Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberals love science - until it proves them wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who actually care a good deal about children:

The essential rectitude of our view of children lies in the fact that we feel them and their ways to be supernatural while, for some mysterious reason, we do not feel ourselves or our own ways to be supernatural. The very smallness of children makes it possible to regard them as marvels; we seem to be dealing with a new race, only to be seen through a microscope. I doubt if anyone of any tenderness or imagination can see the hand of a child and not be a little frightened of it. It is awful to think of the essential human energy moving so tiny a thing; it is like imagining that human nature could live in the wing of a butterfly or the leaf of a tree. When we look upon lives so human and yet so small, we feel as if we ourselves were enlarged to an embarrassing bigness of stature. We feel the same kind of obligation to these creatures that a deity might feel if he had created something that he could not understand.

But the humorous look of children is perhaps the most endearing of all the bonds that hold the Cosmos together. Their top-heavy dignity is more touching than any humility; their solemnity gives us more hope for all things than a thousand carnivals of optimism; their large and lustrous eyes seem to hold all the stars in their astonishment; their fascinating absence of nose seems to give to us the most perfect hint of the humour that awaits us in the kingdom of heaven.
    http://www.online-literature.com/che...-defendant/14/
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      And you miss my motivations. Denying groups of people, their basic human rights, is wrong and flat out evil. It doesn't matter if it's Nazi's denying Jews their right to live, if it's slave owners denying their slaves liberty, or any group denying anybody their basic human rights. This is where my motivation sits, not upon insulting or offending you, but upon making sure groups of people, being denied their basic human rights, are not denied those rights. I don't care if I offend people or not, being offended isn't a right, having the right to live is a right.
      Then why on earth would I get into a debate with you, when you make it so clear over the years you don't respect me, and will resort to insults? Is there a lack of pro-choice people for you to debate or something? I think the forums have had their fill of our flame-wars, Crystal. It's really childish and we should both grow-up.

Comment

So your right to life, can be denied to you, on a whim. Thanks PM for justify wholesale slaughter. Tyrants around the world, applaud your efforts to support them.
        It can rightly (in my opinion) be denied to me if I directly and immediately threaten the life of another, if my right to life is in contest with another's right to bodily integrity, or if I request it. Conservatives commonly wish to deny the right to life to those convicted of certain crimes, those who trespass or may directly and immediately threaten the life of another, those who happen to be in the same area as a military target, and anyone who cannot afford healthcare bills. If you want to point a finger at people who treat the right to life poorly, you only have your own side to look to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          It can rightly (in my opinion) be denied to me if I directly and immediately threaten the life of another, if my right to life is in contest with another's right to bodily integrity, or if I request it. Conservatives commonly wish to deny the right to life to those convicted of certain crimes, those who trespass or may directly and immediately threaten the life of another, those who happen to be in the same area as a military target, and anyone who cannot afford healthcare bills. If you want to point a finger at people who treat the right to life poorly, you only have your own side to look to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            Then why on earth would I get into a debate with you, when you make it so clear over the years you don't respect me, and will resort to insults? Is there a lack of pro-choice people for you to debate or something? I think the forums have had their fill of our flame-wars, Crystal. It's really childish and we should both grow-up.
            And you should get yourself a sense of humor and stop taking yourself so seriously. You must not like a good roast, but that is the truth James. I don't care if I offend you or not. I care about the millions of lives being extinguished every year due to people who allow evil to thrive either though acceptance or taking part in the evil themselves.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yep because we all know breaking into somebodies house and being a possible threat to them is the exact same thing as murdering innocent children. Although it is quite cute to watch you pretend as though you have magical mind reading powers and automatically know what 'my side' is and what 'my side' thinks. I'm sorry PM, but I'm not a Republican either. As far as I'm concerned, Republicans are about as bad as Democrats and are pretty much one in the same that support their own evils or ignore other evils going on. If you want to accuse me, by proxy, though of sins I don't support, so you can avoid dealing with the fact you're supporting the wholesale killing of children, upon the alter of convenience, go for it.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And you should get yourself a sense of humor and stop taking yourself so seriously. You must not like a good roast, but that is the truth James. I don't care if I offend you or not. I care about the millions of lives being extinguished every year due to people who allow evil to thrive either though acceptance or taking part in the evil themselves.
                My sense of humor would make your hair curl, so give that whole thing a rest. You're not really worth the effort due to your lacking the ability to control your emotions in a conversation.

Comment

• Comment

My sense of humor would make your hair curl, so give that whole thing a rest. You're not really worth the effort due to your lacking the ability to control your emotions in a conversation.
                    Lol, I've worked maintenance, for 12 years, in the military. I doubt you could say anything that I haven't heard a thousand times before (and maybe even far worse). If you want to pretend that I'm some sort of goody two shoes though, go for it. It has nothing to do with 'lack of control' because you should be upset over people doing terrible things to others. Again, I don't care about offending you, I care about the millions of children being killed upon the alter of convenience.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yep because we all know breaking into somebodies house and being a possible threat to them is the exact same thing as murdering innocent children. Although it is quite cute to watch you pretend as though you have magical mind reading powers and automatically know what 'my side' is and what 'my side' thinks. I'm sorry PM, but I'm not a Republican either. As far as I'm concerned, Republicans are about as bad as Democrats and are pretty much one in the same that support their own evils or ignore other evils going on. If you want to accuse me, by proxy, though of sins I don't support, so you can avoid dealing with the fact you're supporting the wholesale killing of children, upon the alter of convenience, go for it.
                      Your side in the abortion debate is the pro-life side, and statistically they are conservatives who believe in the death penalty, castle doctrine and stand your ground laws, militarized police, drone strikes, and private healthcare. Thus, it makes no sense to chastise the pro-choice side about having a loose interpretation of the right to life.

Comment

Lol, I've worked maintenance, for 12 years, in the military. I doubt you could say anything that I haven't heard a thousand times before (and maybe even far worse). If you want to pretend that I'm some sort of goody two shoes though, go for it. It has nothing to do with 'lack of control' because you should be upset over people doing terrible things to others. Again, I don't care about offending you, I care about the millions of children being killed upon the alter of convenience.
                        What makes you think you're just entitled to talk to me anyway you want to? If I give civility then I expect the etiquette to be returned. Teal was at least very respectful to me in our conversations, why can't you be?
                        Last edited by Sea of red; 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

What makes you think you're just entitled to talk to me anyway you want to? If I give civility then I expect the etiquette to be returned. Teal was at least very respectful to me in our conversations, why can't you be?
                          And yet, I haven't insulted you once, in this entire conversation or thread. Interesting...
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And yet, I haven't insulted you once, in this entire conversation or thread. Interesting...
                            But you've made clear to me that you will once we start.

Comment

Your side in the abortion debate is the pro-life side, and statistically they are conservatives who believe in the death penalty, castle doctrine and stand your ground laws, militarized police, drone strikes, and private healthcare. Thus, it makes no sense to chastise the pro-choice side about having a loose interpretation of the right to life.

And you have proof that I believe all this stuff because you have magical mind reading powers or you're just trying to avoid dealing with the fact you're just as bad as you accuse them of, so you're using deflection to avoid dealing with your own support of immoral positions? There's a name for that fallacy, what is the name of that fallacy?

Besides, even you should realize that there's a difference between protecting yourself from a violent criminal and killing an innocent child.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

But you've made clear to me that you will once we start.
                                No, you just assumed it.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment