Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethics And Evolutionary Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    But I'm not a materialist FF. There is nothing to overcome if materialism is correct - we are just animals doing what animals do.
    I think what you are saying is that your view of materialism in incompatible with your view of the nature of human beings. Part of the difficulty is that the processes by which emergent phenomena like consciousness arise are not well understood. We are certain that they are emergent properties because the full list of moving parts for the relevant energy scale, are known. The fact that materialism it is not yet properly understood does not mean that Dualism or something like it must be correct. Dualism is discussed at a philosophical level but to get answers to philosophical questions you have to do science.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 05-09-2014, 05:05 AM.

Comment

No I'm not. I'm saying that the only this that matters, in the end, is survival.
      I think your confusion may stem from a severe misunderstanding of what "survival of the fittest" entails.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I think your confusion may stem from a severe misunderstanding of what "survival of the fittest" entails.
        Then what is more important than survival?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ggression.html

all of its adult males
        Here you had one group of males destroy another group of males. The males that survive pass on their genes and the ones who didn't don't, at least from that point on. So as far as an evolutionary strategy, where survival is key, the northern males win.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          I think what you are saying is that your view of materialism in incompatible with your view of the nature of human beings. Part of the difficulty is that the processes by which emergent phenomena like consciousness arise are not well understood. We are certain that they are emergent properties because the full list of moving parts for the relevant energy scale, are known. The fact that materialism it is not yet properly understood does not mean that Dualism or something like it must be correct. Dualism is discussed at a philosophical level but to get answers to philosophical questions you have to do science.
          Wrong FF, it is about what man is by nature. I know some very intelligent Christians who are materialists like Dr. Peter van Inwagen. So whether dualism is correct or not has no bearing on the question. But Dr. van Inwagen, like me, believes that human beings were created for a purpose and are image bearers of God. We are not biological accidents with no inherent worth.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But I'm not a materialist FF. There is nothing to overcome if materialism is correct - we are just animals doing what animals do.
            Animals do what animals do, including humans, regardless of the many varied philosophical views from materialism, theism, agnosticism, Deism or whatever. The sciences of evolution, and other behavioral or biological disciplines are simply descriptive of the natural nature of life.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
              Evolutionary speaking - neither. Evolution has no perspective, any more than rainfall has a perspective. Both are natural processes.

From a human perspective, bad for the group that was wiped out, good for the group that did the wiping out. From the perspective of both groups, evolutionary advantageous if they had both cooperated?
              There may have been no advantage in cooperation, perhaps there was just not enough feeding ground for both groups, perhaps resources were limited. But from an evolutionary stand point the northern males win, and get to pass on their genes - and that is all that matters in the end - correct?

Comment

There may have been no advantage in cooperation, perhaps there was just not enough feeding ground for both groups, perhaps resources were limited. But from an evolutionary stand point the northern males win, and get to pass on their genes - and that is all that matters in the end - correct?
                No that is not all that matters, cooperation in many higher species, in fact most species even down to microrganism, in many forms is directly found essential to survival of different species.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-09-2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Your central error is conflating "good" and "successful"

Your next error is anthropomorphizing a natural process.
                  "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ggression.html

Here you had one group of males destroy another group of males. The males that survive pass on their genes and the ones who didn't don't, at least from that point on. So as far as an evolutionary strategy, where survival is key, the northern males win.
                    What is the point here? This a matter of fact observed behavior in humans and other species of life. Cooperation as well is found essential throughout life in most species.

Comment

Wrong FF, it is about what man is by nature. I know some very intelligent Christians who are materialists like Dr. Peter van Inwagen. So whether dualism is correct or not has no bearing on the question. But Dr. van Inwagen, like me, believes that human beings were created for a purpose and are image bearers of God. We are not biological accidents with no inherent worth.

Comment

Reproduction.

Roy
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          Reproduction.

Roy
                          Well yes, because that is needed for survival of the species.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                            Your central error is conflating "good" and "successful"
                            What is the difference from an evolutionary stand point?

Comment

When I say accident I mean there was no overriding plan or purpose for humankind. No one intended our existence. Biological life on this earth was an accident, no intention was involved.

Science tells us that all life is temporary and the Universe will eventually grow cold and dark but in the meantime we should enjoy what we have and decide for ourselves what our purpose is because we are the one animal that that has the power to control its own environment. In short, we create the creator both in fact and fantasy. It is a very responsible position to hold - are we up to the challenge?
                              Oh please...

Comment

What is the difference from an evolutionary stand point?
                                "Good" has nothing to do with evolution, it's an entirely subjective human judgement.

"Successful" is the unambiguous result of a process.

The males of our species have a primal urge to nail every available female that's available. That's a "successful" strategy to disseminate our genes, but we, as a cooperative society have made the subjective judgment, that it is not a "good" thing to do.
                                "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment