Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Giant bugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    They're found throughout much of eastern Asia.
    (grabs a red crayon, starts scribbling out even more countries on his map)
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Forced perspective caused by holding the centipede closer to the camera. That's Scolopendra subspinipes commonly known as the Vietnamese Centipede and has a maximum length of 8 inches.
      Which is still freaking huge.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

It's always fascinated/horrified me how utterly alien insects look to us (or to me, at least). An insect the size of a horse?

LOL no thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Hawaii:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ong-centipede/

Trigger warning for mossy!!! There are NO Catfish pictured in the link!
          Apparently the biggest centipede is the Scolopendra gigantea, a.k.a. Peruvian giant yellow-leg centipede or Amazonian giant centipede, which are found in both South America and the Caribbean and can reach a foot in length. Some people actually keep them as pets.

MOSSY TRIGGER WARNING BELOW!!!1!!1!

00000000000000aa.jpg

Last edited by rogue06; 04-09-2019, 11:55 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apparently the biggest centipede is the Scolopendra gigantea, a.k.a. Peruvian giant yellow-leg centipede or Amazonian giant centipede, which are found in both South America and the Caribbean and can reach a foot in length. Some people actually keep them as pets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36194[/ATTACH]

Lovecraft would be so proud.

Comment

Thank you for saving this information for after i've visited Peru.
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Rain Forests are likely higher in Oxygen encouraging larger insects. I grew up in Central and South America, and the insects are generally larger than in temperate climates.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  I saw some centipedes in Jamaica that were about 8 or 9 inches long.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Handling giant centipedes roguetech style

ANOTHER MOSSY TRIGGER WARNING!!!!!11!!

Comment

They're not the biggest arthropods though - coconut crabs, spider crabs, giant isopods and lobsters are all bigger.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36194[/ATTACH]

I have seen these visiting Peru.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                          Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          I have seen these visiting Peru.
                          And now TL is going to have retroactive nightmares.

Comment

Trigger warning for, oh never mind. too late.

Comment

Rain Forests are likely higher in Oxygen encouraging larger insects. I grew up in Central and South America, and the insects are generally larger than in temperate climates.

i remember as a kid wandering around in the Jungles of Costa Rica and collecting the insect like horned beetles with 8"+ wingspans. wasps with 3"wing spans, and of course turanchilas.

Comment

i remember as a kid wandering around in the Jungles of Costa Rica and collecting the insect like horned beetles with 8"+ wingspans. wasps with 3"wing spans, and of course turanchilas.
                                nope.gif

Comment