Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bad news from El Nino and climate change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news from El Nino and climate change

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/el-nino-strengthening-will-be-among-biggest-on-record-wmo-says/

© Copyright Original Source

Remember the forecast of more, and more intense, hurricanes?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Remember the forecast of more, and more intense, hurricanes?
        Some year, I'm going to have to look into what's involved in making year-to-year hurricane forecasts. I really have no idea what they use as inputs to try to predict on an intermediate time scale like that. Especially given that complex factors like the amount of dust blowing west out of the Sahara seems to influence hurricane formation.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          Some year, I'm going to have to look into what's involved in making year-to-year hurricane forecasts. I really have no idea what they use as inputs to try to predict on an intermediate time scale like that. Especially given that complex factors like the amount of dust blowing west out of the Sahara seems to influence hurricane formation.
          Understood, but that sure adds to the "boy who cried wolf" factor. There have been a number of dire predictions (Al Gore is King of these, of course) that really hurt the narrative.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Understood, but that sure adds to the "boy who cried wolf" factor. There have been a number of dire predictions (Al Gore is King of these, of course) that really hurt the narrative.
            Last edited by TheLurch; 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment

From around 1970 (earth day)

And, my all time favorite:

If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.

Comment

It's all about perception, Lurch - the average Joe doesn't care about the nuances of particle science vs Newtonian vs climate science.... it's the endless parade of doomsday prophesies that we're all gonna die in some horrible scenario if we don't "do something about the weather".

Comment

El nino isn't exactly "bad news" depending on where you live. Lately its been giving rain to parched parts of California Although the ground is so dry its causing mudslides. It brings drought to some and rain to others. Areas that might have strong monsoons, see a break, and areas that are parched see lots of rain. It does affect pacific hurricanes allowing them to strengthen (can be bad). And bring warm winters to northern areas that are typically sub freezing (woohoo !!!!)

Mehh it might make our midwest winter a little moister (AHHH Joint relief) and icier (eek)

Some tropical regions see drying. Its bad for cocaine and oranges. ( drat I love oranges and santa covered coke bottles no really de cocanized coca is used in coke) But it does go away
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.
                    They were playing videos in my grade school classes making similar predictions that have repeatedly shown to be false. It was blatant fear mongering. It's like the secular version of "Blood Moons" that was(is?) being pushed.

Comment

Chicken Little would be proud.

Comment

It's all about perception, Lurch - the average Joe doesn't care about the nuances of particle science vs Newtonian vs climate science.... it's the endless parade of doomsday prophesies that we're all gonna die in some horrible scenario if we don't "do something about the weather".
                        Look, i can't change your perceptions for you. And i think that an endless parade of doomsday prophecies is stupid and exaggerated too.

But some of these things aren't problems purely because we acted. There are now hawks and falcons living in New York City because the populations have boomed since we restricted DDT. The Hudson is clean enough that it's safe to swim in it. Acid rain is no longer a problem in the lakes and forests upstate. I can literally see the differences around me, having lived in the area for roughly 50 years.

So, my question is what would change your perceptions on something in a way that convinced you that it's worth acting on?

Comment

And in a couple hundred billion years the Milky Way Galaxy will be colliding with another galaxy (the Greater Magellanic Cloud?). Scientists are studying ways to stop this cataclysmic collision.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                            There are now hawks and falcons living in New York City because the populations have boomed since we restricted DDT.
                            The whole DDT thing turns out to have been false. Population turnarounds resulted from other actions. 'Silent Spring' turns out to have been wrong. DDT did not cause the shells of eggs to be thinner and more fragile. Sure some action shave been good. It is a long jump from not pouring garbage and toxins in rivers, to changing the weather.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              They were playing videos in my grade school classes making similar predictions that have repeatedly shown to be false. It was blatant fear mongering. It's like the secular version of "Blood Moons" that was(is?) being pushed.
                              Yup, the fearmongering they were doing in the 60's and 70's in my school, and in "The Weekly Reader", was the coming ice age and overpopulation. As if I didn't have enough to worry about with the Cuban Missile Crisis!

Comment