true statement. A better analogy would be one where the speaker says a statement which isn't obviously true and the credibility of the speaker is germane.

You are surely aware of this unless you think your frequent cries of "fake news" are themselves a genetic fallacy.

Comment

Genetic fallacy is a logical fallacy, but it's not necessarily bad debate.
                          A logical fallacy is always and without exception "bad debate".

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

That's just not what the genetic fallacy is...
                            That's precisely what the genetic fallacy is. More formally, it would be:

X says Y.
                            X has a perceived negative quality that is unrelated to Y.
                            Therefore, Y is false.

Broadly speaking, it's a non sequitur, that is the conclusion does not follow from the premises, but it's more commonly known as the genetic fallacy since its based on the false notion that the merits of a claim are inherited from its source.

Honestly, it surprises me that anybody is even trying to debate this.

Comment

A logical fallacy is always and without exception "bad debate".
                              Logical fallacies are not always bad debate. Strict Logic doesn't hold in debate.

For example:
                              Opinion Polls (i.e. the will of the people) is a fallacy. (Bandwagon fallacy). However, popular opinion doesn't mean something is true or not. But, it might have alot to do with policy decisions such as how to spend taxes.

Quoting experts in fields (religious scholars, scientists, researchers, historians, doctors, etc.) is a fallacy. (Appeal to authority). A historian may absolutely be wrong, hence it is a logical fallacy. However, quoting a historian when in a debate about ancient greece commerce habits is almost certainly going to happen unless the person in the debate happens to be a historian researching ancient greece directly.

The reason logical fallacies are not always bad debate is that most debate and discussion doesn't revolve around absolute truth of the matter, as in most cases nobody in the discussion boards have access to the information that would determine that absolute truth directly. Hence, things that from a strict logical sense are fallacious, are not bad debate.

In that same sense, even a good debate on forums like this will rely on fallacies to build up a "more likely than not" scenario as opposed to "logically proven true" scenario.

Comment