Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

According to Gingrich feelings trump facts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to Gingrich feelings trump facts.

This is just painful to watch.

he is right though. Just looking at all of the attacks and mass killings recently, it sure doesn't feel like crime is down. Police getting killed left and right, people being stabbed and shot by the dozens.

The media makes it feel like the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Is it? or is it just the way the media is reporting things?

I sure don't feel safer.

Comment

FWIW, perception is reality. The media didn't challenge the "hands up don't shoot" mantra relative to Michael Brown because it was all about feelings, not facts. Most of the time, they don't give a flyin' flip about facts.

Did you see CNN rushing to fact check Obama's "everything is beautiful" speech? It's all about feelings.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        FWIW, perception is reality. The media didn't challenge the "hands up don't shoot" mantra relative to Michael Brown because it was all about feelings, not facts. Most of the time, they don't give a flyin' flip about facts.

Did you see CNN rushing to fact check Obama's "everything is beautiful" speech? It's all about feelings.
        Who gives a flip about the unjustified violence against blacks during confrontations of no crime nor significant violation of law. Very weak and sometimes no accountability involving law enforcement officers involved.

Hands up!!! Bang!!!! Including cover up by commanding officer. If it was not filmed by an outsider, would the lies by the commanding officer be accounted. Recent filming by outsiders is bringing this to light has revealed this cover up by law enforcement officers. Before the advent of this outsider filming I wonder how many acts of violence were falsely reported by police officers?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Who gives a flip about the unjustified violence against blacks during confrontations of no crime nor significant violation of law. Very weak and sometimes no accountability involving law enforcement officers involved.
          (is that burning straw I smell?)

Calm yourself, Shuny --- you're going to have a stroke. I think most of us here, if not all of us, believe that police officers who abuse their office should be punished.

Hands up!!! Bang!!!!
          Ah, a pinko commie leftist liberal pushing the false mantra again.

Including cover up by commanding officer. If it was not filmed by an outsider, would the lies by the commanding officer be accounted. Recent filming by outsiders is bringing this to light has revealed this cover up by law enforcement officers. Before the advent of this outsider filming I wonder how many acts of violence were falsely reported by police officers?
          Let me say again, just for the record, police officers who abuse their power should be punished.

Feel better?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            he is right though. Just looking at all of the attacks and mass killings recently, it sure doesn't feel like crime is down. Police getting killed left and right, people being stabbed and shot by the dozens.
            Yeah, the media, like the video above. The reporter trying to explain the facts, crime is down, and the politician trying to convince people that facts don't matter and crime is worse.
            The media makes it feel like the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Is it? or is it just the way the media is reporting things?
            The media is much more prevalent today than in the past, we hear of every crime that occurs 15 times a day.
            I sure don't feel safer.
            Which is one of the reasons you don't feel safer. The other reason is that politicians like Newt Gingrich don't want you to feel safer.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Which is one of the reasons you don't feel safer. The other reason is that politicians like Newt Gingrich don't want you to feel safer.
              And the politicians on YOUR side want to ignore anything bad in the world and pretend life is all rosy.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say, that politicians would try to paint things the way they want people to see them.

Meanwhile, Hillary's 'Statecraft" has the Middle East in ruins.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I sure don't feel safer.
                Back in the 70s when the crime rate was higher the local news outlets around here would simply mention something like "three people were killed over the weekend in the metro area" after the second commercial break without providing a whole lot of detail. Now those deaths would each have its own coverage and be the three lead stories.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Back in the 70s when the crime rate was higher the local news outlets around here would simply mention something like "three people were killed over the weekend in the metro area" after the second commercial break without providing a whole lot of detail. Now those deaths would each have its own coverage and be the three lead stories.
                  Crime rates were higher in the 1970s, and racially motivated crime by law enforcement and racially biased enforcement was particularly high and documented in the major cities. I significant cause of high crime during this time is due to the baby boom population. This rate has dropped since in part because the number of males in the high crime age group has dropped over the years.

Comment

(is that burning straw I smell?)

Calm yourself, Shuny --- you're going to have a stroke. I think most of us here, if not all of us, believe that police officers who abuse their office should be punished.

Ah, a pinko commie leftist liberal pushing the false mantra again.

Let me say again, just for the record, police officers who abuse their power should be punished.

Feel better?
                    No because police who abuse their power are very rarely held accountable.

Comment

And the politicians on YOUR side want to ignore anything bad in the world and pretend life is all rosy.
                      No not at all, thats just your biased hyperbole. Hillary is very much aware of the state of the world, far more so than Trump, who seems to know nothing about foriegn affairs other than the terrorism going on which he uses as a tactic for stoking fear in the hopes of being elected by the naivete of the electorate.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say, that politicians would try to paint things the way they want people to see them.
                      Yes, I see you are shocked and wowed a lot CP. Its up to you to decide whether a polititian is lying for political purposes or telling the truth about things. Its obvious that Gingrich in the above video was lying about crime being worse.
                      Meanwhile, Hillary's 'Statecraft" has the Middle East in ruins.
                      The middle east has been a mess for a long time, mostly due to the religious factions, and the rule of the military dictators. It was the republican statecraft, the Bush, or should I say Cheney administration that made things even worse by invading a country on false premises and then leaving office just in time so that Obama, just like the economy, had to try and clean up their militaristic mess.
                      Last edited by JimL; 07-31-2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Crime rates were higher in the 1970s, and racially motivated crime by law enforcement and racially biased enforcement was particularly high and documented in the major cities. I significant cause of high crime during this time is due to the baby boom population. This rate has dropped since in part because the number of males in the high crime age group has dropped over the years.
                        While all of this may be true it doesn't address the fact that the news coverage of crime stories has changed radically over time. "If it bleeds, it leads" has gone from a slogan to a way of life.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No because police who abuse their power are very rarely held accountable.
                          What a typically bird-brained thing to say. I mean -- downright dumb. The cases that stand out make national news. If it bleeds it leads. The thousands of cases where officers are punished for abusive force don't get reported, because they're not news.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            No not at all, thats just your biased hyperbole. Hillary is very much aware of the state of the world, far more so than Trump, who seems to know nothing about foriegn affairs
                            As opposed to you, who can't even SPELL 'foreign' affairs?

other than the terrorism going on which he uses as a tactic for stoking fear in the hopes of being elected by the naivete of the electorate.
                            Gee, no bias HERE!

Yes, I see you are shocked and wowed a lot CP.
                            Evidently, you're too dumb to know sarcasm when you see it.

Its up to you to decide whether a polititian
                            'politician', not polititian

is lying for political purposes or telling the truth about things. Its obvious that Gingrich in the above video was lying about crime being worse.

The middle east has been a mess for a long time, mostly due to the religious factions, and the rule of the military dictators. It was the republican statecraft, the Bush, or should I say Cheney administration that made things even worse by invading a country on false premises and then leaving office just in time so that Obama, just like the economy, had to try and clean up their militaristic mess.
                            Ah, another brilliant "blame bush" argument! Is that all ya got? Meanwhile, Hillary remains a crook, getting millions of dollars from foreign interests, making millions from wall street whom she pretends to despise... she's a phony. BERNIE knew it, before he sold out, that is.

Comment

Source: http://wtvr.com/2016/02/29/the-30-murder-capitals-in-the-u-s/

Crime rates are decreasing across large cities in the United States, but murder rates are on the rise. Numerous sources, from city police departments to the Brennan Center for Justice, reported a drastic jump in murder rates in large cities across America from 2014 to 2015

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment