Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The republican establishment and Trumps stance on abortion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The republican establishment and Trumps stance on abortion.

Why are republicans all up in arms about Trumps comments on abortion and that women having them should be criminally charged. If republicans honestly believe that abortion is murder, then why the uproar over Trumps comments? What do you conservatives actually think? Should women and their doctors be charged with murder in abortion cases, or not? Trump was asked what the punishment should be and couldn't give an answer, then walked it back saying that only the doctor should be charged? What do you think, and which republican canidates position do you support in this regard?

http://www.aul.org/2010/04/why-the-s...re-roe-v-wade/

There is a long record of states treating women as the second victim of abortion in the law that can be found and read. To state the policy in legal terms, the states prosecuted the principal (the abortionist) and did not prosecute someone who might be considered an accomplice (the woman) in order to more effectively enforce the law against the principal. And that will most certainly be the state policy if the abortion issue is returned to the states.

Why did the states target abortionists and treat women as a victim of the abortionist?

It was based on three policy judgments: the point of abortion law is effective enforcement against abortionists, the woman is the second victim of the abortionist, and prosecuting women is counterproductive to the goal of effective enforcement of the law against abortionists.

The irony is that, instead of states prosecuting women, the exact opposite is true. To protect their own hide, it was abortionists (like the cult hero and abortionist Ruth Barnett when Oregon last prosecuted her in 1968), who, when they were prosecuted, sought to haul the women they aborted into court. As a matter of criminal evidentiary law, if the court treated the woman as an accomplice, she could not testify against the abortionist, and the case against the abortionist would be thrown out.
    If this link is not sufficient to demonstrate that wanting abortion to be illegal does NOT necessitate wanting legal punishments for women who abort, we might consider Sweden's approach to dealing with prostitution-- not by prosecuting the prostitutes, who are assumed to be in some sense victims and offered job training, etc-- but by prosecuting brothel operators and their clients.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

If Abortion were illegal, and a woman were to actively seek out and obtain one, then I don't see the issue with legal punishment. However, if it can be proven they were coerced or forced by someone, (i.e. husband, boyfriend pimp, etc.) then that person would be the one charged. I don't have a problem with it TBH, and I'm not a Trump supporter.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

In days of yore when abortions were illegal, I recall it as involving punishment only of the abortion mill.
        Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
          In days of yore when abortions were illegal, I recall it as involving punishment only of the abortion mill.
          But why should that be, if a person is complicit in murder, and murder is illegal, why shouldn't they be charged?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            But why should that be, if a person is complicit in murder, and murder is illegal, why shouldn't they be charged?
            From the quote in my post above:"the point of abortion law is effective enforcement against abortionists, the woman is the second victim of the abortionist, and prosecuting women is counterproductive to the goal of effective enforcement of the law against abortionists."

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              From the quote in my post above:"the point of abortion law is effective enforcement against abortionists, the woman is the second victim of the abortionist, and prosecuting women is counterproductive to the goal of effective enforcement of the law against abortionists."
              If it is indeed murder then the woman is not in fact a victim, she is complicit in the murder. I think that history has also shown that making it illegal only in the case of the abortionist is not effective enforcement.

Comment

If it is indeed murder then the woman is not in fact a victim, she is complicit in the murder. I think that history has also shown that making it illegal only in the case of the abortionist is not effective enforcement.
                This is the second time you've made it clear that you have not read my first post here or the article to which I linked.

Comment

This is the second time you've made it clear that you have not read my first post here or the article to which I linked.
                  The link doesn't matter because it is false, the law is against abortion, aka murder according to anti-abortionist, and the woman is not a victim, she is complicit in that act no matter how states may try to parse the language. Explain to me how the woman is a victim and not an accomplice in the act and I'll concede your point. Also, your alternative, as history has shown, is not effective enforcement.
                  Last edited by JimL; 04-03-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

The link doesn't matter because it is false, the law is against abortion, aka murder according to anti-abortionist, and the woman is not a victim, she is complicit in that act no matter how states may try to parse the language. Explain to me how the woman is a victim and not an accomplice in the act and I'll concede your point.
                    There were 3 points of logic, each of which is potentially persuasive. One is that the primary goal of those who made and those who enforced the policy was to prosecute the abortionists themselves. Another is that, if you prosecute women as accomplices, they cannot, under the 5th Amendment, be used as witnesses in prosecuting the abortionist: it would be self-incrimination. Finally, the women seeking abortions were regarded as being in difficult or desperate situations, which the abortionists were exploiting for profit. Perhaps that they should be regarded as second victims evades your understanding, but for a number of the states documented in the link (which is not ot say all of them), it seems to have been common sense.

Also, your alternative, as history has shown, is not effective enforcement.
                    You have asserted this, but could you explain in more detail? What history are you referencing? That abortion happened while it was illegal does not mean that the enforcement was ineffective: that the law is broken does not necessarily mean it is being enforced badly, unless you can demonstrate that another form of enforcement would be more effective and not simply more convenient for your arguments against pro-lifers.

Comment

Why are republicans all up in arms about Trumps comments on abortion and that women having them should be criminally charged.
                      TBH, I agree with Trump.

If republicans honestly believe that abortion is murder, then why the uproar over Trumps comments?
                      Political expediency

What do you conservatives actually think? Should women and their doctors be charged with murder in abortion cases, or not?
                      Yes. If a woman can be charged with murdering her 1 hour old child, then she should be charged with the same crime against that self-contained member of our species 3 months earlier.

Trump was asked what the punishment should be and couldn't give an answer, then walked it back saying that only the doctor should be charged? What do you think, and which republican canidates position do you support in this regard?
                      No idea. I don't think many agree because their political career would be over. And it's a damned shame that is the case on both fronts.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why are republicans all up in arms about Trumps comments on abortion and that women having them should be criminally charged.
                        Are Republicans up in arms about it? I've seen a mostly positive response to Trump's comments.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There were 3 points of logic, each of which is potentially persuasive. One is that the primary goal of those who made and those who enforced the policy was to prosecute the abortionists themselves.
                          That may be true, but the primary goal of those who made and those who enforce the law against murder was to prosecute those involved in the murder. It isn't as though the one law negates the validity of the other.

Another is that, if you prosecute women as accomplices, they cannot, under the 5th Amendment, be used as witnesses in prosecuting the abortionist: it would be self-incrimination. Finally, the women seeking abortions were regarded as being in difficult or desperate situations, which the abortionists were exploiting for profit. Perhaps that they should be regarded as second victims evades your understanding, but for a number of the states documented in the link (which is not ot say all of them), it seems to have been common sense.
                          I see, so a woman involved in a murder can avoid prosecution because she has a constitutional right? Thats nonsense. And please stop calling woman getting abortions as victims, they are fully engaged in the process.
                          Last edited by JimL; 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Are Republicans up in arms about it? I've seen a mostly positive response to Trump's comments.
                            Your republican polititions and canidates for president are, which is what I referenced in the last sentence. Ask any one of them if they agree with Trump and they will either lie or tell the truth, but in either case their answer will be no, they do not agree that a woman should be criminally charged for having an abortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              TBH, I agree with Trump.

Political expediency

Yes. If a woman can be charged with murdering her 1 hour old child, then she should be charged with the same crime against that self-contained member of our species 3 months earlier.

No idea. I don't think many agree because their political career would be over. And it's a damned shame that is the case on both fronts.
                              Good for you, a principled answer. Now, what do you think the punishment should be for a woman who knowingly violates this law and has her baby murdered?

Comment