Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Andrew Cuomo as Biden's Attorney General?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Cuomo as Biden's Attorney General?

Several sources are indicating that New York's governor Andrew Cuomo is on Biden's short list for being his Attorney General, a job who's duties include, as spelled out in the Judiciary Act of 1789, "giv[ing] his advice and opinion upon questions of law when required by the president of the United States, or when requested by the heads of any of the departments."

On Tuesday of this week Cuomo signed into law legislation that prohibits the sale of Confederate flags and other "hate symbols"[1] on public property, including at state and local fairs. While arguing whether or not this is a good thing is an entirely separate issue (and as the OP I ask that this thread not devolve into), Cuomo did so while openly acknowledging that his action is in violation of the Constitution's First Amendment.

In normal times such an action would be an immediate disqualifier for being selected as Attorney General. And given that Cuomo has apparently indicated that he really isn't interested in being AG, maybe this is his way of insuring he isn't picked. It would be one way to avoid a Senate confirmation hearing sure to raise numerous issues that Cuomo would prefer to keep out of the limelight and public scrutiny.

1. Keep in mind that we live in an era where simply giving the "OK" sign with your hand (touching the tips of your thumb and index finger together thus forming a circle with them), a gesture symbolizing that every thing is fine that stretches at least as far back as the early 17th century, is deemed as a symbol of white supremacy and a "hate symbol"
    Last edited by rogue06; 12-17-2020, 08:05 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

An act like this may actually fuel the revenge election for the midterms.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My wife is happy with the idea - cause then Cuomo's news conferences won't preempt her soaps.

I think it's no coincidence that he just got accused of sexual harassment in the past couple of days. I think parts of the Democratic party are trying to torpedo his nomination.

I think it would be good for NY since the current LT governor is an up-stater and seems harmless but bad for the nation.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I think it's no coincidence that he just got accused of sexual harassment in the past couple of days. I think parts of the Democratic party are trying to torpedo his nomination.
        He is dead meat, Biden won't put him up.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

He is dead meat, Biden won't put him up.
          Biden works in a way similar to how Obama worked. As crony establishment minions they pretty much thumb their noses at the populace groups, including the left, with their deeds and actions. Sort of like when Biden picked Yellen as a direct middle finger to Warren and her anti-bank agenda, or picked Neera Trandem as a middle finger to Bernie and the progressives. I don't think those were at all accidents. Not sure he'll pick Cuomo, but I can definitely see it as a middle finger to the "Me Too" leftist movement.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Biden works in a way similar to how Obama worked. As crony establishment minions they pretty much thumb their noses at the populace groups, including the left, with their deeds and actions. Sort of like when Biden picked Yellen as a direct middle finger to Warren and her anti-bank agenda, or picked Neera Trandem as a middle finger to Bernie and the progressives. I don't think those were at all accidents. Not sure he'll pick Cuomo, but I can definitely see it as a middle finger to the "Me Too" leftist movement.
            With Cuomo at least publicly indicated that he's not interested (unless it's all a ploy to make it looked like he was "drafted" and it's all for the good of the country), I doubt he'll get the nod even if he's good buddies with old Joe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              With Cuomo at least publicly indicated that he's not interested (unless it's all a ploy to make it looked like he was "drafted" and it's all for the good of the country), I doubt he'll get the nod even if he's good buddies with old Joe.
              Just saying, to help understand their thought process better, you can't think in terms of what's a best political strategy for them overall. You have to think in terms of an elitist in power with a very pernicious mind and a warped sense of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

That's Neera Tanden. Wow, I butchered the heck out of her name.

Comment