Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump advocating 'Torture' justifying Crimes against humanity. sound familiar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    But these jihadists are not signatories to the Geneva Convention Treaty. These are not State actors.
    This is not relevant to the Geneva Convention Treaty. The convention agreement is not contingent on the enemy being a party to the agreement.

Comment

But these jihadists are not signatories to the Geneva Convention Treaty. These are not State actors.
      So, interesting question -- is one nation, a signatory to the Geneva Convention, bound to the confines of that agreement when in war with a nation who is not a signatory?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        This is not relevant to the Geneva Convention Treaty. The convention agreement is not contingent on the enemy being a party to the agreement.
        Says who?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, interesting question -- is one nation, a signatory to the Geneva Convention, bound to the confines of that agreement when in war with a nation who is not a signatory?
          Why would they be? Why would a nation so tie its hands and put itself at a real disadvantage?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Whereas I have reason to question your knowledge of law, I checked for myself...

The Conventions apply to all cases of declared war between signatory nations. This is the original sense of applicability, which predates the 1949 version.
            The Conventions apply to all cases of armed conflict between two or more signatory nations, even in the absence of a declaration of war. This language was added in 1949 to accommodate situations that have all the characteristics of war without the existence of a formal declaration of war, such as a police action.
            The Conventions apply to a signatory nation even if the opposing nation is not a signatory, but only if the opposing nation "accepts and applies the provisions" of the Conventions.

So, no --- you're wrong again.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why would they be? Why would a nation so tie its hands and put itself at a real disadvantage?
              Well, unlike Shuny, before spewing forth ignorance, I wasn't sure, so I actually looked it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, no --- you're wrong again.
                I'm shocked! Again...

Well, unlike Shuny, before spewing forth ignorance, I wasn't sure, so I actually looked it up.
                Last edited by seer; 07-07-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• so you have no problem outright killing of terrorists along with "collateral" damage with no due process, but it is immoral to torture terrorists for information with no intention of killing them or causing any physical damage, or causing any collateral civilian damage?

I for one, would rather be "tortured" without damage, rather than get blown up by a drone, laying dead, or wounded physically and suffering a slow torturous death.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 07-07-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment