Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Need Help With Reading Comprehension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    From this paragraph alone, I think the author only considers evolutionary theory to be an example of scientism when used by a theologian as a source for a new religion. So, although I'm sure he does not like evolutionary theory, he doesn't call it scientism, at lease not in this paragraph.
    Then I guess we disagree. I read him as saying evolutionary theory IS scientism. Yes, in the quoted paragraph it's being used as a source for a new religion, but that's not the point. The topic sentence says that "scientism" is science "that has not hesitated to wade into the domain of religion. Creating a new religion is simply one way this wading can be done, since a new religion is surely within the "doman of religion."

Otherwise, you are left arguing that brain studies and "ecothology" are also only "scientism" when deployed as part of a new religion. To me, the thrust is much more general - that where science dares to invade what the author regards as the private reserve of religion, it is ipso facto scientism.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
      Then I guess we disagree. I read him as saying evolutionary theory IS scientism. Yes, in the quoted paragraph it's being used as a source for a new religion, but that's not the point. The topic sentence says that "scientism" is science "that has not hesitated to wade into the domain of religion. Creating a new religion is simply one way this wading can be done, since a new religion is surely within the "doman of religion."

Otherwise, you are left arguing that brain studies and "ecothology" are also only "scientism" when deployed as part of a new religion. To me, the thrust is much more general - that where science dares to invade what the author regards as the private reserve of religion, it is ipso facto scientism.
      Evolutionary theory is only mentioned in this paragraph when used by a theologian as a source for this new religion. This is science wading into the domain of religion. Nowhere is it said here that evolutionary theory itself is wading into the domain of religion when it is not used as a source of a new religion. It all depends on whether we want to give the author the benefit of the doubt, which I am admittedly not generally inclined to do with AIG authors, and read his text without reading into it what we suspect might be the unworthy opinion of an AIG author. There is no reason to suspect that the AIG author considers all brain studies to be scientism, but rather the brain studies here mentioned that attempt to localize the part of the brain responsible for traditional religion. And ecotheology is itself a theological position akin to pantheism.
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
        The topic sentence says that "scientism" is science "that has not hesitated to wade into the domain of religion.
        I was wondering if people were getting a bit caught up in that first part where the author says "Science, or more accurately “scientism,” has not hesitated to wade into the domain of religion." I read that as a clarification. Its not science per se that has waded into the domain of religion, but specifically a type of philosophical view concerning science, namely scientism. This is confirmed when we read the other article that shows that he seems to accept what he considers "legitimate science" which he says "depend(s) on observability, repeatablility and testability of all phenomena it would seek to explain".

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          I don't think it needs much reading between the lines. It's how I read it the first time and see no reason to change my mind, even though usually when lilpixie or shuny say something, you can take it to the bank.
          Do you need another hug Darthy?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Similar to Dawkins and the New Atheist scientists preaching a form of scientism, the latter being philosophy not science and not necessarily following from the former.

K54

Comment

Evolutionary theory is only mentioned in this paragraph when used by a theologian as a source for this new religion. This is science wading into the domain of religion. Nowhere is it said here that evolutionary theory itself is wading into the domain of religion when it is not used as a source of a new religion. It all depends on whether we want to give the author the benefit of the doubt, which I am admittedly not generally inclined to do with AIG authors, and read his text without reading into it what we suspect might be the unworthy opinion of an AIG author. There is no reason to suspect that the AIG author considers all brain studies to be scientism, but rather the brain studies here mentioned that attempt to localize the part of the brain responsible for traditional religion. And ecotheology is itself a theological position akin to pantheism.
              It is probably best if you read through more of AIG's works involving evolution, global warming and other science issues that AIG describes as scientism, or the result of scientism. AIG describes evolution, global warming and cosmology of billions of years, as the result of scientism, bad science, speculating on past events without adequate evidence. They describe good science as resulting in the technology of the modern world such as; computers, airplanes, and modern medicine.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                It is probably best if you read through more of AIG's works involving evolution, global warming and other science issues that AIG describes as scientism, or the result of scientism. AIG describes evolution, global warming and cosmology of billions of years, as the result of scientism, bad science, speculating on past events without adequate evidence. They describe good science as resulting in the technology of the modern world such as; computers, airplanes, and modern medicine.
                Definitely not a good use of my time. I've already said what I suspect an AIG author might be thinking or believe or perhaps even say elsewhere, and it was in line with your reading of this paragraph, but I am content to read this paragraph for what it actually says, and I have no desire to engage any of my time, time being one of the most valuable of all commodities of all, if it even is a commodity, on any other writings by AIG. I prefer to read Genesis for the intent of the authors, and its interpretation by pivotal rabbis and theologians who respect the text in accord with good methodological premises.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  Similar to Dawkins and the New Atheist scientists preaching a form of scientism, the latter being philosophy not science and not necessarily following from the former.

K54
                  Your response is an example of a problem with definitions and use of the word 'scientism.' You describe the 'New Atheist scientists preaching a form of scientism . . .' It is more concise and accurate to simply say they believe in Methodological Natural. As far as a form of scientism, what form? since the AIG folks use it differently. This is the reason I consider the word 'scientism' vague and subject to misuse. The definition that wiki gives is equivalent to 'methodological naturalism,' the description given by a 'professor' is more vague and messy.

Comment

Your response is an example of a problem with definitions and use of the word 'scientism.' You describe the 'New Atheist scientists preaching a form of scientism . . .' It is more concise and accurate to simply say they believe in Methodological Natural. As far as a form of scientism, what form? since the AIG folks use it differently. This is the reason I consider the word 'scientism' vague and subject to misuse. The definition that wiki gives is equivalent to 'methodological naturalism,' the description given by a 'professor' is more vague and messy.
                    What term would you propose as a derogatory characterization of an overreaching sceintific worldview that supposedly denigrates or eschews philosophy or sometimes even social sciences?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      I was wondering if people were getting a bit caught up in that first part where the author says "" I read that as a clarification. Its not science per se that has waded into the domain of religion, but specifically a type of philosophical view concerning science, namely scientism. This is confirmed when we read the other article that shows that he seems to accept what he considers "legitimate science" which he says "depend(s) on observability, repeatablility and testability of all phenomena it would seek to explain".
                      I parse it the same way as Adrift. I think what the author means is "what some would call science has waded into the domain of religion. But this is not really science per se, it is scientism, a metaphysical/philosophical position which is often confused with science, especially by the general public." At least, this is the way that I would have said it. Since the author is from a YEC organization, he may not have thought clearly enough about the topic to explain it in this way.

Comment

If the author thought science was scientism, then they wouldn't have specified that they were more accurately speaking about "scientism". A member of this group, who it is implied believes in scientism, suggested that evolutionary theory could be the source for a new religion, but that is not the same as saying evolutionary theory is scientism. Perhaps the author does think that, but that is not something that should be learned from this paragraph alone.
                        "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                          If the author thought science was scientism, then they wouldn't have specified that they were more accurately speaking about "scientism". A member of this group, who it is implied believes in scientism, suggested that evolutionary theory could be the source for a new religion, but that is not the same as saying evolutionary theory is scientism. Perhaps the author does think that, but that is not something that should be learned from this paragraph alone.
                          Exactly, though it may be more precise to say that the members (according to the author) were guided by the ideology of scientism (knowingly or not), rather than that they were necessarily believers in scientism. At least, that was my reading, but maybe that's a distinction without a difference.

Comment

What term would you propose as a derogatory characterization of an overreaching sceintific worldview that supposedly denigrates or eschews philosophy or sometimes even social sciences?
                            I avoid this kind negative judgment in this case because it is anecdotal, and in reality it is not likely a group world view that 'supposedly denigrates or eschews philosophy or sometimes social sciences,' I believe this represents individual scientists that have a bad attitude as you describe. The atheists and strong agnostics may be grouped as Metaphysical Naturalists if they believe that there is no other foundation for our existence other then the physical existence itself as understood by science.

Comment

I avoid this kind negative judgment in this case because it is anecdotal, and in reality it is not likely a group world view that 'supposedly denigrates or eschews philosophy or sometimes social sciences,' I believe this represents individual scientists that have a bad attitude as you describe. The atheists and strong agnostics may be grouped as Metaphysical Naturalists if they believe that there is no other foundation for our existence other then the physical existence itself as understood by science.
                              Please note, I am not asking you if you want to apply such a label to anyone or any group in particular, but, for those who do, rightly or wrongly, what term would you propose as a derogatory characterization of an overreaching scientific worldview that supposedly denigrates or eschews philosophy or sometimes even social sciences? The term 'metaphysical naturalist' is itself something of an oxymoron. Do you intend it to carry a derogatory meaning? Metaphysicians who deny any value to metaphysics? Or, more neutrally, people who deny any value to metaphysics? And what of those who merely question or deny the scientific character of the social sciences or even biology? Do you deny the use of the label of scientism for those who, rightly or wrongly, fit in this category? I think you will find that trying to get everyone in the world to use your terminology, and only your terminology, is a futile and comical endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Sounds like you're describing a sort of deism. As a Christian, how would you square that with Paul's words in Romans 1:19-20?
                                No, but it's possible I don't understand why you thought of deism.

Comment