Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Git a Rope" is Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    That's not, like, a defense of the rest of the OP. Leaving nooses with warning signs is the meat of the debate and I've said my piece as it relates already. Simplico conflated your amusing opener with the meat of the thread is all.

I remember thinking that commercial was really funny as a kid, but I was 7 in 92, so like, what do I know? But looking back on it now I can see each piece and how it works together.
    The opening gave two examples, an innocuous example with humor, contrasted with a real life example in which someone found offense. The argument is that the noose is not offensive because it has other connotations. If one skims through the thread, anecdotes are given in which a potentially offensive remark is shown that it can be innocuous. So I asked what is seen to be offensive or racist. I should have asked what makes something racist.
    Two guys see a noose and it reminds them of lynch mobs. Therefore, the sky is falling.

"what else would our stupid culture think of?"

"classic example of too much "racism" on the mind"

"Everything is offensive to someone these days. America is now in the age of the crybaby."

"what do you expect in a culture that coddles those who are so determined to be offended? "

Is the meat of the thread the whether the noose in question was meant to be racist, or is the meat of the thread why some might see a remark, image, or meme is seen as offensive? (whether implicitly or overtly offensive) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Not going to throw ME under the bus this time, eh? I'm not feelin' the love.
      Your threads, while still complaining about modern society, consistently have an OP worth discussing which leads to interesting first page discussions often times.

Seers threads are, if we're lucky, 1-2 sentences from him, a link, and maybe a quote from the link with some sort of super sensationalized title and there are usually a bunch more simple "oh no, Jesus come soon" and "what are these libtards thinking" or whatever. As such, he'll have an easier time seeing examples on the first page of seers threads, rather than yours, even if the difference between your threads lay, many times, solely in the execution. His are terrible because he doesn't know how to argue, literally needed mods to intervene and suggest "hey, maybe have thread titles that make a lick of sense" and he is repetitive. You check out of a discussion way too easily and for reasons that aren't always apparent, but I'm not going to pretend that your OP's are like Seers.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        The opening gave two examples, an innocuous example with humor, contrasted with a real life example in which someone found offense. The argument is that the noose is not offensive because it has other connotations. If one skims through the thread, anecdotes are given in which a potentially offensive remark is shown that it can be innocuous. So I asked what is seen to be offensive or racist. I should have asked what makes something racist.
        Two guys see a noose and it reminds them of lynch mobs. Therefore, the sky is falling.

"what else would our stupid culture think of?"

"classic example of too much "racism" on the mind"

"Everything is offensive to someone these days. America is now in the age of the crybaby."

"what do you expect in a culture that coddles those who are so determined to be offended? "

Is the meat of the thread the whether the noose in question was meant to be racist, or is the meat of the thread why some might see a remark, image, or meme is seen as offensive? (whether implicitly or overtly offensive) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0
        I was under the impression that the meat of the thread was explaining to the white conservative posters why a bunch of nooses hung on a tree with a vague warning sign might freak out black people ;)

Comment

Your threads, while still complaining about modern society, consistently have an OP worth discussing which leads to interesting first page discussions often times.
          So like when you post it's 'discussing' and like when conservatives post it's 'complaining'. This thread actually asked a question, cause I was curious.

From the OP....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Does anybody here really think of "Git a Rope" implying the lynching of blacks?
          Inquiring minds gotta know!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            All of those quotations were histrionic reactions to a mundane event.
            No. Although calling them histrionic might be itself histrionic.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              It is you, and your ilk, who are so easily offended.
              I'm offended by injustice and a lack of basic empathy. You should be too.

Comment

I was under the impression that the meat of the thread was explaining to the white conservative posters why a bunch of nooses hung on a tree with a vague warning sign might freak out black people ;)
                There's nothing wrong with seeing a noose and thinking of frontier justice in the Wild West. There's nothing wrong with seeing a noose and thinking of lynch mobs. There is something wrong with insisting that one cultural reference, and hence that culture, is superior to other cultural references/cultures. When two people misunderstand each other's intentions, the goal should be to make peace, not war.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  No. Although calling them histrionic might be itself histrionic.
                  You really think some people not associating a noose with the Wild West is indicative of some wider social problem? Not to mention that those problems given in those examples are nonexistent, so this is doubly silly.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with seeing a noose and thinking of frontier justice in the Wild West. There's nothing wrong with seeing a noose and thinking of lynch mobs. There is something wrong with insisting that one cultural reference, and hence that culture, is superior to other cultural references/cultures. When two people misunderstand each other's intentions, the goal should be to make peace, not war.
                    Well, gee, maybe the 'observer' shouldn't just jump to the worst possible conclusion, and consider the possibility that the object isn't necessarily a symbol of hate --- you know, don't jump to freakin' conclusions, cause the goal should be to give the benefit of the doubt, not war.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You really think some people not associating a noose with the Wild West is indicative of some wider social problem?
                      What? No.
                      Not to mention that those problems given in those examples are nonexistent, so this is doubly silly.
                      Your opinion is duly noted.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Well, gee, maybe the 'observer' shouldn't just jump to the worst possible conclusion, and consider the possibility that the object isn't necessarily a symbol of hate --- you know, don't jump to freakin' conclusions, cause the goal should be to give the benefit of the doubt, not war.
                        You still don't understand. It's not "the worst possible conclusion". It's the default, reasonable conclusion. What do you expect, offended motorists to pull over and ring the property owner's bell to ask for an explanation?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          What? No.
                          They why don't you consider those quotations overreactions?

Comment

Is it commonly believed in your country that New Yorkers are predominantly black?
                            Sorry for the delay in response. I got myself locked out of tweb because of my fancy new password manager.

At any rate no, I'm just trying to reverse engineer how someone could find it racist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              Sorry for the delay in response. I got myself locked out of tweb because of my fancy new password manager.
                              Don't you love it when technology "helps" you?

At any rate no, I'm just trying to reverse engineer how someone could find it racist.
                              OK.... I was just wondering, cause for the longest time I thought of New Yorkers as being... well, I didn't make the distinction between NY City and the whole rest of the state. I have never been to NYC, and don't really care to, but I have been in NY State, and much of it is absolutely beautiful.

Comment

You still don't understand. It's not "the worst possible conclusion". It's the default, reasonable conclusion.
                                You still don't understand. That's idiotic. It may be the 'reasonable conclusion' to some people, and pinko commie liberals COULD help educate them, or they could try to keep them in fear.

What do you expect, offended motorists to pull over and ring the property owner's bell to ask for an explanation?
                                What a dope. No, I expect them to say, "hmm... that's odd" and keep on driving. The INTENT of the property owner was to keep thieves away. He obviously isn't chasing anybody down the highway waving a noose at them.

Comment