Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Carolina Bathroom Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    What is common sense about banning unisex bathrooms? Am I really the only one who finds that weird?

They're essentially saying that bathrooms must be gendered. Then they use chromosomes as the defining character of sex, (because intersexed people don't exist).

All to prevent a non-existent problem?
    AFAIK, multiple occupant, unisex restrooms are exceeding rare to non-existent here in the U.S. So yes, we would consider it weird here...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I still don't get the whole banning of unisex bathrooms. Doesn't that sound a tad bit restrictive to you?
      I didnt see anything about banning unisex bathrooms. In fact if the bathrooms were not unisex then the whole bill doesn't make sense.

edit: just read your other post. To me unisex bathroom would be a one gender per bathroom term (uni-sex one sex) but I do see that you are thinking one bathroom any sex. They are not banning those types of bathrooms because they don't exist other than as single person bathrooms like you would find in your house, and those are not affected by the bill, they would still be single person any sex bathrooms. There are no multi-sex multi-user bathrooms around that I know of. All public multi-user bathrooms in the USA are single gender.
      Last edited by Sparko; 03-28-2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I still don't get the whole banning of unisex bathrooms. Doesn't that sound a tad bit restrictive to you?
        I still have no idea how banning unisex bathrooms (multiple occupancy ones that is) can in any way be seen as too restrictive. Can you explain a bit more?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I still have no idea how banning unisex bathrooms (multiple occupancy ones that is) can in any way be seen as too restrictive. Can you explain a bit more?
          Family restrooms where a son could assist an older handicapped mom or singledad can comfortably take potty training daughter. Family restrooms. They are unisex.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Family restrooms where a son could assist an older handicapped mom or singledad can comfortably take potty training daughter. Family restrooms. They are unisex.
            And are just that, family restrooms, not open anyone at any time. Thus not the multiple occupancy I was referring to.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What is common sense about banning unisex bathrooms? Am I really the only one who finds that weird?

They're essentially saying that bathrooms must be gendered. Then they use chromosomes as the defining character of sex, (because intersexed people don't exist).

All to prevent a non-existent problem?
              The reason the problem didn't exist was because, prior to a few months ago in Charlotte, it was a misdemeanor to be in the opposite sex's restroom or locker room while others of the proper sex were in there. Charlotte passed an ordinance removing the legal restriction. And I am wholeheartedly for the law. The "right to comfort" of a few individuals does not trump the right to privacy of the masses. And it also disgusts me that the very few advocates for overturning the law are hijacking the discussion and making their "right to comfort" the more important issue.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Comment

The only part of this that actually bother's me, is that as a pregnant woman who can't ahem hold it, if the women's restroom at a stop is full and the mens is empty, I'm going to use the men's... I don't care at that point....
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The only part of this that actually bother's me, is that as a pregnant woman who can't ahem hold it, if the women's restroom at a stop is full and the mens is empty, I'm going to use the men's... I don't care at that point....

Reminds me of the time my mom went in a men's bathroom, and came out without knowing until someone told her when she came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Reminds me of the time my mom went in a men's bathroom, and came out without knowing until someone told her when she came out.
                      What did she think the urinals were for?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've seen that happen at various sporting events and concerts when there is a long line outside the women's room and a steady flow (no pun intended) of traffic at the men's. Women who couldn't wait any longer would go into the men's room. I don't remember anyone raising a ruckus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          What did she think the urinals were for?
                          Apparently she didn't even notice them!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I've seen that happen at various sporting events and concerts when there is a long line outside the women's room and a steady flow (no pun intended) of traffic at the men's. Women who couldn't wait any longer would go into the men's room. I don't remember anyone raising a ruckus.
                            It strikes me as more of an armchair sensibility than an in practice issue, and definitely more aimed at men being in the women's restroom than vice versa.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              The reason the problem didn't exist was because, prior to a few months ago in Charlotte, it was a misdemeanor to be in the opposite sex's restroom or locker room while others of the proper sex were in there. Charlotte passed an ordinance removing the legal restriction. And I am wholeheartedly for the law. The "right to comfort" of a few individuals does not trump the right to privacy of the masses. And it also disgusts me that the very few advocates for overturning the law are hijacking the discussion and making their "right to comfort" the more important issue.
                              There is no such thing as a right to privacy.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So this one from WRAL a major news source in Raleigh, NC. Apparently the Governer from New York has banned all state funded travel because of the bathroom bill which I find to be ridiculous and entirely reactionary. Although I promise you, no one wants Yankees in NC, except for tourism We like tourism. http://www.wral.com/new-york-bans-no...lina/15605692/
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment