Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gitmo = Recruitment Tool --- True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gitmo = Recruitment Tool --- True?

We keep hearing that one of the reasons (if not the main reason) that Gitmo must close is that it's a recruitment tool for ISIS.

What's the proof of this?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Once again, militants use Guantanamo-inspired orange suit in an execution

Comment

I get it, if it wasn't for Gitmo, they wouldn't execute these men.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Tons of Americans think gitmo is a national disgrace. Imagine how much more Muslims hate it? Not to mention the ones from regions where prisoners have been taken.

You ever watch Taxicab to the Dark Side?

Comment

What I asked for was proof.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
            Tons of Americans think gitmo is a national disgrace. Imagine how much more Muslims hate it? Not to mention the ones from regions where prisoners have been taken.

You ever watch Taxicab to the Dark Side?
            And, again, I asked for proof, non conjecture.

Comment

I don't have any proof but it doesn't take much insight to see how this plays into the hands of ISIS. Islam is about martyrdom, and when they see (and hear) what goes on in Gitmo it furthers that complex of America being oppressive towards Muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                I don't have any proof but it doesn't take much insight to see how this plays into the hands of ISIS. Islam is about martyrdom, and when they see (and hear) what goes on in Gitmo it furthers that complex of America being oppressive towards Muslims.
                So, more supposition. No Jihadist websites, videos, posters, tweets..... Just people with a bias against Gitmo declaring it's a recruitment tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  So, more supposition. No Jihadist websites, videos, posters, tweets..... Just people with a bias against Gitmo declaring it's a recruitment tool.
                  You think I'm going to go to a Jihadist website? Sorry, I don't want to be on some NSA watch list or something.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...orists/274956/
                  Guantanamo Bay has often been the focus of jihadist media and propaganda. Just recently, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan--the mouthpiece of the Taliban-- put out a statement calling attention to the ongoing hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay. The brief message claims that the hunger strike at the prison has been going on for forty days (as of March 24) and calls for international rights organizations to "spread awareness about the plight of the destitute inmates." Guantanamo Bay has become a salient issue used in jihadist propaganda.

In 2010, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released the first issue of Inspire , their English language recruitment magazine. To date, AQAP has released 10 issues of Inspire, and the plight of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay has been featured prominently in several issues.

In the 2010 inaugural issue of Inspire, an essay by Osama bin Laden mentions "the crimes at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo . . . which shook the conscience of humanity." Tellingly, bin Laden points out that "there has been no mentionable change" at Guantanamo and the prison is noted again later in the issue.

Gitmo features even more prominently in Issue 2 of Inspire. The essays of Abu Sufyan al-Azdi and Uthman al-Gamidi, two former detainees who returned to AQAP upon their release, call new individuals to join the jihad, whether at home or abroad. In Issue 7, Yahya Ibrahim notes that Guantanamo Bay "exposed the West for what it really is" and "showed the world the American understanding of human rights."

Most troubling, in the latest issue of Inspire released early this month, AQAP mentions Guantanamo Bay several times. In a prelude to the attention that the hunger strikers have been paid lately, Abu Musab al-Suri notes that Guantanamo is not only "filled with . . . mujahedeen" but also with "hundreds of innocent civilians." While it is quite rich to hear AQAP's concern for the plight of innocent civilians, given the high number of Yemenis cleared for release still at Guantanamo, this is a very salient message for AQAP's base in Yemen.

Comment

You think I'm going to go to a Jihadist website? Sorry, I don't want to be on some NSA watch list or something.
                    You can be so goofy.

OK, thanks - that's more like what I was asking.

Comment

You can be so goofy.
                      Jihadists websites? Yeah, think I'll stay away - I wouldn't know where to look. I'm damn sure not going to enable them with a second of my viewing, or put myself in a position of needing to explain why I'm watching Islamic propaganda.

Comment

Jihadists websites? Yeah, think I'll stay away - I wouldn't know where to look. I'm damn sure not going to enable them with a second of my viewing, or put myself in a position of needing to explain why I'm watching Islamic propaganda.
                        Yup, goofy.

Comment

We keep hearing that one of the reasons (if not the main reason) that Gitmo must close is that it's a recruitment tool for ISIS.

What's the proof of this?
                          Are you assuming this under the scenario of innocents being kept there or actual suspects that have engaged in actual terrorist activity?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Are you assuming this under the scenario of innocents being kept there or actual suspects that have engaged in actual terrorist activity?
                            Assuming what?

Comment

Assuming what?
                              Are you asking the question assuming that all prisoners are guilty of terrorist activity, which is the fantasy scenario, or are you asking the question assuming that there are many prisoners being held there that are innocent. For me to answer the question of the OP, I need to know because the answer can vary depending on guilt or innocence.

Comment