Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

�Alarming� Study Claiming Global Warming Heating Up Oceans Based on Math Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Thank you for at least addressing the issue...unlike some.

I don't think it's true true that scientists just blindly accept and publish papers that confirm their bias, although I gathered this was the import of CP's OP. The same could be said of Trump and his supporters blindly confirming their bias againsthttps://www.sciencedaily.com/news/sc...mental_policy/
    So your response to me addressing the issue is to change the subject and use whataboutism?

The study referenced in the OP was accepted by the journal, published and accepted by the entire climate warming scientific community, quoted in newspapers and on TV as gospel, UNTIL one single 'climate denier' found a glaring error on the first page of the study.

So yeah, in this case at least, AGW scientists just blindly accepted and published a paper that confirm their bias. Ipso facto. Which is why CP started a thread on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So your response to me addressing the issue is to change the subject and use whataboutism?

The study referenced in the OP was accepted by the journal, published and accepted by the entire climate warming scientific community, quoted in newspapers and on TV as gospel, UNTIL one single 'climate denier' found a glaring error on the first page of the study.

So yeah, in this case at least, AGW scientists just blindly accepted and published a paper that confirm their bias. Ipso facto. Which is why CP started a thread on it.
      Perhaps that's why Tassy tries so hard to change the subject and derail the topic, while accusing others of doing the same.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Exactly, CP started the thread, just like you said, in order to suggest that the entire scientific community could be wrong concerning climate change because, like the author of this study, they must all be biased and so they just blindly accept any study in confirmation of that bias. CP is a funny guy like that, he always says "I don't believe this, I don't support that, but then he goes on to support and defend those very things. It's as though he believes things, but he's embarrassed that he believes them. Kind of weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Exactly, CP started the thread, just like you said,
          Uh oh, folks, this always means Jimmy's about to tell a "big un"....

in order to suggest that the entire scientific community could be wrong
          And there it is ---- typical ignorant jackass failed mind reading.

I started the thread for discussion, and ended up, surprisingly, having a decent conversation with Starlight.

Don't you have a NAMBLA meeting to attend, Jimmy?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Uh oh, folks, this always means Jimmy's about to tell a "big un"....

And there it is ---- typical ignorant jackass failed mind reading.

I started the thread for discussion, and ended up, surprisingly, having a decent conversation with Starlight.

Don't you have a NAMBLA meeting to attend, Jimmy?
            Sorry CP, but your sarcasm in the OP gives you away. "High priests of the order of The Warming Planet, set me straight.

Comment

Sorry CP, but your sarcasm in the OP gives you away. "High priests of the order of The Warming Planet, set me straight.
              Please forgive me for insulting your tender little sensibilities with a little sarcasm, Peewee.

That doens't negate the fact that I actually had a decent conversation with Starlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                [To Tassman] So your response to me addressing the issue is to change the subject and use whataboutism?
                Exactly

Comment

An error was made and it was corrected; the research overall remains valid. This has been been confirmed by the vast majority of professionals in the field including Trump's own administration in it's recent report. A report that Trump, in his wisdom, says is wrong.

Comment

So your response to me addressing the issue is to change the subject...
                    Then he does the same thing he did in the NAMBLA thread ----- "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"...

Comment

An error was made and it was corrected; the research overall remains valid. This has been been confirmed by the vast majority of professionals in the field including Trump's own administration in it's recent report. A report that Trump, in his wisdom, says is wrong.
                      An error was made that was totally ignored by the peer review process and the journal and every other climate scientist out there, until one climate denier found the glaring error on the front page.

That is significant and shows the incredible confirmation bias among the climatologists. If something matches their preconceptions or advances their cause they accept it without question. AGW is more like a cult than science.

Comment

An error was made that was totally ignored by the peer review process and the journal and every other climate scientist out there, until one climate denier found the glaring error on the front page.

That is significant and shows the incredible confirmation bias among the climatologists. If something matches their preconceptions or advances their cause they accept it without question. AGW is more like a cult than science.

Comment

An error was made that was totally ignored by the peer review process...
                          Ah, but Starlight set me straight on the "peer review process" --- it's actually just some of his buddies glancing at his report, slapping him on the back, and saying "good job". Then if somebody OUTSIDE happens to catch the error, "the system worked".

(when the peer review process fails due to confirmation bias, minimize the importance of peer review)

Comment

That sounds familiar. Wise words indeed.

Comment

Ah, but Starlight set me straight on the "peer review process" --- it's actually just some of his buddies glancing at his report, slapping him on the back, and saying "good job". Then if somebody OUTSIDE happens to catch the error, "the system worked".

(when the peer review process fails due to confirmation bias, minimize the importance of peer review)

so according to the very accurate and scientific source, Wikipedia:

Peer review - Wikipedia
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

Scholarly peer review (also known as refereeing) is the process of subjecting an author's scholarly work, research, or ideas to the scrutiny of others who are experts in the same field, before a paper describing this work is published in a journal, conference proceedings or as a book.

And according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information:

Manuscripts have been subjected to the peer review process prior to publication for over 300 years. Currently, the peer review process is used by almost all scientific journals, and The International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy is no exception. Scholarly publication is the means by which new work is communicated and peer review is an important part of this process. Peer review is a vital part of the quality control mechanism that is used to determine what is published, and what is not.
                              https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3474310/

So could it be that our resident Scientist, Starlight, doesn't understand the peer-review process? Or maybe he was trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

Comment

so according to the very accurate and scientific source, Wikipedia:

Peer review - Wikipedia
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

Scholarly peer review (also known as refereeing) is the process of subjecting an author's scholarly work, research, or ideas to the scrutiny of others who are experts in the same field, before a paper describing this work is published in a journal, conference proceedings or as a book.

And according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information:

Manuscripts have been subjected to the peer review process prior to publication for over 300 years. Currently, the peer review process is used by almost all scientific journals, and The International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy is no exception. Scholarly publication is the means by which new work is communicated and peer review is an important part of this process. Peer review is a vital part of the quality control mechanism that is used to determine what is published, and what is not.
                                https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3474310/

So could it be that our resident Scientist, Starlight, doesn't understand the peer-review process? Or maybe he was trying to pull the wool over our eyes?
                                I think Starlight "understands" it just fine -- he was just hoping we would buy his con job.

Comment