Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jorge's opportunity to debate specific data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    You do realize, of course, that by making statements such as the one above you bring condemnation upon yourself and all other Theistic Evolutionists. What I mean is, Atheists can at least claim the excuse* of not knowing God and God's Word whereas Theistic Evolutionists claim to know God and His Word yet they "shade the truth", they are "incompetent and careless" and as a result they "lead many people astray" (little ones and big ones). Ergo, I would advise you to be much more careful of what you say, O-Mudd, lest you condemn yourself.

* It's just an 'excuse' because God tells us that "they (all) are without excuse" (Romans 1)

Jorge
    No more so than anyone else Jorge. The finger is always pointing back at ourselves. The issue is Jorge, when a person knowingly (and this is key Jorge, knowingly), distorts what they know is true in order to manipulate the opinions of others, they are engaging in WILLFUL deception. It is very, very unlikely ANY of us have it all right. In fact it is guaranteed we don't. "For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face".

You have avoided the issues over and over. You will not address the issue of whether or not the quotes themselves have been corrupted and made to say other than the authors intent. I have given you all you need to assess that, and still you refuse. And what all this says about you Jorge is that you would rather play the game than live the truth. If you were interested in the truth, we would be discussing the quotes and what they meant in context, what they meant as used and whether or not they were distorted, and how likely the distortion was to be purposeful.

The Sarfati/Davies 'evidence' for a Young Earth that claims there are no SNR's that appear older than 10,000 years (or rather, that should be more than 10,000 years old based on certain assumptions about how quickly the remnant disperses) is in fact a lie. There never was evidence for missing SNR's >10,000 years of age. There is no a hard cutoff of age, and their never was. The author(s) of this 'evidence' manufactured support for the claim by twisting some suitable quotes out of context and making them imply they had a legitimate case to make. They took information that referred to quantity, not age, and in one case (the 'mystery' quote) they took information that referred to a specific anomaly (fewer SNRs in the magellenic clouds as related to the number FOUND in the milky way) and used it to imply astronomers recognize their claim as valid and have even written papers that profess confusion over the matter. A two-fold distortion of the comment.

Further, you quoted a YEC in support of your own belief that short period comets present a problem for billions of years (though not millions) that the Oort cloud is a manufactured and desperate solution to that problem. And that YEC quoted Carl Sagan out of context to imply that there was no evidence for the Oort cloud and to imply that Sagan believed scientists write papers about the Oort cloud without a shred of evidence, when in fact Sagan covers the evidence in that section of the quoted book, and the quote itself is marveling at the capacity to discover amazing facts about the universe by indirect means, without direct (keyword) observations, not expressing any sort of dismay over the lack of evidence for the Oort cloud.

Both of these instances are deceptions aimed at a trusting audience. Deceptions designed to make that audience believe two things that are false:

1) That powerful scientific evidence for a universe <10,000 years old exists. Evidence that even 'secular' scientists admit is true (which they don't)
    2) That 'secular' scientists 'hide' from themselves and others the 'truth' about how 'weak' their case is

BOTH of these messages are lies. Falsehoods. Deceptions designed to trick the people that trust them.

And that is wrong Jorge. It is in a word evil. And it is exactly the kind of thing Christ was addressing in my quote of His words.

And if you can show that somehow I am doing the same thing, then I would be as evil as they are. But I can tell you this, I have never willingly changed the words of another or taken them out of context and made them mean something they never meant to say as part of supporting the reasons I believe what I believe. Never. So the comparison you try to make simply does not exist. I could be wrong, just as you could be wrong. And that is why we must both prayerfully seek God for guidence and freedom from our own personal biases.

But what we are talking about here is clearly documented (though you will not avail yourself of that actual source material and compare it to how it was used). And it is clearly a distortion for the purpose of deception. The only possible caveat is that there is the small theoretical possibility this could be carelessness or negligence as opposed to purposed.

But the continued and purposed JUSTIFICATION of the misquote by Sarfati and others is very, very strong evidence that theoretical possibility simply doesn't exist.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-07-2014, 11:59 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      No more so than anyone else Jorge. The finger is always pointing back at ourselves. The issue is Jorge, when a person knowingly (and this is key Jorge, knowingly), distorts what they know is true in order to manipulate the opinions of others, they are engaging in WILLFUL deception. It is very, very unlikely ANY of us have it all right. In fact it is guaranteed we don't. "For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face".
      You are certainly not going to get an argument from me on that. Very true: NO ONE has it all right. In fact, no one has most or even much of it right. What matters, IMHO, is that at least the essentials are right. One essential is that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob exists and is the Creator of all that is.

Another essential is that God gave us His Word - which we refer to as His Special Revelation - as proof that He IS and as the only way for us to know the truth of things that otherwise we could/would never know. Then, men "professing to be wise thus becoming fools" thought that they could supplant God's Word with their own theories, philosophies and vain imaginations. Satan also uses this as a way to ask each and every one of us what he asked Eve - "Yea, hath God said?" IOW, Satan wishes to create doubt on what GOD CLEARLY, LITERALLY has stated so that men would disregard God's Word and, as a result, sin and death would follow. Is any of this clicking?

Both of these instances are deceptions aimed at a trusting audience. Deceptions designed to make that audience believe two things that are false:

1) That powerful scientific evidence for a universe <10,000 years old exists. Evidence that even 'secular' scientists admit is true (which they don't)
      2) That 'secular' scientists 'hide' from themselves and others the 'truth' about how 'weak' their case is

BOTH of these messages are lies. Falsehoods. Deceptions designed to trick the people that trust them.
      Wrong you are. People are free to investigate for themselves and I have always strongly encouraged them to do so. There are many, many (well over one hundred) empirical observations - repeatable, testable, verifiable... scientific - that do not agree with millions/billions of years. This does NOT mean that these things "seal the case" for or against a young Earth-universe. What they mean is that the case for millions/billions of years is NOT an open-and-shut case as you believe and would like others to believe.

Furthermore, setting aside all of the empirical observations, we have to consider the far more important THEOLOGICAL implications of millions/billions of years. I've lost count of how many times I have mentioned this critical fact to you and others.

ONE MORE TIME: all of the empirical evidence tells us that a man cannot walk unaided on the surface of a stormy sea. That is undeniable. So, should you then regard that biblical account as "myth, allegory or a fabrication" based on the empirical ("scientific") evidence? Should you?

Suppose you don't do that - you accept the story as historically factual. Then you will be accused of "believing in things that oppose established scientific laws and principles" (such as gravity and fluid surface tension). You can hide behind your faith and say, "it was a miracle and I choose to believe it" but the accusers will not be satisfied because they will come back at you with, "Ah, yet you choose to NOT accept the 6-day creation because of the empirical observations - you are being inconsistent".

Okay, so suppose you choose to NOT accept the "walking on water" account because it opposes the aforementioned scientific laws and principles. Then you think to yourself, "Which is more critical to my spiritual life: the theological implications of dismissing the miracles in the Bible or the scientific implications of accepting the miracles of the Bible?"

The answer is rather obvious - methinks. If a person dismisses the miracles in the Bible because they oppose scientific laws and principles then that person may as well throw the Bible away and with that his/her claim that (s)he is a Christian. BTW, I used only one example (walking on water) but there are, as you know, well over a hundred miracles.

WE CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS ... WE CANNOT PICK-N-CHOOSE ... IT'S ONE OR THE OTHER!

And that is wrong Jorge. It is in a word evil. And it is exactly the kind of thing Christ was addressing in my quote of His words.

And if you can show that somehow I am doing the same thing, then I would be as evil as they are. But I can tell you this, I have never willingly changed the words of another or taken them out of context and made them mean something they never meant to say as part of supporting the reasons I believe what I believe. Never. So the comparison you try to make simply does not exist. I could be wrong, just as you could be wrong. And that is why we must both prayerfully seek God for guidence and freedom from our own personal biases.

But what we are talking about here is clearly documented (though you will not avail yourself of that actual source material and compare it to how it was used). And it is clearly a distortion for the purpose of deception. The only possible caveat is that there is the small theoretical possibility this could be carelessness or negligence as opposed to purposed.

But the continued and purposed JUSTIFICATION of the misquote by Sarfati and others is very, very strong evidence that theoretical possibility simply doesn't exist.

Jim
      I do believe that I have more-than-adequately addressed and explained my position in the words that I've written here (above) and I have no desire (or time) to repeat myself.

Jorge

Comment

I do believe that I have more-than-adequately addressed and explained my position in the words that I've written here (above) and I have no desire (or time) to repeat myself.
        Jorge
        You have. And you've demonstrated for all to see that you're an ignoramus when it comes to science, and that your views on creation have been falsified over and over.

But your ARE an entertaining little twit...

K54

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          You have. And you've demonstrated for all to see that you're an ignoramus when it comes to science, and that your views on creation have been falsified over and over.

K54
          I've seen a picture of a frog suspended in the air. Did I jump to the conclusion that if the picture was not faked, then the Law of Gravitation is falsified? I think the picture was not faked. The frog was really suspended in the air. A miracle, then? Not at all. Just a natural phenomenon. If you know EVERYTHING about nature, you probably could figure out what was likely done to get the frog suspended in the air. If you could not figure out how that was done . . . gotcha!

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            I've seen a picture of a frog suspended in the air. Did I jump to the conclusion that if the picture was not faked, then the Law of Gravitation is falsified? I think the picture was not faked. The frog was really suspended in the air. A miracle, then? Not at all. Just a natural phenomenon. If you know EVERYTHING about nature, you probably could figure out what was likely done to get the frog suspended in the air. If you could not figure out how that was done . . . gotcha!
            ???

What are you babbling about? Frogs suspended in mid-air?

This is a joke, right?

K54

Comment

???

What are you babbling about? Frogs suspended in mid-air?

This is a joke, right?

K54
              I see that you're ignorant about this ALSO (like Pinnochio's nose, that list just keeps growing!).

Nope, it's no joke ...

Your mission - should you decide to accept it - is to discover how this can be done. If you are
              caught or killed, you're on your own. This post will self-destruct the next time T-Web crashes.

Jorge
              Last edited by Jorge; 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Let me guess - someone filled the poor frog with iron filings then used a magnet to "levitate" it. Right?

Comment

K54

Jorge

Comment

Suspended in mid-air, or in the middle of a jump?
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Jorge
                      Snore all you want, Coward. Now how about you 1) Defend your C&Ped screed on a YEC "explanation" of the Grand Canyon? 2) Give your unambiguous, plain, simple, straightforward, direct literal reading of the first Genesis story -- you can start with Ge 1:2-3.

Whadda a'skered, you little coward? Come on, your pre-teen Baptist Sunday School class awaits your apologetic.

K54

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                        Let me guess - someone filled the poor frog with iron filings then used a magnet to "levitate" it. Right?
                        Whatta ya know - I guessed it!

A frog is levitated using a 10 tesla magnetic coil using diamagnetism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Suspended in mid-air, or in the middle of a jump?
                          Actually, I seem to remember a video of one suspended in mid-air. Some kind of magnetic device had it floating in a little tube.

There is an article here.

ETA: Dang, ninja'd.

Comment

• Why do people do that?!

I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              Why do people do that?!

Levitate frogs, or ninja other people? I certainly don't have an answer for the former.

Comment

• At first I thought it was going to be this picture of the famous NASA frog sent skyward by the launch blast.

Comment