Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Flat Earthers and academic credentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Earthers and academic credentials

Well, I was discussing with a fundamentalist these days, and I pointed out how I resorted to PhD people and peer-reviewed research to back up my science claims. In addition of accusing me of ''having no opinion of your own'', he said that ''Phd's aren't always right'' (which is something obvious to attest, to say the least).

An an example of the latter, he pointed out that Einstein and Galileo thought that the Earth was ''round'', and some ''loony'' (by his own admission) scholars currently claim that the Earth is flat.

But, I thought: hey, wait? Do any ''Flat Earthers'' actually have PhD's in the relevant scientific fields, or have any published peer-reviewed literature?

Do you guys have any info on this?

You are guaranteed not to have flat earthers in peer-reviewed literature since this would be too controversial to be considered for publication.

I was looking at some stuff on this since there was a lot of hype in 2019 about it. The closest I saw were a couple airline pilots that found indications that the earth was "flat." One group wanted to get some ring laser gyros to do some tests.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      You are guaranteed not to have flat earthers in peer-reviewed literature since this would be too controversial to be considered for publication.
      They wouldn't have any peer-reviewed articles in support of a flat earth, but they could have peer-reviewed articles and still be flat earthers.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
        Well, I was discussing with a fundamentalist these days, and I pointed out how I resorted to PhD people and peer-reviewed research to back up my science claims. In addition of accusing me of ''having no opinion of your own'', he said that ''Phd's aren't always right'' (which is something obvious to attest, to say the least).

An an example of the latter, he pointed out that Einstein and Galileo thought that the Earth was ''round'', and some ''loony'' (by his own admission) scholars currently claim that the Earth is flat.

But, I thought: hey, wait? Do any ''Flat Earthers'' actually have PhD's in the relevant scientific fields, or have any published peer-reviewed literature?

Did he give any specific names of who the "loony scholars" in question were?

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post

I'm not aware of any flat earther with a PhD, but that doesn't mean there's not one out there.

Your friend is correct in that, if you look hard enough, you can find someone with a PhD who's willing to say almost ANYTHING. The training involved should help people recognize the flaws in their own reasoning, the risks of Dunning-Kruger, etc. But it clearly doesn't stick for everyone.

(And i say this as someone with a PhD).
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            I'm not aware of any flat earther with a PhD, but that doesn't mean there's not one out there.

Your friend is correct in that, if you look hard enough, you can find someone with a PhD who's willing to say almost ANYTHING. The training involved should help people recognize the flaws in their own reasoning, the risks of Dunning-Kruger, etc. But it clearly doesn't stick for everyone.

(And i say this as someone with a PhD).
            The PhD may have come from a perforated roll, or mail order with two box tops. Education does not enlighten, and there are many . . . ah PHDs that believe in weird stuff like YEC Creation of our physical existence.

There was a reasonably educated member of Tweb in the past that argued persistently for a Flat Earth, but I do not remember him much.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-12-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The PhD may have come from a perforated roll, or mail order with two box tops. Education does not enlighten, and there are many . . . ah PHDs that believe in weird stuff like YEC Creation of our physical existence.

There was a reasonably educated member of Tweb in the past that argued persistently for a Flat Earth, but I do not remember him much.
              I assume you're thinking of JohnMartin, though I don't really know what his education credentials were. I'm also not sure I would say he "argued persistently for a Flat Earth" because while he presented arguments for it, his attitude was more one of thinking it was a possibility (e.g. see here).

What he definitely did argue persistently for, and was a staunch believer in, was geocentrism.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                I assume you're thinking of JohnMartin, though I don't really know what his education credentials were. I'm also not sure I would say he "argued persistently for a Flat Earth" because while he presented arguments for it, his attitude was more one of thinking it was a possibility (e.g. see here).

What he definitely did argue persistently for, and was a staunch believer in, was geocentrism.
                I believe both arguments are equally problematic. Even arguing for the possibility is a stretch outside reality. As I remember John Martin had reasonable grasp of math and was articulate in his argument, which indicated some college.

I believe there is a Flat Earth Society, and one that believes of Geocentrism, maybe both
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-12-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Apparently they could not afford the $19.95 and two box tops.

Comment

Does she? The only thing I can find in regards to her and Flat Earth is that she wrote an article in the Skeptical Inquirer about the above controversy. Unfortunately, I can only read the first few sentences of her article without a subscription, so I suppose she could have then spent the whole thing talking about how the Earth is flat... but I have some major doubts that the Skeptical Inquirer published an essay arguing that.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Apparently they could not afford the $19.95 and two box tops.
                            What was it that Jorge spent for his? $49 or something like that.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Skeptical Inquirer where she denounced it: "A Doctoral Dissertation on a Geocentric Flat Earth: 'Zetetic' Astronomy at the University Level"

Comment