Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can we discuss this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Can we prove this? Can we discuss the reasons for this being the case?
    Yes! But I'd love to see your response to my posts first.

Comment

• I'm heading to bed though as its getting late over here. Goodnight.

Comment

• Night, Leo!

Wait, how are we defining 'night'?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Can we prove this? Can we discuss the reasons for this being the case?
          You can't actually 'prove' a definition. Definitions are just ... Definitions. It's all part of setting up a mathematical system.

It's like chess: the rules are that bishops can only move diagonally. If you move your bishop horizontally you're not playing chess anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            1/0 is undefined.
            I'm not arguing for the result of 1/0 to be defined, but that the operation of division be extended to having 0 as divisor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              I'm not arguing for the result of 1/0 to be defined, but that the operation of division be extended to having 0 as divisor.
              I'm not sure what you're talking about then. If 1/0 can't have any value, what meaning does it say to extend division to include 0 as a divisor?

Comment

I'm not sure what you're talking about then. If 1/0 can't have any value, what meaning does it say to extend division to include 0 as a divisor?
                I distinguish between whether the operation is defined over the values used, and whether the result of the operation is defined:

Using the basic definition of infinite series, the operation of infinite series is defined for 1-2+3-4+..., ie. a_i=i*(-1)^(i+1); the operation 'makes sense' even though the result is not defined. Are you with me at this point?

Comment

I distinguish between whether the operation is defined over the values used, and whether the result of the operation is defined:

Using the basic definition of infinite series, the operation of infinite series is defined for 1-2+3-4+..., ie. a_i=i*(-1)^(i+1); the operation 'makes sense' even though the result is not defined. Are you with me at this point?
                  I think so, but if you want to be completely pedantic: there's no such thing as 'operation of infinite series'. If you mean that there's a partial sum for infinite series consisting of

and that this terms partial sum is divergent, and therefore that result its result is undefined... Yes we agree. Though there are alternative summation methods that can in fact produce a convergent value from the partial sum.

Did you follow that?
                  Last edited by Leonhard; 02-02-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    There's an extra "e" in the title. Vowels cost money!
                    Ye olde discussione on mathematicse.
                    Last edited by Zymologist; 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I think so, but if you want to be completely pedantic: there's no such thing as 'operation of infinite series'. If you mean that there's a partial sum for infinite series consisting of

and that this terms partial sum is divergent, and therefore that result its result is undefined... Yes we agree. Though there are alternative summation methods that can in fact produce a convergent value from the partial sum.

Did you follow that?
                      That was pretty elementary.

Therefore we can define the operation of division for the divisor 0 as lim (x->0) a/x even though the result is not defined, hence we get rid of that inelegant hole.

Comment

Therefore we can define the operation of division for the divisor 0 as lim (x->0) a/x even though the result is not defined, hence we get rid of that inelegant hole.
                        And what value would you plug into that "inelegant" hole?

Comment

And what value would you plug into that "inelegant" hole?
                          Why should I need to?

Comment

Why should I need to?
                            How else are you going to get rid of a hole? The function f(x) = 1/x, remains defined for all x, except, x = 0.

Comment

How else are you going to get rid of a hole?
                              The hole I was referring to was that the division operator was not defined for all real divisors. That hole is plugged, but not every hole can be plugged.

Comment

The hole I was referring to was that the division operator was not defined for all real divisors. That hole is plugged, but not every hole can be plugged.
                                You haven't actually defined it for all Real divisors, though. You've simply kicked the can down the road, a bit.

The is undefined. So, if you say that the division operator over a divisor of 0 is equivalent to this limit, you still have not defined it.
                                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment