Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Would Noah's Ark have floated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    If you accept the story of Noah, then a necessary component would be believing in God and miracles. God could have kept the Ark afloat if it were built of rock.
    This represents an interesting theological problem that God simply made everything to work the way the Bible says regardless of the reality of the physical nature of things.

Also, if this were true, why even bring up the question as to whether the design is seaworthy and sound?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      This represents an interesting theological problem that God simply made everything to work the way the Bible says regardless of the reality of the physical nature of things.

Also, if this were true, why even bring up the question as to whether the design is seaworthy and sound?
      I didn't bring it up.

are you claiming that God cannot do miracles?

Comment

I didn't bring it up.

are you claiming that God cannot do miracles?
        I do not believe you can play the miracle card to explain things at one's convenience, and as far as I can see our physical existence is not subject to the miraculous. As far as the possibility of miracles, they're possible, but I do not believe that believing in miracles is a reason to believe in God. Many miracles that are claimed to occur are more anecdotal claims and not clearly demonstrated beyond believing them on faith.

Comment

Hmmmm... what would we call that... OH YEAH... MIRACLES! Without which the Bible would be "just another book".

Curiosity.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do not believe you can play the miracle card to explain things at one's convenience, and as far as I can see our physical existence is not subject to the miraculous. As far as the possibility of miracles, they're possible, but I do not believe that believing in miracles is a reason to believe in God. Many miracles that are claimed to occur are more anecdotal claims and not clearly demonstrated beyond believing them on faith.
            well if you don't believe in miracles or in a personal God then you wouldn't believe that God told Noah to build the ark in the first place. So your opinion on the matter really doesn't amount to a pile of beans here, shuny.

If God contacted Noah, told him to build the ark, how to build it, caused the animals to go aboard, and then flooded the earth, I seriously doubt keeping the ark afloat would be a problem for him.

Comment

1) Told Noah what to do - check
              2) Told the animals to go with him - check
              3) Sealed up the ark - check
              4) Started the Flood - check
              5) Made sure the ark can float.... Uh-oh...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                1) Told Noah what to do - check
                2) Told the animals to go with him - check
                3) Sealed up the ark - check
                4) Started the Flood - check
                5) Made sure the ark can float.... Uh-oh...

Or, as Bill Cosby would say....

[deep voice] OOOOOOPS [/deep voice]
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think for most of Genesis 1-11 the question from a Christian perspective is not "Could it happen?" because God could do whatever he wanted, but "Was this event likely given what we know?" Same for whether or not the ark could have floated, the question is that of how likely it is that the Noah's ark story is literal.

Of course, if we use the laws of natural science (as this is the natural science section) it seems unlikely that the literal version of the Noah's ark story is true.
                  Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

I do not think the design of the Ark as presented is a viable sea worthy vessel. It may float briefly, but then surely implode, crumble and sink, because of it shear size, and instability of wooden ships this large.
                    Never underestimate the power of gopher wood

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you accept the story of Noah, then a necessary component would be believing in God and miracles. God could have kept the Ark afloat if it were built of rock.

Oh and the guy is wrong about cars too. We lift cars all the time just by using a magnet on the roof (at scrap yards), or using cranes and tow trucks without distorting them as he claims.

Cool that you got photos of when they repossessed your car

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Cool that you got photos of when they repossessed your car
                        I don't believe in ghosts!

Comment

"What floats?"
                          "A stone?"
                          "No..."
                          "A very small stone???"

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                            "What floats?"
                            "A stone?"
                            "No..."
                            "A very small stone???"
                            Pumice

Yeah. I know. I stepped on the joke.

Actually, I stomped on it with spiked boots.

Comment

It's a witch! Burn it!!!!
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Wait, is she a witch if she floats or if she sinks? I always get that one mixed up.
                                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment