Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit Referendum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit Referendum

I've been reading on the news about how in the United Kingdom they are having a vote on Thursday to decide if they should stay in the EU. The Economist thinks it would harm the British economy because it would make it harder for businesses to sell goods throughout Europe. I've read a few other things saying it might mean the UK would have less regulation to worry about.
    Here's explanation of the vote from BBC. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887
    The USA Today has an article saying Britain leaving the EU is unlikely. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...gdom/86139128/
    What do you think?
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

I really don't know how it's going to go...but I hope they get out. I'm not impressed with the EU.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Comment

The important thing to understand is that all the people supporting the campaign to remain in the UK are all wealthy politicians, and special interest groups such as big businesses, corporations, and multi-millionaire celebrities. The claim that leaving the EU will hurt the British economy is provably false. The same scaremongering tactics were made about Britain not joining the Eurozone. The same scaremongering tactics were made about Norway not joining the EU. Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland are not part of the EU and are doing very well outside of it, in fact.
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

I remember some of that, yeah.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I said it once and I'll say it again, EU's a sinking titanic. Even if UK insanely votes to stay now, they won't be the last country to make this decision, and I'm guessing that this won't be the final vote they make on the matter. EU's just going to continue it's slow economic decline, followed by the effects -- more protests, more demonstrations, more populace movements, more anti-EU sentiment, more riots, more violence -- because nothing Draghi can do will save the economy. When the economy is sinking, the masses will stay discontent. All he can do is postpone the markets and the banks from suddenly going under (kind of like here in the states). Point is, this is just the beginning to a long brutal unwind of the EU project.

Comment

I went from being out, grudgingly, to being in, grudgingly.

Other countries such as Norway are technically out of the EU, but to gain access to the single market they still pay in and they still accept free movement of people.

Brexiters want to leave the EU to reduce immigration, however out of the 300,000 net migration to the UK last year, over half of that was from outside the EU- from countries we supposedly do have the ability to control migration from, yet the government chooses not to. So I see this claim as a farce.

The EU needs a huge overhaul, but it seems steadfastly unwilling to do so, as Cameron's paltry negotiations proved earlier this year.

Comment

The BBC reported this today:
                CljyYRdWEAAG4yP.jpg
                My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

I do find it mildly interesting how even pro-EU campaigners are unimpressed with the negotiations (you haven't seen them featured much in the remain campaign as they aren't much to brag about), yet those in the EU itself seem to think the result were above and beyond what we could have realisiticaly hoped for.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons we don't really see things the same way as the EU. The huge difference between our view of the negotiations and theirs.

Also something which I was always puzzled about- that remain keep on speaking about remaining in a recorded EU, yet it isnt reformed and meaningful reform isn't even on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                    Brexiters want to leave the EU to reduce immigration, however out of the 300,000 net migration to the UK last year, over half of that was from outside the EU- from countries we supposedly do have the ability to control migration from, yet the government chooses not to. So I see this claim as a farce.
                    It will still reduce right?? I don't see the problem.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

The point I was making is that I don't believe they want it to. 175,000 net immigration from outside the EU which could be reduced, hasn't been. It's been steadily increasing.

Whilst it's true that we have no real way to cap immigration from inside the EU, the clear fact that the government has made no effort to cut what we can control leads me to believe that they aren't serious about it.

Comment

Also, if the country does choose to leave, then there's still the fact that the vast majority of parliament are actually pro-EU, meaning that they can push for a Norway type deal, meaning we keep access to the open market, still pay in and still accept free movement of people. Just because the public votes out doesn't mean it'll actually happen.

Also the EU has to treat us severely if we choose to leave, to stop other countries choosing to do the same thing. Contagion, they call it.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                          The point I was making is that I don't believe they want it to.
                          Well politicians only really want popularity and votes. What's new? I agree it no solve immigration problem.

Also, if the country does choose to leave, then there's still the fact that the vast majority of parliament are actually pro-EU, meaning that they can push for a Norway type deal, meaning we keep access to the open market, still pay in and still accept free movement of people. Just because the public votes out doesn't mean it'll actually happen.

Also the EU has to treat us severely if we choose to leave, to stop other countries choosing to do the same thing. Contagion, they call it.
                          ???

Why worry? EU must punish so can't allow Norway deal else other countries Brexits too and make better popular Norway deal.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                            What do you think?
                            In, because of increasing globalisation. But I don't really understand the impact, so I'm convinceable either way (but not in time to affect my vote!)
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

This sounds familiar. . .

Comment