Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians working on Sundays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    People under the old covenant were not permitted to work on Saturday.
    Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:9-11
    -- And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
    And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days. Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other. Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him. Matthew 12:10-14

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
      Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:9-11
      -- And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
      And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days. Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other. Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him. Matthew 12:10-14
      ". . . Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. . . ." -- John 5:18.

". . . One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. . . ." -- Romans 14:5-6.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The seventh day of the week is a Saturday. Anyway, are you claiming that we should or should not have to keep the Sabbath? Because we do not know you, so there is a possibility you may be talking past us and missing some points.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The seventh day of the week is a Saturday. Anyway, are you claiming that we should or should not have to keep the Sabbath? Because we do not know you, so there is a possibility you may be talking past us and missing some points.
          What day of the week that the Sabbath is on is debatable... which could be argued until Jesus comes back. So we could also argue what Jesus wrote on the ground when they brought Him the woman caught in adultery. At some point, when a debate turns into an argument and becomes unprofitable, it is time to move on... to move forward in your walk with Christ. Keeping the Sabbath was a Mosaic Law; and if you do not keep the WHOLE law and fail in one point... then you are guilty of all. So we cannot berate somebody for not keeping the Sabbath or a law that is an Old Testament Mosaic Law. Jesus did away with that because we now have a better covenant. However, in the New Testament we are admonished to "not forsake the assembling of ourselves". That means that Jesus wants us to get ourselves to Church to get The Word in us and fellowship with other believers. But if we miss a Sunday, or Saturday, or whatever day you choose to gather and worship on, you won't be put to death as required by Mosaic Law. This is why I am trying to show that it is not a big deal which day you consider the Sabbath to be.... because no one here has ever perfectly kept that command... and according to Jesus if you keep the whole law and offend in one point... you are guilty of all.
          So if one crowd here vehemently says that the Sabbath is on a Saturday, and we find out when we go to heaven that it was Sunday, then those people are guilty of breaking the Sabbath. Conversely, if the other crowd vehemently says the Sabbath is on Sunday, and it is later found to be Saturday, then they are guilty of breaking the Sabbath. Romans 2:12 states -- For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
          So... if anyone here wants to place themselves in the law then they better be prepared to be judged by the law.
          Last edited by Mr.Kott; 01-17-2016, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Yep! You are preachin' to the choir, kid! I don't think any of us claimed we HAD to keep the Sabbath.

Comment

Yep! You are preachin' to the choir, kid! I don't think any of us claimed we HAD to keep the Sabbath.
              Oh but you are... because you are vehemently claiming that the Sabbath is on a Saturday [or vica versa]
              ... Thereby condemning those who worship on Sundays. When nobody really even knows what day it is on.

Comment

Oh but you are... because you are vehemently claiming that the Sabbath is on a Saturday [or vica versa]
                ... Thereby condemning those who worship on Sundays. When nobody really even knows what day it is on.
                Nope! I'm just pointing out that the people under the OLD COVENANT(ya know, the one in the OLD TESTAMENT, not the NEW COVENANT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT?) rested on Saturday. We Christians worship on Sunday because Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday. And the Sabbath regulation isn't repeated in the New Testament!

Comment

Why don't you go ahead and apologize to CB now for misunderstanding. It will give you some much needed cred.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nope! I'm just pointing out that the people under the OLD COVENANT(ya know, the one in the OLD TESTAMENT, not the NEW COVENANT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT?) rested on Saturday. We Christians worship on Sunday because Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday. And the Sabbath regulation isn't repeated in the New Testament!
                    And my point was to show that nobody knows exactly what day the Sabbath is, New Testament or Old Testament. Therefore.... to say that the Sabbath is on a certain day [vehemently--as if you don't worship on this certain day you are committing a sin] is to be Pharisaical in the keeping of the letter of the law. So when somebody staunchly says that the sabbath is on a certain day and they judge you for worshiping on Sunday instead of Saturday, they are placing themselves under the letter of the law: thus making themselves hypocrites because nobody can keep the letter of the law without offending in at least one point; thus making them guilty of all. So working on a Sunday [Jesus healed on a Sunday/Sabbath] is going to be a personal choice in my opinion.
                    I know in Zeeland, Michigan there were at that time NO businesses allowed open on Sunday. In fact a guy I know who lived there saw his neighbor mowing on Sunday and the police officer stopped by and told him to stop. Yet the police officer was working...? When I went into the medical field and worked in a Level ! Trauma center I was low man on the totem pole and had to work on Sundays. Do you think Jesus is going to send me to hell for working on Sunday(s)? No because He Himself healed a dude on the Sabbath.
                    ON the other side of the coin I know people and businesses that refused to work or be open on Sunday... and God blessed them for that [Because they made time to put Him first on that day].

Comment

• Dude. I was just pointing out a historical fact. I'm only a stickler for accuracy merely because I LIKE ACCURACY. Not because I think inaccuracy is a sin. That would be goofy.

Comment

Dude. I was just pointing out a historical fact. I'm only a stickler for accuracy merely because I LIKE ACCURACY. Not because I think inaccuracy is a sin. That would be goofy.
                        Okay then....I will bow out of this thread.

Comment

...Therefore.... to say that the Sabbath is on a certain day [vehemently--as if you don't worship on this certain day you are committing a sin] is to be Pharisaical in the keeping of the letter of the law...
                          IronyMeterSplode.jpg
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]12508[/ATTACH]
                            Don't you love it when a True Pharisee comes along accusing us (falsely) of being Pharisaical?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• derp. Of course we know what day the sabbath is on. The seventh day. Saturday. duh.

gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

ex 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

Comment

Okay then....I will bow out of this thread.
                                Translation: Oops I was caught mistaking the mirror for a monitor when I falsely accused others of being the pharisee I have shown my self in other threads to be. I'd better leave to try and hide the fact that I'm a Pharisaical false accuser of my brethren who needs to get a life.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X