Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Bible as a Textbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bible as a Textbook

If we used the Bible as a textbook for all subjects (theology, math, science, literature) then we wouldn't need all of these other textbooks.
    The public school system would save tons of money and it would be good for the environment.
    The Gideons would hand them out for free - or the public school students could steal them from Motel 6 while they're celebrating Home Coming.

But no, the textbook lobbyists won't allow that, will they?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    If we used the Bible as a textbook for all subjects (theology, math, science, literature) then we wouldn't need all of these other textbooks.
    The public school system would save tons of money and it would be good for the environment.
    The Gideons would hand them out for free - or the public school students could steal them from Motel 6 while they're celebrating Home Coming.

Would we be worse off if we did? Would we have the degree of sexual promiscuity, STDs and abortions we do today? Would we have gay marriage and Christians being sued for not making a cake for a homosexual marriage? Would we have such wide spread moral relativism and unbelief? Would we have political correctness and college snowflakes that can not even hear an opposing opinion?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well ah . . . we would open up the ancient monasteries, and give all the students quills, linen and oil lamps and then have the spend their years in school copying the text in Latin and Greek.

We would save a lot of money on medical an all the other technologies, and life expectancy would drop significantly. Child labor would be the norm. Homosexuality and pedophilia would persist in the guise of the monastic lifestyle. One thing would not change the fallible human nature.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-09-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Well ah . . . we would open up the ancient monasteries, and give all the students quills, linen and oil lamps and then have the spend their years in school copying the text in Latin and Greek.
        How many kids graduate High School these days with the ability to write much less a thorough understanding of Greek and Latin?
        I'll have to put you in the affirmative column.

We would save a lot of money on medical an all the other technologies, and life expectancy would drop significantly. Child labor would be the norm.
        Monetary savings I hadn't considered.

We so rarely agree on things.
        I have to say it is refreshing.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

How many kids graduate High School these days with the ability to write much less a thorough understanding of Greek and Latin?
          I'll have to put you in the affirmative column.
          With these methods the only languages they would know would be Greek and Latin.

Not in the affirmative column like Seer. I am just describing the consequences of such actions. John Martin would love this system of education.

Monetary savings I hadn't considered.
          The savings on electricity would be huge.

We so rarely agree on things.
          I have to say it is refreshing.
          Well . . . no fresh air allowed. It would ecourage the evil fumes rom the outside the walls.

Comment

We still use scripture in my homeschool group. But to be honest, If all you used was the Bible you'd miss out on a lot. Scripture sure has its place as a learning tool though. Especially in the history of Israel....Its very useful.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Or you could steal them from the Methodists, and see how long before they notice.

Comment

We can make the choice to use the Bible now or have the Koran forced on us later.
                Our current trajectory leaves us with limited options.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  Or you could steal them from the Methodists, and see how long before they notice.
                  I think that is where the Gideons get all of their Bibles.

Comment

The nice thing about Genesis is that you get Science and History all in one little package.
                    Stephen Hawking wishes he could be that concise.

Comment

This thread is so humorous I want to "Amen" every post!
                      Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

We can ... have the Koran forced on us later.
                        Which version?

Comment

You can do what we do and homeschool the adorable munchkins your attempting to raise. Then only you have the say so over what they do and don't learn
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

With these methods the only languages they would know would be Greek and Latin.
                            The Copts would like to have a word with you. The Syrians would too, but they're busy trying to stay alive at the moment.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Would we be worse off if we did? Would we have the degree of sexual promiscuity, STDs and abortions we do today? Would we have gay marriage and Christians being sued for not making a cake for a homosexual marriage? Would we have such wide spread moral relativism and unbelief? Would we have political correctness and college snowflakes that can not even hear an opposing opinion?
                              You mean ignorance is bliss? Happily, your moans about the effects are a small price to pay for scientific progress, enlightenment and the outing of religious nonsense.

Comment